Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1993

Rank/Describe what music you bought in 2013

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:28 am

Albums that I bought (or were bought for me) in 2013 ranked from worst to best:

13-Casting Crowns - Acoustic Volume 1 (This was bought for me and isn’t something I would buy myself since Casting Crown’s regular albums are already fairly mellow.)

12-Jars of Clay – Inland (I’m a big Jars fan, but I’ve only listened to this one once and haven’t felt the need to put it back in the cd player – too melancholy. I’m sure I’ll give it another try later. It may grow on me. Websites have given it high marks.)

11-Building 429 – We Won’t Be Shaken (This was bought for me. There are a few good tracks on this one, but even those seem either uninspired or forced.)

10-Jeremy Camp – Reckless (This one was bought for me. A few good songs. His heart seems to be in the right place. This album lacked some originality. He’s “been there and done that.”)

9-The Advice - The Advice (I bought this album because they are from my home state and my wife went to high school with them. They used to be known as Jethro’s Advice. This group has potential. They have a unique sound.)

8-NewSong - Swallow the Ocean (I bought this album after attending a Winter Jam concert. This album is not as good as Give Yourself Away or even One True God, but still worth a listen.)

7-Newsboys – Restart (This was bought for me. This one is too electronic for me, but I surprisingly like some of it. Nonetheless, I miss the Peter Furler years.)

6-John Schlitt - The Christmas Project (Christmas albums are hard to critique because they are usually made of classic songs that you have heard many time previously. However, being that it’s John Schlitt and this album was done in a unique way, I enjoyed this album a lot. I look forward to listening to it next year.)

5-Scott Stapp - Proof of Life (This album was bought for me, but I was going to buy it anyway. This album is very catchy and has some good messages behind it. It’s also very biographical. (You should also read his book, Sinner’s Creed.) It’s downfall is the second track has the word ‘dammit’ in it. At least that’s what some reviews say. I can’t tell on my copy. I bought it at the Christian bookstore and it’s blurred out. Also, some also may not like his use of words, such as “I had to go through hell to get to heaven” and they may not like the track, “Jesus was a Rock Star.” The track is just an analogy though, and may get some people thinking about Jesus that normally wouldn’t.

4-Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights (This album is very uplifting. My favorite track is “Awake My Soul” with Lecrae. My least favorite track is “God’s Great Dance Floor”, but even that one can draw you in. I especially like the use of the trumpet on that song.)

3-Skillet – Rise (This album is just as good as “Comatose” and better than “Awake”. Many of the songs are like battle cry anthems. My biggest complaint about this album is the song, “My Religion.” I understand what it’s trying to say, but others may perceive it as saying that church is not important.)

2-Steven Curtis Chapman - The Glorious Unfolding (This album is very good, though it seems to fizzle out on the second half of the album. I would also like to have had more electric guitar. Nonetheless, the lyrics make up for any of my opinionated musical shortcomings.)

1-Sanctus Real – Run (This band has mellowed with age, as we probably all have. Nonetheless, they are great in concert and still deliver a sonic and spiritual impact. The lyrics on this album hit to the core.)

Feel free to share your list and comment on mine.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Rank/Describe what music you bought in 2013

Post by Boray » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Wow, you buy a lot of music. I don't think I've bought anything in 2013. I got "The Christmas Project" as a Christmas gift. Kind of the perfect Christmas gift, don't you think!?
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:03 pm

I made 19 tunes myself though haha
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 pm

I bought 5 albums which is somewhat of a down year for me; I usually get about 10-12 albums a year but most are used and I pay no more than $5 for them. This year the five albums I bought were all bought brand new and directly via the artist which if I do buy new I try and do.

5. Petra:40TH Anniversary- I bought this precisely to have it and to support Petra in anyway I can.

4. John Schlitt:The Christmas Project- This is the best Christmas album I've ever heard and mainly gets ranked #4 because of the lack of new material and because its a Christmas album.

3. Stryper: No More Hell To Pay- Really a great album and somewhat returns them to their heyday in the 80's. This album also seems more geared for the Christian market than previous efforts by them.

2. Skillet: Rise- Awesome album; most likely their best. IMO its a complete album and in 20 years be looked at like we look at MPTY & BB. IMO Skillet is just hitting their stride in their 17th year and look forward to many more to come.

1. Bloodgood: Dangerously Close- First album in 22 years from a great metal band from the 80's. The sound has a mixture of each of their other 5 albums, but really seems to flow really good and has a central message. Oz Fox from Stryper fame is now a full time member and has not only added his guitar ability, but has added song writing and great input in this album. Oz Fox has been quoted as saying "This album is the best material I've ever been a part of" Some will take it as a shot towards Stryper and mainly Michael Sweet but I'm sure its not felt that way between these artists.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Post by PiedPiper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 am

I bought the most recent Stryper, Plumb and Thousand Foot Krutch albums recently. I'm enjoying all of them.
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:05 pm

It's been a long while since I've kept up with the music collection

Let's see 2013 purchases

CDs - all off of ebay
1. Buddy Rich (2013) 4 CD collection (awesomely sweeet)
2. The Classic Imperials - Still Standing (super awesome)
3. The Happy Goodman Family - Wanted Live (awesome)
4. The Happy Goodmans - Greatest Hits (awesome)
5. The Happy Goodmans - Southern Treasury (awesome)
6. Rusty Goodman - The Essential Collection (awesome)
7. Jonathan Pierce - One Love (super awesome)

Digital
1. Buddy Rich - Keep The Customer satisfied (Sweeet)
2. Buddy Rich - Time Check (really sweeet)
3. Sammy Davis Jr / Buddy Rich - The Sounds of 66 (Epic Sweeet)
4. The Archers - Celebrate Live (mega awesome)

As you can see I don't like staying with one kind of style all the time :)
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

yeshuathemessiah
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1990

Post by yeshuathemessiah » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:42 am

My Top 3 of 2013:

1. Stryper - No More Hell To Pay (2013)
2. Bloodgood - Dangerously Close (2013)
3. Petra - 40th Anniversary (2013)
0 x
Yeshua (Jesus), The Way, The Truth and The Life !!!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Sadly, I have not purchased much Christian music.

Jordan Rudess Christmas album
Dream Theater
Dream Theater DVD
Buddy Rich Buddy and Soul
Avenged Sevenfold Hail to the King
Sammy Hagar Sammy Hagar & Friends
Toby Mac Eye On It
Brian Setzer Rockabilly Riot
Matthew Ward Christmas with...
Joe Walsh Analog Man
Saigon Kick The Lizard
Megadeth Countdown to Extinction Deluxe Edition
Billy Squire The Essential...
Scorpions Comeblack
John Fogerty Wrote A Song For Everyone
Winery Dogs Elevate
King James Maximus
Triumph Live at Sweden Rock Festival (reunion)
Tom Jones Praise & Blame
Tom Jones Spirit in the Room
Neal Schon The Calling
There is more...can't recall it all
0 x

Disciple
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Never Say Die
Pethead since: 2010

Post by Disciple » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:52 pm

All Christian Music --

15. Deliverance -- Weapons of Our Warfare
14. Narnia -- Decade of Confession
13. John Elefante -- On My Way To The Sun
12. Golden Resurrection -- One Voice For The Kingdom
11. Stryper -- No More Hell To Pay
10. HB -- Jesus Metal Explosion
9. Inner Siege -- Kingdom of Shadows
8. Sacred Warrior -- Waiting in Darkness
7. Majestic Vanguard -- Beyond The Moon
6. Theocracy -- s/t
5. The Sacrificed -- 2012
4. Bloodgood -- Dangerously Close
3. Stryper -- Second Coming
2. Deliverance -- s/t
1. Harmony -- Chapter II: Afterlife

#'s 4, 8, 11, 13 were new releases in 2013. # 3 was also but is a compilation. #8 and 12 are 2012 releases.

#'s 1 thru 11 I really love.
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:03 pm

brent wrote:Sadly, I have not purchased much Christian music.

Triumph Live at Sweden Rock Festival (reunion)
TRIUMPH!! I haven't thought about them in a long time. I LOVED their music back in the day. Rik Emmett's impossibly high rock voice. And GUITAR!! Ordinary Man, Fight the Good Fight, Lay it on the Line....they were all fabulous.
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Post by musicwithharry » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:41 pm

I do not recall buying any Christian music during 2013. That sounds bad, but I am stuck in the 80's with the bands I already like so there was not a need.

I did get a few albums though:

Emotional Fire - Sunstorm
Nemesis - Stratovarius
Infinite Stargaze - ColdSpell
Out From the Cold - ColdSpell

Of course, there is lots of good stuff I'm still listening to:
Anything Petra...
Michael W. Smith - I'll Lead You Home
Gersh - Awakening
Liaison - Self Titled
Mysterell - Sensational
Saxon - Destiny
HB
Scandanavian Metal Praise
Servant - Swimming in a Human Ocean
Land of New Hope - Timo Tolkki

I am not really trying to plug, but I did finish album with a singer called Vintage Hymns and Woven Words from Michael James Facciani. I wrote/arranged the music and he sang the vocals. He is currently on tour singing the songs on the album. I also wrote more material and still have a couple of projects waiting for release ($$).

Grace,
Harry
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:40 pm

No particular order, but I really enjoyed

2 Sides • Adam Heare

Psalms • Robbie Seay Band

Inland • Jars of Clay : It's good to see them push their boundaries a bit. Lots of their songs spoke to me and were very timely for this season of my life.

Ceasing to Breathe • Still Remains

Spirit Walk • Randy Stonehill : This guy's been through a lot in his life, but I can see so much reliance on God and perseverance in this record.

The Loudest Sound Ever Heard • The Choir

Dig Here Said the Angel • Daniel Amos : Probably the best new album I've heard in a long time. DA sometimes rubbed me as being cynical, but I think there's a lot more introspection here.

Pilgrim • Pilgrim

The Weight of Glory Remixed • Heath McNease : He did hip hop remixes of all his folk/acoustic sketches of CS Lewis titles.

Honorable mention: Audrey Assad, Citizens!, Har Megiddo, The Brilliance, Lessons, Tal and Acacia, Audio A, Bloodgood
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."