A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1993

Ragamuffin: The True Story of Rich Mullins

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Tue May 20, 2014 10:55 am

I saw this movie over the weekend from a DVD that was purchased at Wal-Mart. Here's someone else's review of it: http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/movies/Ragamuffin.asp
I thought it was pretty good, but it moved a bit slow in places.
Has anyone else seen it; or plan to? What did you think about it?
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Re: Ragamuffin: The True Story of Rich Mullins

Post by rexreed » Tue May 20, 2014 5:21 pm

I thought the movie meant well but the story got muddied up in the middle. Probably because he film was under budget with too many inexperienced film makers/ rookie actors. The worst acting offeder has to be the ig Koch was wearing. Careful mentioning Rich Mullins here, a member likes to tell people Rich was killed because he was leaning Catholic. Then it turns into a denomination discussion with no good ending, just like the Ragamuffin movie.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed May 28, 2014 7:51 pm

That would be me.

Rich was on KXOJ radio in Tulsa Oklahoma stating he was on his way to confirmation in his version of Charismatic Catholic Church the week before he was killed. While I am not God, and I do not maintain that Catholics are killed because they are working against God, it would not surprise me if God took him out because of the amount of craziness he was spreading. So much of it was prefaced with "I think", "I feel", etc. Manning is a little nutty and he is the author of the Rmuffin Gospel. It is more of a psychological redemption. We are supposedly redeemed to be what we really are, instead of accepting we are fallen sinners at birth, enemies of God, bought with a price to conform to the image of God and concentrate on who He is and what He does vs how we can be all we can be, etc. It is pretty typical of people without balance. They go so far over the fence with grace and love of God that they gloss over the requirements, judgement, etc....all of the work that is the evidence of our faith.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 pm

Aren't we just SO blessed to have the absolute authority on religion and music on this forum? :roll: :x
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed May 28, 2014 9:01 pm

No reason to go there. Look, the Catholic church is the one saying it is Christ + the church = salvation. It is the Cartholic church that has people usurping Jesus' position, putting a fallible man and system between the people and God. It is the Catholic church putting the emphasis on works. It is the Catholic church that has sold salvation for people past and present. Sooooo much unbiblical activity that is not for anyone to question. Jesus is not the ONLY way? If you do not believe the bible, that is on you. There is no reason to get janky because I deliver the Word. Jesus Christ is the believer's high priest. It is HIS gospel we hold to, not whatever some child molesting cone cap wearing sinner decides.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 am

I'm agreeing with Brent on this basically because back in 89-90 I saw Rich live because I liked some of his stuff I heard on our local Christian station and would have to say I went away from the concert thinking and feeling that Rich is somewhat out there and not believing the same way as "a normal" Christian would believe. A friend and I came away from show with a very uncomfortable feeling about what we just saw.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Thu May 29, 2014 5:51 pm

I miss Rich, some of the best concerts I ever attended. This is not the forum to rip up on a denomination.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri May 30, 2014 8:50 am

I don't know a lot about Rich (other than he wrote some great songs), and I don't really know anything about the denomination he was supposed to be joining, so I won't debate that. I agree with the idea that if you're in a position where you're influencing a lot of people you should make sure your message is Biblically sound, and there is certainly nothing wrong with doing your homework and not getting involved with something that's not Biblically sound. But, why would God pinpoint Rich specifically? It seems to me if God took out people every time they were on their way to do something that might not be good, or to stop something that might not be good, we'd be in trouble. Why not take out the T.V. evangelists and/or some of the mega churches if that's the case? For that matter, why didn't God take out Hitler and prevent all the death camps?
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri May 30, 2014 9:36 am

brent wrote:No reason to go there. Look, the Catholic church is the one saying it is Christ + the church = salvation. It is the Cartholic church that has people usurping Jesus' position, putting a fallible man and system between the people and God. It is the Catholic church putting the emphasis on works. It is the Catholic church that has sold salvation for people past and present. Sooooo much unbiblical activity that is not for anyone to question. Jesus is not the ONLY way? If you do not believe the bible, that is on you. There is no reason to get janky because I deliver the Word. Jesus Christ is the believer's high priest. It is HIS gospel we hold to, not whatever some child molesting cone cap wearing sinner decides.
Ah, and wasn't it protestantism that created health and wealth and word of faith? Be careful what you say there. I'm not discounting you because you have loonies in your branch of the tree, don't do the same for Catholics.

In six lines you've successfully managed to rape and twist every Catholic doctrine in existence, so I'm not taking you very seriously now. Shame on you. Shame on you for discounting so many of your brothers and sisters.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri May 30, 2014 10:32 am

There is no need to use the word rape. I did not get into doctrines specifically and there are too many to even begin to address. Your response is extremist. I am not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I have Catholic friends and family. They love God, they will probably be in heaven.

As much as I detest the WOF, speak it and it will be, movement, it is far less dangerous than Catholicism. Why? At least the Charismatics believe in one salvation, through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, by grace, accepted through faith, not of works, ritual, etc. Even Olsteen would point to need for salvation, getting your nose in The Book and getting into a bible believing church, not just relying on your baptism or confirmation class. Of all of the Catholics I have ever met or been related to, I have yet to have one of them tell me a biblical response for knowing beyond a doubt that they have been and are being saved. They have a work or class as an answer. Some of them are very hungry for it.

I have read their publications and class materials. The big thing for me is that the religion is based upon fallible men, the men change the beliefs and practices, and they practice things specifically spoken against in scripture like creating idols, worshiping them as if they were the real deal, praying to dead people, worshiping dead people, etc. In fact, Catholics took the command against idols and idol worship out, and split one of the other nine commands in half to make 10. There is so much for me not to agree with that I could never become a Catholic, based on the teachings of the NT alone. I could however go to any number of baptist churches, assemblies of God, etc and find much more in common with the NT as we should practice it.

The big differences are on their beliefs in authority, pluralism, justification, mariology, practices of the sacraments and the mass, etc, Just too many things are contrary or not even addressed in the bible, therefor are man made and not required. Teaching practices not required by God is just as bad as mis representing things that are required by God.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri May 30, 2014 11:50 am

brent wrote:There is no need to use the word rape. I did not get into doctrines specifically and there are too many to even begin to address. Your response is extremist. I am not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I have Catholic friends and family. They love God, they will probably be in heaven.

As much as I detest the WOF, speak it and it will be, movement, it is far less dangerous than Catholicism. Why? At least the Charismatics believe in one salvation, through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, by grace, accepted through faith, not of works, ritual, etc. Even Olsteen would point to need for salvation, getting your nose in The Book and getting into a bible believing church, not just relying on your baptism or confirmation class. Of all of the Catholics I have ever met or been related to, I have yet to have one of them tell me a biblical response for knowing beyond a doubt that they have been and are being saved. They have a work or class as an answer. Some of them are very hungry for it.

I have read their publications and class materials. The big thing for me is that the religion is based upon fallible men, the men change the beliefs and practices, and they practice things specifically spoken against in scripture like creating idols, worshiping them as if they were the real deal, praying to dead people, worshiping dead people, etc. In fact, Catholics took the command against idols and idol worship out, and split one of the other nine commands in half to make 10. There is so much for me not to agree with that I could never become a Catholic, based on the teachings of the NT alone. I could however go to any number of baptist churches, assemblies of God, etc and find much more in common with the NT as we should practice it.

The big differences are on their beliefs in authority, pluralism, justification, mariology, practices of the sacraments and the mass, etc, Just too many things are contrary or not even addressed in the bible, therefor are man made and not required. Teaching practices not required by God is just as bad as mis representing things that are required by God.
Agreed! You will find if you follow Catholicism to a tee your salvation will be lacking.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri May 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Shell, nobody knows for a fact why he was taken. It was his time and his work, good or bad, was done. All I know is what has been reflected here and other places, that his message in his concerts and on his promotional tours was changing and his affiliations were changing. Things were getting weird.

Why does God allow Hitler to kill all of the those Jews? Why does God allow Americans to murder more babies than Hitler ever thought of, using the very mechanism Hitler commissioned to kill Jew and black babies? Why does God bless the sinner and curse the saint? It all works to his benefit somehow. The fact it doesn't make sense that God would take Rich out for that reason doesn't mean that it couldn't have happened. On the other hand, they could have been horsing around, speeding, and the accident was nothing more than that. Only God knows. Everyone is mad at my opinion, which is just that. That is fine. It will not be the first time. It will not be the last.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Fri May 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Why does God allow Brent to piss all over Catholics and then find issue with the word rape? So who else watched Ragamuffin? What did you think of the movie?
0 x

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:58 am

Whatever happened to calling a spade a spade?

Anytime anyone says anything the least bit critical the "judge not" radar pings off the charts. It gets annoying.

In the case of Rich Mullins he had some good tunes but for the most part he just does not sit well with me I too get that funny feeling.

Is he in Hell? I have no clue That is between him and God.

Michael
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat May 31, 2014 10:29 am

rexreed wrote:Why does God allow Brent to piss all over Catholics and then find issue with the word rape?
True dat!
brent wrote:The big thing for me is that the religion is based upon fallible men, the men change the beliefs and practices, and they practice things specifically spoken against in scripture like creating idols, worshiping them as if they were the real deal, praying to dead people, worshiping dead people, etc. In fact, Catholics took the command against idols and idol worship out, and split one of the other nine commands in half to make 10.
The big thing for me is that ALL religion, including evangelicalism/protestantism is based upon fallible men. These men change the beliefs and practices, and they practice things specifically spoken against in scripture like valuing laws over spirit, confusing following Jesus with following rules, worshiping doctrine and their own interpretation of scripture. In fact, evangelicals disregarded Jesus' comment about his Father's house having many rooms and decided that only one room would do for all and that all the guys in the other rooms didn't properly understand the word.
So who else watched Ragamuffin? What did you think of the movie?
I haven't seen the film, since I don't have access to it. To be honest, I try to avoid Christian-made movies, since they're usually of very sub-standard quality. I saw that the director of the film also made a documentary. That would be something I'd like to watch. I first heard about Rich Mullins when his Ragamuffin band was on tour. I like their album very much and because of that I bought The Jesus Record. It's challenging to have quirky brothers and sisters. If in evangelicalism we would only manage to break down the wall that we've built around ourselves, we would gain a lot more insight into the wideness of God's grace. Remember, only ALL the saints together (including Catholics and Orthodox) can get a tiny grasp of the greatness of mercy.
0 x