Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

“Truthfully, I was an atheist,” • Lambesis saga continues

Post by Jonathan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:42 am

http://christiannews.net/2014/06/18/con ... ell-music/
“We toured with more ‘Christian bands’ who actually aren’t Christians than bands that are,” Lambesis stated. “In 12 years of touring with As I Lay Dying, I would say maybe one in 10 Christian bands we toured with were actually Christian bands.”
Wait, people would pretend to be Christian to sell records to Christians?

0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: “Truthfully, I was an atheist,” • Lambesis saga continue

Post by Dan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:37 pm

I have a friend that was in a successful metal band he was telling me that this guy was his inspiration to get into music, now he is completely shattered after revelations of what this guy was trying to have done to his wife. Now this... wow... what a piece of work!
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Jonathan wrote: Wait, people would pretend to be Christian to sell records to Christians?

I love Chris Farley, this isn't from Tommy Boy is it?
0 x

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:54 pm

From SNL, where Farley is told he's drinking decaf coffee crystals instead of regular coffee.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:51 am

According to Joe English, he was pretending. Stryper pretended. Read Mike's book.

Pastors and TV evangelists pretend. Self proclaiming, church-going "christians" pretend. This should be no shock. There are tons of people in the "industry" for a paycheck. There is what Darrell Harris (former president of Star Song) told me in 87. He gave me a sobering view into what this machine is all about. Money. The machine has no moral or ethical oversight. There is no Chief Doctrinal Integrity Officer. You can be what you want, do what you want, say what you want, just be what sells on stage.

Thank God Bob, John and others gave/give evidence of their faith and have been upright men, singing/playing unto the Lord and letting the chips fall where they may. Some Christian music doesn't sit well with my spirit. It has nothing to do with style. When I put on a Petra record, even something I don't like, it still agrees with me spiritually. I can still get something out of it, even though the music isn't my cup of tea. There is no doubting the meaning of the lyrics. There is no doubting the intent. With many of these current bands, I have no idea what they are about, no idea what they are trying to say and receive nothing from them. They are just noise wrapped with Jesus marketing. The world sees it and mocks it. Too bad Christians are so blind to it.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:36 am

brent wrote:According to Joe English, he was pretending. Stryper pretended. Read Mike's book.

Pastors and TV evangelists pretend. Self proclaiming, church-going "christians" pretend. This should be no shock. There are tons of people in the "industry" for a paycheck. There is what Darrell Harris (former president of Star Song) told me in 87. He gave me a sobering view into what this machine is all about. Money. The machine has no moral or ethical oversight. There is no Chief Doctrinal Integrity Officer. You can be what you want, do what you want, say what you want, just be what sells on stage.

Thank God Bob, John and others gave/give evidence of their faith and have been upright men, singing/playing unto the Lord and letting the chips fall where they may. Some Christian music doesn't sit well with my spirit. It has nothing to do with style. When I put on a Petra record, even something I don't like, it still agrees with me spiritually. I can still get something out of it, even though the music isn't my cup of tea. There is no doubting the meaning of the lyrics. There is no doubting the intent. With many of these current bands, I have no idea what they are about, no idea what they are trying to say and receive nothing from them. They are just noise wrapped with Jesus marketing. The world sees it and mocks it. Too bad Christians are so blind to it.
I agree with you there are most likely more out there faking it then that are real which was even the case back in the day, and what this does is brings down the ones that are real. I know you and me disagree with one specific band(Skillet) and I'm here to say that they are more real than anything out there today. I've personally seen behind the scenes with this band and know some that actually work with and deal with them all the time and never has anyone of them ever said they are not real and most of them compare them to Petra(in their prime) ministry wise. Back in 2008 Skillet, Fireflight, & Day Of Fire were getting a tour together and some really bad things were going on in Day Of Fire that made both Skillet & Fireflight to pull out, and what the main problem was wasn't exactly what Day Of Fire members were doing it was they were doing it under the Christian heading.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:36 pm

Okay, at least this guy 'fessed up and made some sort of attempt to come clean, and didn't attempt to pray out loud with kids who would ask for prayer. Of course it's not right, but it's not more wrong for someone in the music business or someone who gets attention from the media to do this sort of thing than it is for those you might not hear about. This sort of thing applies to everyone who claims to be a Christian, and there are plenty of people who park themselves in church for selfish reasons.

I know I've said this kind of thing before, but is part of the problem here the public's tendency to put these guys on a pedestal they don't belong on? They shouldn't be looked up to as spiritual giants or a replacement for a relationship with God. Of course that isn't all there is to it, but I really believe that is a big contributing factor.

I read a sample of Michael's book and it sounds interesting. I think I will read it when I get a chance.
0 x

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Truthfully, I think if the cover of CCM was pulled back and everything was out in the open, we would want to lock ourselves in our houses and never come out again. I as anti CCM as some others but I am willing to bet that a good majority of it is nothing but false Christian entertainment.

The only artist (aside from Petra) who I am absolutely convinced beyond any shadow of doubt was real and genuine was Keith Green. He would turn over in his grave if he found out we were counting him among CCM artists. He thought CCM was idolatry himself. Now I am not quick to dismiss an artist who associates himself or herself with CCM but I am hard pressed to find anything of value in it especially in today's market.
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:29 am

0 x