A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Benny Hinn

Post by Dan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:23 pm

How does Benny Hinn still get support after all the controversy that has surrounded him in recent years?

0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: Benny Hinn

Post by Dan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:38 pm

bennyhinn.org has some interesting stuff.
Attachments
hinn.png
hinn.png (491.59 KiB) Viewed 7359 times
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:19 am

Nothing wrong with praying for opportunities to come your way to make more money to pay off your debts. Without looking at the site, I get the feeling they are going a different direction. Perhaps if I pray really hard and get Benny to lay hands on my computer screen, when I sign in to my bank account I will see that my bank loan magically went down to $0.
Some years ago he claimed to have gone through a Toronto children's hospital and cleared it out. A few phone calls obviously debunked that. He also taught, at one point, that each member of the trinity was also 3 separate persons; for a total of 9.
I have to wonder if he's ever received a call from Vince McMahon.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:01 pm

He is a fraud. Only God knows if he is occupied by a demon or not. I would think you have to be to sell what he is sellin', lie like he is lyin', get it on with Paula White like he was gettin', live in the mansions like he is livin', etc, etc.

I am all for people being blessed. But, I don't understand how a minister of any type, in good conscience, could live exponentially better than the median ministry/church supporter.
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Not that I am a big fan of Hinn's. But to start a thread just to tell us how awful this one guys is ... I feel like a band I know once recorded a song about this ...
Bob Hartman wrote: Everybody look there's a new bandwagon in town
Hop on board and let the wind carry you around
Seems like there's not enough to keep us busy till the Lord comes back
Don Quixote's gotta have another windmill to attack

We're on another witch hunt,
looking for evil wherever we can find it
Off on a tangent, hope the Lord won't mind it
Another witch hunt,
takin' a break from all our gospel labor
On a crusade but we forgot our saber

There's a new way to spend all our energies
We're up in arms instead of down on our knees
Walkin' over dollars trying to find another dime
Never mind the souls 'cause we really haven't got the time

We're on another witch hunt,
Another witch hunt,

Witch Hunt
Witch Hunt
Witch Hunt
Witch Hunt
Witch Hunt

So send out the dogs and tally ho
Before we sleep tonight we've got miles to go
No one is safe, no stone is left unturned
And we won't stop until somebody gets burned
Bro Bro Bro Bro Bro Bro Bro Brothers

Another witch hunt,
Another witch hunt,

Witch Hunt...
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:20 pm

They wrote that because people were on their backs about Christian Rock.

The bible is clear. We are to use discerning spirits. We are to critique everything that comes at us in the light of scripture. If someone is not of God, of the devil, we are to stay away and warn people, not just let people become snared in the devil's nets. What kind of Christian love is that?
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:25 pm

No witch hunt here, just expression of shock for someone who is seen as a leader in Christianity and healing. I haven't even mentioned what he has done.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Yeah, a "leader" who has said:

God will not move unless I say it. Why? because He has made us coworkers with Him. He set things up that way.

I saw Jesus walk into my bedroom. (While he was smoking crack)

I'm a sample of Jesus. I'm a super being. (Yeah, right)

The day is coming when there will not be one sick saint in the body of Christ. (Not in the bible we read)

On the authority of God's word, I will curse any man or woman who speaks against me and my ministry. (Is that more of that super Benny mini Jesus coming out? I don't see any curses used by Jesus in the bible)

This is the same guy who was thrown out of the AOG and the AOG sent letters to their pastors discouraging supporting Hinn in any way shape or form, after having fake gold dust fall on his stage. He and Paul Crouch were on TBN talking about it. Paul said that he thinks the dust came from heavenly saints walking on the streets of gold, and that gold was transferred to the physical world here. What a crock of crapola.

This is the same God who was on TBN telling CRI and the other organizations warning against Hinn's teachings that He wishes he could shoot them all down with Holy Ghost machine guns till they were dead.

This is the same guy boning Paula White, who OWNED a church with her ex and had to divide it up in the divorce settlement. THESE ARE DEMONIC THIEVES. They are so obviously phoney. If you can't see it, you need discernment. These are not people we can counsel or take before some church for discipline as the bible dictates. These are multimillionaires who own businesses, selling lies for a buck. These people are not under the authority of a church, elders, deacons, etc. When you have a board of directors, consisting of your fellow blasphemer buddies, which YOU have nominated and YOU control, YOU are not a church, church ministry or of God. You would have to be stupid and so blind to the oncoming hell you face, it isn't even funny.
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead

Post by knotodiswrld » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:56 pm

brent wrote:They wrote that because people were on their backs about Christian Rock.
Well, I'm sure that was part of it, but the 80's were rife with this or that TV preacher preaching AGAINST things instead of preaching The Gospel. The song has much broader applications if you were old enough at the time to be aware of such things.
brent wrote: The bible is clear. We are to use discerning spirits. We are to critique everything that comes at us in the light of scripture. If someone is not of God, of the devil, we are to stay away and warn people, not just let people become snared in the devil's nets. What kind of Christian love is that?
All true.

So do that.

What we don't need to do is to post a picture that is basically just mocking with no specific documentation of any error or alleged fraud, or to rail about possible possession again without specifically documented instances of error and/or fraud. (For the record, I believe Hinn to be in error about many things, but I think he honestly believes what he teaches. I acknowledge being unable to prove the latter.)

I agree that some of the things Hinn teaches are false. But who would ever know that from what has been posted thus far? The Bible calls us to expose false doctrine, not to ridicule those who teach it.

If done with the correct tone, documenting and exposing said false doctrines and/or actual fraud is perfectly acceptable. But ...
Jude 1:19
But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!

When Jesus exposed the errors of the Pharisees and Sadducee, He was specific. He didn't just mock them. And He demonstrated their error with scripture.

On a slightly different note, no one ever proved, to my knowledge, that anything romantic ever happened between Hinn and Paula White, nor ... again to my knowledge ... did either of them state that it did. Until such time as it is either proven or admitted by one or the other of them, I am going to assume that it didn't happen. Such allegations should be presented only with evidence. Innocent until proven guilty is a principle of both the Torah and U.S. law ... though the latter hasn't been adhering well to that principle.

If you have evidence of an affair, you should post it. Barring that, you should refrain from leveling unsupported allegations against anyone.

And for pitty sake, if you really believe Hinn's soul is in that kind of shape, pray for him!!!

We must always think of how our posts would look to NON Christians who happened by the website. Will it bring them closer to Christ, or would it make them roll their eyes and say, "Yeah ... those Christians are always mockin' and puttin' each other down just like everyone else!"?
Dan wrote:No witch hunt here, just expression of shock for someone who is seen as a leader in Christianity and healing. I haven't even mentioned what he has done.
First, very, VERY few see him as a "leader" in Christianity. Just because he's on TV doesn't make him a leader. That's like saying that Sam Waterson is a "leader" in the legal profession. (I would have said "Raymond Burr", but most of you are probably too young to get that.)

Then it IS a witch hunt. To be anything else, not only would you NEED to mention specifics of what he has done, but you would need to provide documentation or evidence. Otherwise, a witch hunt is ALL it is.

Actually, it's one step BELOW a witch hunt ... it makes a witch hunt look like an honorable pursuit. This is just mockery, and it is beneath The Body of Christ.

Even if I agree with much of it.

Oh good grief. Every time I hit "Submit", someone else has posted more. Okay, I'll get to Brent's post in a minute. Gotta take care of something else first.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:22 pm

knotodiswrld wrote: First, very, VERY few see him as a "leader" in Christianity. Just because he's on TV doesn't make him a leader.
Ha ha sure if you sleep under a rock. I am sure the 100's of millions of people that have seen him live over the years might see his position a little differently. Most people are well aware of Hinn's affairs, women, distortion and other discrepancies. If you need a list here I am sure we can provide you with sources for your own hunt.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Dudes, you all live under rocks if you have not seen or heard Hinn say this stuff. It HAS been documented by countless others. Heck, watch his own videos. Watch TBN. It's all out there. He should be living proof that he is NOT a quack. The burden of proof is not on us.

Read Counterfeit Revival available on CRI's website. Better yet, get the audio book. Hank uses their own words in context against scripture. He documents the majority of them.
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead

Post by knotodiswrld » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:17 pm

brent wrote:Yeah, a "leader" who has said:

God will not move unless I say it. Why? because He has made us coworkers with Him. He set things up that way.

I saw Jesus walk into my bedroom. (While he was smoking crack)

I'm a sample of Jesus. I'm a super being. (Yeah, right)

The day is coming when there will not be one sick saint in the body of Christ. (Not in the bible we read)

On the authority of God's word, I will curse any man or woman who speaks against me and my ministry. (Is that more of that super Benny mini Jesus coming out? I don't see any curses used by Jesus in the bible)

This is the same guy who was thrown out of the AOG and the AOG sent letters to their pastors discouraging supporting Hinn in any way shape or form, after having fake gold dust fall on his stage. He and Paul Crouch were on TBN talking about it. Paul said that he thinks the dust came from heavenly saints walking on the streets of gold, and that gold was transferred to the physical world here. What a crock of crapola.

This is the same God who was on TBN telling CRI and the other organizations warning against Hinn's teachings that He wishes he could shoot them all down with Holy Ghost machine guns till they were dead.

This is the same guy boning Paula White, who OWNED a church with her ex and had to divide it up in the divorce settlement. THESE ARE DEMONIC THIEVES. They are so obviously phoney. If you can't see it, you need discernment. These are not people we can counsel or take before some church for discipline as the bible dictates. These are multimillionaires who own businesses, selling lies for a buck. These people are not under the authority of a church, elders, deacons, etc. When you have a board of directors, consisting of your fellow blasphemer buddies, which YOU have nominated and YOU control, YOU are not a church, church ministry or of God. You would have to be stupid and so blind to the oncoming hell you face, it isn't even funny.
As I said, I'm not sure how many people consider Hinn to be a "leader". I refer to my Sam Waterson analogy from before.

Again, you need to provide EVIDENCE of the affair between Hinn and White. We know they were friendly, but we have no proof that they were having a sexual relationship. And let's honest ... Paula could do better. Really. I know Hinn has money, but so does White. Nah ... I just don't see it. I can see a BUSINESS deal. In fact, if they are both the frauds you seem to believe them to be, I am that much more inclined to believe that whatever went on between them was "strictly business". I just don't see White going for Hinn.

Otherwise, this is much closer to what I'm saying we should do. You're being specific. It would be nice to provide any links or specific times/dates if you can, though I know that is sometimes difficult to locate.

Some of this stuff I know he said. Some of it, I am not so sure about, so any links or time/date references would be helpful. To be clear, I am sure that you have good reason to believe that Hinn said it all, and he may well have. Sometimes, honestly, I think he just ad-libs and says whatever pops into his head in the moment, possibly thinking it comes from The Spirit ... which is really sad. I wonder if he ever walks off stage thinking, "Man... I can't believe I said that!!"

But ... can you prove He was smoking crack when He claims to have seen Jesus? Or was that just hyperbole? Hyperbole can be confusing in this kind of post.

I will tell you that I have seen God The Son TWICE in my life, though both times were in The Spirit (not physically) and He was NOT in any form Leonardo Davinci could have painted, nor could George Lucas have captured it with all the special effects technology at his disposal. So, I won't reject out-of-hand a man's claim to have seen Jesus.

We are ALL supposed to be a "sample of Jesus". That is what a Christian is supposed to be. I certainly wouldn't have used the term "super being", but we are supposed to be conformed to the likeness of Christ. I'd need to know more about the context of this statement.

And there is ABSOLUTELY coming a day when no one will be sick in God's Kingdom, and the Bible is quite clear on this.
[Rev 21:4 NIV] 4 'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
[1Co 15:51-55 NIV] 51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed-- 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." 55 "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"
The Bible, thus, is quite clear that a day is coming when there will be no more sickness in The Body of Christ. It won't happen before the Christ returns, of course. All The Kings Horses and All The Kings Men will come first. But the day is coming.

And yes, the AG did part ways with him, and we were discouraged from supporting his ministries. I'm not defending the guy. I'm saying, you've got to be specific (as you have done), and provide documentation where necessary/possible.

It's not about whether or not you or I can SEE they are phony or not. To "expose" someone, you must bring EVIDENCE. God's word is clear on that.
[Deu 19:15 NIV] 15 One witness is not enough to convict anyone accused of any crime or offense they may have committed. A matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.
Even if Gabriel The Archangel appears to BOTH of us and and tells us that all you are saying is true, to be profitable to anyone ELSE, evidence will need to be provided. It simply isn't sufficient merely to KNOW.
Brent wrote:These are not people we can counsel or take before some church for discipline as the bible dictates. These are multimillionaires who own businesses, selling lies for a buck. These people are not under the authority of a church, elders, deacons, etc.
Well, therein lies a huge part of the problem, not just with any one particular individual or ministry, but with the whole WoF movement, and many other independent churches. I think one reason they tend to get into such wild-hair doctrines is that there is no authority structure to reign them in. You're right ... there's no way to discipline this guy. There's no bishop or counsel before whom he has to stand. It's one of the reasons the AG agreed to take Hinn on board in the first place. We honestly thought we could help him.

I have no business speaking for the AG on exactly what happened, but clearly it didn't work out as well as we hoped.

So ... you're getting much closer to what needs to be done. Specific examples, though try to be careful about those examples which can be interpreted to be perfectly compatible with Orthodox Christian belief, such as a day when no Saint shall be sick. I mean, we all know this will happen when Christ returns ... though certainly not before.

If you could find documentation or links to video, it would be a truly bang-up job.

But the tone is something we still need to be careful about. Remember, if Hinn is where you say he is, then he is a lost soul! He needs Christ like any other sinner, as did we all.

If he is merely confused then he still needs the enlightenment and correction of The Spirit. Either way, we must pray that he comes to know the truth.

If you don't mind my saying so, there seems to be a great deal of PERSONAL ANGER in the posts about Hinn. If this is true, there may be someone you need forgive. Your anger may be valid, but if you continue to hold onto it, it will do far more harm to you than it will ever do to Hinn, White or their organizations.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:28 pm

I would be careful to not confuse disbelief or confusion with anger... If you know Brent or myself which you don't, you would know the tone of what is being said here is light hearted, neither Brent or myself hide behind an alias.
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead

Post by knotodiswrld » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:35 pm

brent wrote:Dudes, you all live under rocks if you have not seen or heard Hinn say this stuff. It HAS been documented by countless others. Heck, watch his own videos. Watch TBN. It's all out there. He should be living proof that he is NOT a quack. The burden of proof is not on us.

Read Counterfeit Revival available on CRI's website. Better yet, get the audio book. Hank uses their own words in context against scripture. He documents the majority of them.
So ... what you're saying is you sit around watching TBN and Benny Hinn all the time?

Sorry, but I have better things to do. Like flossing my teeth, for instance.

And yes ... the burden of proof IS on you. You're the one making a claim. Those who follow Hinn/White/whoever will need far more than your assertions to be turned. Those who follow him HAVE watched his videos and see nothing wrong with them.

You've got to help them out a bit more.

And you've got to do it in a spirit of love and gentleness.

Look, I think Hinn's teachings are ... unbalanced. Some are downright dangerous. I'm not defending him. But without solid examples and evidence, you won't convince his followers.

I obviously don't pay as much attention to him as you guys do. I have to wonder about this obsession with someone with whom you obviously disagree so strongly.

Truthfully, I've used the approach, from pulpit, which you are currently using. But I've found a better way.

When I teach my charges THE TRUTH, and teach them to divide scripture rightly, and teach them about ERRORS they will encounter without mentioning specific INDIVIDUALS who might be teaching it, they realize the truth for themselves about specific false teachers. I teach the truth against error, I don't attack specific people.

This is much more edifying to the Body of Christ and allows people to guard their hearts not just against today's heretics, but against tomorrow's as well.
Dan wrote:I would be careful to not confuse disbelief or confusion with anger... If you know Brent or myself which you don't, you would know the tone of what is being said here is light hearted, neither Brent or myself hide behind an alias.
I'm willing to believe that for the moment. But that's obviously not how it comes across to those who do NOT know. That is why we have to be so careful of our tone.

I don't know you or Brent, nor will 99.9999% of your potential readers. So it doesn't come across light hearted. That is why much care must be taken.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:44 pm

knotodiswrld wrote:I don't know you or Brent, nor will 99.9999% of your potential readers. So it doesn't come across light hearted. That is why much care must be taken.
Most readers and forum members are friends outside this forum and there is only a handful of us. Lets get back on topic :)
0 x