Gene Simmons on the death of rock music

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Gene Simmons on the death of rock music

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:45 pm

“The death of rock was not a natural death. Rock did not die of old age. It was murdered,” the often outspoken 65-year-old musician and entrepreneur said. “The masses do not recognize file-sharing and downloading as stealing because there's a copy left behind for you — it's not that copy that's the problem, it's the other one that someone received but didn't pay for.”

“The problem is that nobody will pay you for the 10,000 hours you put in to create what you created. I can only imagine the frustration of all that work, and having no one value it enough to pay you for it,” Simmons continued. “It's very sad for new bands. My heart goes out to them. They just don't have a chance. If you play guitar, it's almost impossible. You're better off not even learning how to play guitar or write songs, and just singing in the shower and auditioning for ‘The X Factor.'”

Simmons further explained that he blames “white, middle and upper-middle-class young people” born in the United States for the widespread use of file sharing, a digital phenomenon that began in the late '90s with the invention of Napster.

“My sense is that file-sharing started in predominantly white, middle- and upper-middle-class young people who were native-born, who felt they were entitled to have something for free, because that's what they were used to.

If the pessimistic outlook from the leader of the KISS Army doesn't scare aspiring artists from climbing what he calls “an insurmountable mountain,” maybe his advice to them will: “Don't quit your day job.”
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Gene Simmons on the death of rock music

Post by brent » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:06 pm

0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Kind of funny to me that you are the only one on here that has said anything. I have a feeling that most of the people on here do exactly what Gene is talking about and don't even care.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Don't take silence as being complicit in file sharing.

I don't see what one has to do with the other. Obviously rock music isn't dead. It's alive and well in the clubs and fairs and garages and the bars. It's being crafted and created by people who don't want to claw their way through a gutter of runny diarrhea (to paraphrase Biafra) for a "we'll let you know" from some suit writing enormous checks for crap. Is he implying that the very idea that someone might steal what I create would keep me from even creating? I'd play if no one listened (and have). At some point, musicians have to be realistic.

Maybe the way Gene defines it, IE, the dream of self-made extravagant rock star living is dead. Nobody's getting filthy rich playing a guitar anymore? Big deal, still fun.

He's right about the entitlement attitude, that's for sure though. I don't think it stops people from creating great music, rock or otherwise.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:29 pm

The problem with that POV is, "just for fun" does not support an industry. I am talking about wood, metal, tech, instruments, gear, etc. If people made food for fun, what kind of quality would be have?
0 x

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:12 am

I know what you mean, and I'm not in the "industry." You are, many are and you need to make a living, certainly I don't intend to discount that. I don't know that it necessarily affects "quality," per se, or maybe enjoyability, in general. Yeah, maybe you can practice and rehearse all day if its your job to hone your craft. That's a foreign world to me, since I have maybe a few hours a week to practice or jam. I'm realistic about my skill, my drive, and my sphere, and I know I'm not going to make a living in music performance. Also doesn't mean I'm gonna pirate music, but that's just me.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:37 pm

My take is if people can afford a computer, they can probably afford to buy the music they listen to. I agree with Jonathan though, not replying to a post doesn't equal condoning or participating in file sharing. You don't necessarily have to respond to every post you might read to agree or disagree. In some cases, no response may actually be the best response. :mrgreen: (I'm not saying this is true in this case though).

I do understand what Gene is saying; I think he is right about what he says about entitlement. I understand Brent's position also. However, I'm not a big Kiss fan so I don't exactly go out of my way to read articles concerning Gene or his fellow bandmates.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:50 am

The whole thing is wonky because Napster and the like took down the industry without providing a sustainable alternative. There is little in person community retail buying experience now. The mom and pop LP shops get it. Best Buy and Walmart do not. That is why their music inventories have been shrinking.
0 x