Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

100 Greatest Christian Rock Guitarists

Post by Jonathan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:02 am

http://classicchristianrockzone.blogspo ... s.html?m=1

Fun list. Though it reads like a 4th grader's rough draft.

Who got the shaft? Who's overrated?
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: 100 Greatest Christian Rock Guitarists

Post by brent » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:28 pm

It should read, "100 best Christian guitarists in and out of Christian music". There are lost people playing Christian music and saved people playing secular. I bet there are more Christians playing in studios and on tours, supporting secular acts.

I did not recognize some of those guys. The upside is they did not use commercial success as the determining factor. It was their abilities, which I like. Consumers often will take style over substance.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:45 pm

I haven't heard of all of these folks either, but then I'm not a guitarist or in the music biz. It's a good list, and I agree it's good that they paid some attention to ability rather than commercial success.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:53 am

like Greg Hough, o e of Petra's founders. I've beard him play live - simply amazing! I often wonder where Petra would have gone had he stayed with the band.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:16 pm

The only missing name that came to mind for me is Chris Rodriguez. Any other names that came to mind as I was reading the list all showed up near the top.
I really liked Barren Cross back in the day, and they were personally good to me. Mike Lee, or whatever he is called these days, is off the rails in my opinion, but I would probably buy something new from them. I watched a reunion show on youtube from a few years ago and thought the whole thing was a bit rough, so I was surprised to see Ray Parris on the list. Although, he's not high on the list. Who else would replace him? George Cocchini, Barry Graul? I don't know. I'm probably forgetting a lot of good players.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:15 pm

I noted Kirk Henderson's presence in the list; I really like his music, although I don't know of him doing anything besides some of Greg X. Volz's solo albums. I thought Bob Hartman should be a little higher in the list... but then I'm a "Pethead".

With 100 outstanding Christian guitarists, I think they almost got them all... of the professionals, anyway. Lots of names I don't recognize, at any rate.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."