"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Six, Six, Six by DeGarmo and Key [video]

Post by Shell » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:23 pm

Haven't seen that for awhile. I liked DeGarmo and Key.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:59 am

This video earned a bit of fame after it was banned from MTV back when the network actually showed music videos. D&K made a reference to this years later in the song "I Use the J Word":

They took us off the airwaves
Banned from MTV
For taking our religion
A bit too seriously
They told us we were fascist
Cause we made it clear and plain
That the only trip to heaven
Is through a five letter name

That's a little disingenious, I think, since the video was banned not because of its message but because of a scene near the end when a man is shown going up in flames which the network deemed to be "senseless violence" (I guess this means they were O.K. with sensible violence?). Of course Christians glommed onto the controversary and insisted that it was because the video had a Christian message despite the fact that MTV had played Christian music videos in the past, and the video for "Six, Six, Six" was reinstated in the MTV rotation after the offending scene was reedited to make it less graphic.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:56 pm

Mountain Man wrote:This video earned a bit of fame after it was banned from MTV back when the network actually showed music videos. D&K made a reference to this years later in the song "I Use the J Word":

Banned from MTV
For taking our religion
A bit too seriously

That's a little disingenious, I think, since the video was banned not because of its message but because of a scene near the end when a man is shown going up in flames which the network deemed to be "senseless violence" (I guess this means they were O.K. with sensible violence?). Of course Christians glommed onto the controversary and insisted that it was because the video had a Christian message despite the fact that MTV had played Christian music videos in the past, and the video for "Six, Six, Six" was reinstated in the MTV rotation after the offending scene was reedited to make it less graphic.
Stating they were taken off the airwaves played well with Christian audiences back then. I remember telling other kids that the D&K video was banned to try and spark a little curiosity for the group... it didn't work. Saying stuff like that still plays well for some Christians. Wait till November and count how many of your friends that claim a war on Christmas.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:16 am

rexreed wrote: Stating they were taken off the airwaves played well with Christian audiences back then. I remember telling other kids that the D&K video was banned to try and spark a little curiosity for the group... it didn't work. Saying stuff like that still plays well for some Christians. Wait till November and count how many of your friends that claim a war on Christmas.
What's your explanation for why there isn't a war on Christmas. It sure seems like there is one. Or least mini battles scattered all over.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:38 pm

Mountain Man wrote:This video earned a bit of fame after it was banned from MTV back when the network actually showed music videos. D&K made a reference to this years later in the song "I Use the J Word":

Banned from MTV
For taking our religion
A bit too seriously

I recall reading about that, and that the problem MTV had was the person going up in flames, although it's been a long time. Kind of ironic given the graphic and trashy stuff that's on TV these days. I do sort of wonder if they'd have done that if it had been another band.
0 x