A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Chameleon
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1983

Classic Petra Cover Band?

Post by Chameleon » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:12 pm

I've been wanting to explore the possibility of creating a classic Petra cover band for some time now. This seems like the best place to find others that may be interested as well. I'm in the Twin Cities area and if any others from near-by would like to put something together, please reply. I'm drummer looking for everyone else.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Classic Petra Cover Band?

Post by executioner » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:48 pm

There is someone that might be interested but doesn't post here any longer. He lives in Minnesota in the North part I do believe; you can find him on Facebook under the name of Mike Tifft. I know he is currently in a band.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Chameleon
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Chameleon » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:39 am

Thank you! I just feel like there's a calling to bring the music of Petra to a new generation. Appreciate your information.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Not to be a wet blanket, but the music of early Petra is not what the younger generation is into, nor would it be attractive, IMO. The songs don't really hold up that well IMO.

Petra CDs and downloads are everywhere. Petra is still gigging on occasion. If Petra is not successful reaching new audiences in the USA, how will you? There are all kinds of blogs, webcasts, radio shows, etc uncovering old Christian music. The only people that care about Petra are the existing fans, hence the reason for their current demand. As we age, we sustain them less and less.

Why not create your own music for your generation? Like what you like and let that be what it is. Do what resonates with you and the people you want to reach.

Again, my opinion.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:59 am

Brent is right, young people don't want biblical teachings from songs they want music that is no different from secular in every way. I am also disappointed that all the music at churches these days sounds like a rip off of U2.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:19 pm

Dan wrote:Brent is right, young people don't want biblical teachings from songs they want music that is no different from secular in every way. I am also disappointed that all the music at churches these days sounds like a rip off of U2.
DITTO! I like U2 and their sound/lyrics but I don't want it in church.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:45 am

The typical Christian church in America these days seems more about entertainment than real teaching and exhortation. I remember hearing about one "contemporary" service advertising itself with the slogan, "So much fun, you won't believe it's church!" Although this could be an urban legend, it's certainly plausible.
Last edited by Mountain Man on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:49 am

Sure, thereally are churches giving cash door prizes, cars, etc to get people in. In my city, churches swap kids, because the kids go where the excitement is, not where the family and relationships are. I have acquaintances that changes churches because of their kids. When their kids don't feel like they are having fun, they split.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:49 am

Prizes, Cash, Cars... I have totally lost faith in the modern church..
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:37 pm

Way off topic! :shock: :lol:

Thankfully you don't need to have faith in the church. And there will be a remnant, even if the mainstream becomes entirely worthless. The true church will remain!

As for the original topic, I don't see why it's such a bad idea; sure you won't get played on the radio, but that's the wrong audience. You could succeed in a much smaller way. Just play at small local events, and don't act like some edgy new group. Just a few days ago I saw a band playing old secular classics from a trailer at a seafood festival, of all things. Of course, the Christian tag can get in the way, but if you played good-sounding classic rockers, then you might get some kind of audience. You could try Judas' Kiss, Angel of Light, Speak to the Sky, and other less directed songs. It wouldn't be a big success, but it's a beginning.
I personally plan to start a band with my older brother under the name Zebedee, with me as the keyboardist and him as the guitarist. We don't live in your area, though.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

Chameleon
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Chameleon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Yeah, I wasn't trying to get a big touring group together and try to take over for Petra. It was more of a thought to do local or maybe regional youth shut-ins or Sunday evening concerts. Something to get the classic songs back in the hearts and mind of youth. I think the songs still hold up (but yeah, maybe a bit biased with the songs I listened to) as much as classic secular songs from the 70's and 80's are still popular with my teenager and her friends. I agree with you all that the contemporary Christian music being played at services is pretty lame...which is why I think some people might be interested to hear some REAL Christian rock!

Thanks for the feedback!
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Dan wrote:Prizes, Cash, Cars... I have totally lost faith in the modern church..

If you have faith in the church or are seeking faith in the church then you are looking down the wrong path.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:00 pm

Faith is a universal word look it up :)
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:13 am

Dan wrote:Faith is a universal word look it up :)

Yes I know the "universal meaning". Having faith in anything other than Jesus Christ will eventually be a huge letdown.
0 x