What music have you been listening to lately?

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1993

Re: What music have you been listening to lately?

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:32 am

They are definitely talented.
Glad to hear they are being more up front with their Christian beliefs.
After hearing about their song, Big Screen Lies, I wonder what movie(s) MS has watched that he felt portrayed Christians as "buffoons."
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:21 pm

Carolina Petra Fan wrote:They are definitely talented.
Glad to hear they are being more up front with their Christian beliefs.
After hearing about their song, Big Screen Lies, I wonder what movie(s) MS has watched that he felt portrayed Christians as "buffoons."

Just about all of them I would say.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:39 am

Stryper has a new record and it is ok.
0 x

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:30 am

I started listening to Needtobreath's "Live from the Woods" album today. It's great because it has the embellished versions of their songs that their studio albums don't have.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:50 am

This week I'm listening to Disciple's Attack. Any Disciple fans here?
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by mkepethead » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:26 pm

Carolina Petra Fan wrote:This week I'm listening to Disciple's Attack. Any Disciple fans here?

I'm a big fan of theirs
0 x
Petra Means Rock!

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:27 am

This week I'm listening to Toby Mac's This is not a test. If you want a break from the rock and roll, this is where to go.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:01 am

Same here with Toby Mac. I've been trying to find stuff the kids would want to hear these days. We put a lot of videos into countdown timers for youth. It's tough finding things they would watch and listen and sing to.
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:52 pm

I was playing some EDM and Christian rap at our church's DNOW thing this year. I noticed the girls would start moving their bodies like they would to secular music, kind of nastysex-like. The guys just bobbed their heads. Unless the kids are raised in sacks and completely restricted from secular music, you just aren't going to attract them with anything Christian. It will always be a substitute and not a replacement. Peer pressure is to great, and the music has to match the message to be legit. You can't rap about Jesus with a straight face to same nasty booty-shakin' grooves and noises used in secular songs. Their bodies/minds have been programmed.
0 x

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:08 am

Last week I listened to the latest Newsboys album, Love Riot. It's ok I guess, but I definitely feel that it could have been done better. Another let down was, unless I'm mistaken, that they didn't do any of the studio work except for the vocals, and they didn't write or co-write any of the songs.

This week I'm listening to Big Tent Revival's Amplifier (1998). Love this album.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Dream Theater's The Astonishing, the best album of 2016. It is pretty much the only thing in rotation right now.
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:03 pm

Really? I thought it was so disappointing that I could not take listening to the whole thing. I think I am done with DT.
0 x

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:32 pm

brent wrote:Really? I thought it was so disappointing that I could not take listening to the whole thing. I think I am done with DT.
Take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I personally find the storytelling element blended with that kind of music so fascinating. It's one of those things that if you are a video game player you can use it as a soundtrack for an RPG. it has that kind of vibe and that is one reason I like the album so much. I must confess I am a casual DT fan and I am sure people that have been fans of the band for years have very legit reasons for not liking the album whereas I dont have much of a dog in this fight so to speak

Secondly love it or hate it, I found that there were some places on the album that are Disneyish (but like the good disney movies back when they were animated) some people hate that aspect. I thought the whole thing was clever even though I dont know if they were going for that. The production values on the album (as a casual listener mind you) are fantastic.

Thirdly, I think some of the hate for this album is due to Mangini being the new drummer and some didnt like the last album either. It's not Portnoy and they dont like that. On a technical level I have not listened to enough of either drummer to come to a conclusion of who is better or who I like more on that level. But I will say that I watched an interview with Mangini about his drumming and how he felt about stepping into big shoes so to speak with the history of the band with Portnoy, I immediately became a fan of the guy on a personable level, there is a great vibe to him. He just wants to have fun and he respects the history. He doesnt have the "I'm a rockstar" kind of thing going. Portnoy to me from what I've seen has a completely different attitude.
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:38 pm

It's ok to like what you like. Different strokes...

My problem is. I saw the artwork for the characters before I knew the story. Stylistically, it looked like the characters were the humans from Shrek's kingdom, which didn't work for me. Funny thing you mentioned Disney. Then, Eddie Trunk interviewed John and Jordon, who said it was about the future. It has to do with machines making soul-less music, until one dude is born and begins making music, which had become a long, lost, illegal art. When I heard the plot, I liked it. If they release the book or the movie, I will buy them.

Nobody should fault DT's production. They used real choirs, orchestras, etc on this record. Sonically, it sounds great. Musically though, they have a predictable formula. and it has grown tiresome for me.

They are playing theaters this time around, and I will probably go seem them, even though they are only playing the whole album front to back. It is enjoyable to watch and hear REALLY talented MUSICIANS, who actually PLAY and SING....LIVE. They don't need tracks to cover up for anything and they most certainly are one of the tightest machines ever, IMO. Even though their music doesn't touch my soul, it does tickle the ooooooo and ahhhhhh cortex in my brain.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:48 am

Carolina Petra Fan wrote:Last week I listened to the latest Newsboys album, Love Riot. It's ok I guess, but I definitely feel that it could have been done better. Another let down was, unless I'm mistaken, that they didn't do any of the studio work except for the vocals, and they didn't write or co-write any of the songs.

This week I'm listening to Big Tent Revival's Amplifier (1998). Love this album.
I'd love to see the credits for this one. I can't find anything. They don't have a bass player, so someone else would have to play bass in the studio, if they want a real bass.
I could see bringing other players in for fresh ideas, but I would be surprised if the band was left out entirely. To be fair though, before Tait came on board, what you heard for many years was really all Peter Furler. He wrote all the songs, and I would guess he was really the driving force behind their sound and direction from one album to the next.

I think if you went to a live Newsboys show today, and could isolate just what the four guys in stage are actually doing, it would be eye opening. Going back to the Not Ashamed days, for sure they've always had additional tracks mixed in with the band. That increased when they didn't replace Phil Joel on bass, and I'm sure it's even more with Peter gone. FWIW, I've seen the Peter Furler Band live, and they prove that you can do justice to Newsboys songs with just the band and not all the extra crap.
0 x