0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: New Bride or Guardian anyone?

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:57 pm

I always thought Guardian was a tremendous powerhouse band that arrived on the scene just a couple of years too late. By the time they started their rise, arena-rock bands were on the decline, at least in the Christian music industry, and so Guardian never really had the popularity or success they could have. This might be partly due to the fact that their first few albums were given the generic Elefante Bros. treatment and didn't really stand out from all of the other Elefante Bros. produced albums that seemed to be flooding the market at the time. The later Steve Taylor produced albums have a fresher, more timeless sound.

I find it a bit disappointing that Guardian's farewell album was a remake of Stryper's Yellow and Black Attack, so I would definitely like to hear some new Guardian material.

I've never really been fan of Bride. I like some of their songs, but they're one of those bands that just doesn't do it for me in general. There's a bit too much thrash and dissonance in their sound for my taste.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:52 am

Snakes in the playground is one of the greatest albums I own. I'd put it up against nearly anything from the time. The rest of Bride albums were hit or miss with me.
MF
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:07 am

Haven't heard the newest one yet. "Kinetic Faith" and "Snakes" were both good but it's always been a little too much screaming for my taste. Bride's "God Gave Rock & Roll To You" version with the rappers was an absolute disaster for me. <snip the rest of the rant after reflection>
Last edited by pmal on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:39 am

Bride's defunct now. Dale Thompson moved to New Zealand and started a new project called The World Will Burn or something like that.

If I have one regret it is that I've never seen Bride live.

To me Scarecrow Messiah is their best album.

The sad thing about Bride is that they've always tried to live up to Snakes In The Playground and never felt like they did.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:02 pm

Wasn't Dale Thompson also a big advocate of Christian universalism? Bride's appeal kinda waned for me after learning that.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:26 am

Mountain Man wrote:Wasn't Dale Thompson also a big advocate of Christian universalism? Bride's appeal kinda waned for me after learning that.
This was around the release of This Is It in 2003. I think Dale even showed up here when we had a discussion about this at the time, but perhaps it was on thepetrazone.com. I'm not sure if 'big advocate' still covers his point of view at the moment.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:08 am

I liked some of the early Bride. It was really high pitched, and tough to find the Christian meaning in some of it, but I found it strangely enjoyable. Some of the stuff from Snakes was very good.
Guardian is the bomb. I still the original album. It's a classic, and very influential for me. I enjoyed the E-Bros stuff as well. Miracle Mile was epic. I also loved Bottle Rocket. Really fun and catchy all the way through. Their new album is great. Much of it is very reminiscent of BR, but there's also some stuff that would have fit right in on MM. Gene Simmons makes a cameo, and Tony does a really cool solo. The closing ballad is one of their best ever. The only disappointing thing for me was that it was written by the new guy. But hey, it's still really good, and Jamie's vocal fits right in.

I could have seen Bride live at Creationfest, but I was kind of over them by that time. I may have caught a song or two in passing. Guardian played live there a few times and they were fantastic.
Michael Sweet was also fantastic there. Sadly, Stryper bailed out twice.
0 x

Toby
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1999

Post by Toby » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:01 am

Guardian's Miracle Mile is IMO a masterpiece. Great Songs, great riffs and solos, a lot of feeling and a powerful band. This album should have gone Gold/Platinum.
0 x

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1993

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:41 am

I really enjoy Guardian's Buzz album.

I have two Bride greatest hits albums. They're ok I guess, but not something I revisit often.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sat May 07, 2016 5:45 am

Guardian does have new material. They released a 3-song EP called 3 to Get Ready a few years ago and followed that up with a Kickstarter album Almost Home last year. They've added a second guitarist Jamey Pierrenot as Tony Palacios didn't want to go back on the road. New material has a more modern rock sound.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:03 am

I was always a fan of Guardian. I thought they were pretty great. I grew up with 80's rock bands, so their first albums really played to my tastes perfectly, and their switch to more alternative stuff in Buzz and Bottle Rocket came at a time when I was also switching in terms of musical tastes, so it was perfect. I even saw Jamie Rowe live back when he released that London Calling album. Still he pretty much played Guardian tunes most of the night. They have quite a hardcore following in Latin America.

As for Bride, I more or less agree with rexreed and Mountain Man. I like some of their stuff, but overall they didn't do it for me. Scarecrow Messiah and Snakes in the Playground are great albums though, and "The Worm" remains one of my fave songs, period. I saw them live but it was at the time they released Fistful of Bees, which was deep in their nu metal/rapcore period and I just wasn't that hot on that.
0 x

Natebor
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: NOTW
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Natebor » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:14 pm

I bought Swing Swang Swung in the bargain bin around 2000 when my dad had cancer, misplaced the bag for a couple years, found it again and finally listened to it right about the time he died. Major bawl fest. I know its not really a typical album, but I really liked that whole album. Always meant to get more of their stuff.
0 x