Stryper question

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
davealward
Pethead
Pethead

Stryper question

Post by davealward » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:01 pm

I love Stryper. They are one of my favorite bands and continue to put out great songs.
I see on their website Tim Gaines isn't in the band anymore. Does anyone know who is going to play bass on the new record from Stryper?
0 x
Why don't you look into Jesus, He's got the answer!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Stryper question

Post by executioner » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:58 pm

No word on a replacement; they are getting ready to go into the studio for a new album. I'm wondering if they will just use a tour bass player until they find a suitable replacement.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

davealward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by davealward » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:25 pm

My suggestions for new bassist are Tracy Ferrie, Ronny Cates, Mark Kelly, or Butch Dillon
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:22 am

Tracy Ferrie is the bassist for Boston. Unless he wants to pull double duty, I think he's out of the running.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 am

Mike has lots of friends in the secular world, which is where I think he will pull from.
0 x

davealward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by davealward » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:46 pm

Good For Tracy. Brent in your opinion if Michael draws from the secular world, do you think the person would have to be a Christian to tour with and be a full member of the band?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:21 pm

No.
0 x

davealward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by davealward » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:18 pm

Interesting opinion Brent. Michael stresses so much on facebook that their message and ministry is every bit as important as the music.
I could see non-Christians playing on the record as I know that's very common, but would find it strange if one of the members didn't believe what they were singing/playing live. That doesn't mean I would oppose going to a live show, I'd just find it weird....
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:09 am

I think you have got at point, and I do think they will pick someone who is a Christian. But we will have to wait and see.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Everyone has their opinion. I don't think it matters if the bass player is a Christian or not to Micheal. Having that label doesn't necessarily = authenticity. There are no guarantees any of us are truly Christians on and off our stages.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:21 pm

When it gets right down to it, anyone claiming to be a believer should be doing their best to live that way. That doesn't just apply to people who have to deal with the public or are in your favorite band. We all mess up. If we didn't, there would have been no reason for Jesus to die. It's possible to work in the secular industry and be a believer, and to work in the Christian industry and not be a believer. The entertainment industry in general isn't based on Biblical principles. The main concern with the entertainment industry is how much money they can make.

I haven't followed the Stryper drama that closely, but what band isn't going to have its drama? :P :roll: :mrgreen:
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:44 pm

With all the hush/hush going on with the situation I do think that maybe there will be a chance that Tim will return, but I do feel that chance is small. I see them just using a studio guy for the album and doing a rent a player for the live shows. Stryper as a band has matured into being more of Christian lyrical content wise band over the last 3 albums then they ever were in the 80's. The last 2 tours have been very eye opening for me in terms on how upfront Michael has spoken on stage about their Christian faith and relationship with Christ, so if they pick a perm member I do believe he would have to be a strong Christian.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by blayze5150 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:48 pm

I do remember James LoMenzo from White Lion was really close to the band. I don't know anything about him, but they used a session bassist on IGWT & THWTD (Brad Cobb, per Wikipedia). Who plays bass currently for Michael's solo band? That would be the most obvious choice, IMO. There's also always the possibility they'll use a session bassist until Tim gets things together. It's happened on more than one occasion.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Michael has been touring solo acoustic. He used James to record and be in his videos. That's who my money is on, since they have worked on Sweet Lynch and the solo records together.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:49 pm

davealward wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:25 pm
My suggestions for new bassist are Tracy Ferrie, Ronny Cates, Mark Kelly, or Butch Dillon
Mark Kelly is supposedly done with music after the Classic Petra deal ended. None of those Christian guys match stylistically, IMO.
0 x