A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Pushing too many boundaries

Post by blayze5150 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:27 pm

I have to say something, because for once, I’m more than a little disturbed. I realize Christian Music is a business. I realize, as coined by former WCW president Eric Bischoff, that “Controversy Creates Cash.” I also get that Stryper has long contended that they are “Christians in a band, not a Christian band,” and have never been choir boys. I can’t get past the new album title. THWTD got a pop for the risqué title in 1986 (I even got in trouble for wearing the shirt in junior high), but GD Evil is over the top. It’s not my place to judge, and I hate being negative about a band I’ve loved second only to Petra for most of my life, but for the first time... I’m going to have to pass on this one. I fear this may be a disaster for the band that may be bigger than “Against the Law.” (Old guys like me will remember that one going from “New and Hot” to bargain bin in record time). I get the double meaning, but I think this will upset a lot of their Christian fan base. I don’t see a band as lampooned by the secular world as Stryper has been (look up James Hetfield’s thoughts on THWTD) finding a new fan base in the metal genre. Again... not trying to judge. Just wondering what you guys might think.
0 x

idwala
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of This World

Re: Pushing too many boundaries

Post by idwala » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 pm

They're so clever and edgy!

That "Christians in a band" line is a cop-out. A lot of bands/artists use it and it only makes them look dorkier than they think they'd look if they called themselves a "Christian band."

I do like the new song. I usually can't take much of Michael Sweet's voice. Not bad on that one.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:56 am

Stryper lost their mystique decades ago, and people today have a pretty good idea exactly who they are and what they're about, so this play on words isn't particularly shocking, nor do I think it's going to be an Against the Law style disaster since now they're playing almost exclusively to a dedicated fan base who won't be caught off guard by something like this.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:16 am

Well after Mike explained it on facebook I see where they are coming from; if you go and research the word damn and look at its meaning it talks about on how God uses it against evil and it is explained as God damning evil. Lyrical content of the song clearly shows what they are talking about on how all evil is damning to God and He will deal with it in His time and we better be on the right side of God when it happens. Only in the last 60 years or so has that phrased become wrong because it is being use in the wrong context.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by Shell » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:17 am

I saw that a few days ago, and it took me a minute to realize it was a play on words. :P They probably could have come up with a better title, but as was pointed out the shock value thing shouldn't be a surprise. I love Michael's voice, but I prefer their early stuff.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:56 pm

idwala wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 pm
They're so clever and edgy!

That "Christians in a band" line is a cop-out. A lot of bands/artists use it and it only makes them look dorkier than they think they'd look if they called themselves a "Christian band."

I do like the new song. I usually can't take much of Michael Sweet's voice. Not bad on that one.
No, it's not a copout. If a Christian plumber works for a plumbing contractor, he is a plumber who is a Christian. His business is not a Christian business that employs plumbers. Two very different things.

These guys were musicians first, Christians second, Stryper third. There are PUH-LENTY of "Christian" artists who aren't believers at ALL. They are in that market, telling people what they want to hear, for a $. Gaither types included.

I was working in CCM radio when Stryper came out. They were NOT marketed as a Christian band to the stations, to the churches, etc. I bought the record myself and played it. Same with U2 and a few others. They were secular, playing secular venues with secular bands. There is no way Stryper could have made it otherwise. They were bashed by the VERY televangelist that led them to the Lord. Come on.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Hey, it's gotten people talking, and THAT is what makes things happen for an artist/band.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a bad meme. But then I read the press release and listened to the song. I get it.

The title is NOT taking God's name in vain. God has an unknown name. GD is not something people said in bible times and they would not have known GD as "taking God's name in vain". What that actually means is, we should not identify w/Christ, taking his name, and living otherwise. It means breaking the commitment. While cursing with what we call "God" is not proper, it is not the same thing as the unpardonable sin.

That song...I like everything but the chorus. My wife heard it from the kitchen while I was in the living room. She said, "Is he singing, "Kick 'em in the ballz! Kick 'em in the ballz!"? I don't think the chorus sounds like it is part of the same song. Maybe, in the context of the album, it will make more sense to me.
1 x

johntheumfreak
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 2003

Post by johntheumfreak » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Biblical terms in a Biblical context. All the things going on with Christian music these days and this is what people choose to get upset about.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm

"What are you looking for devil for when you ought to be looking for the Lord?"

"We're on another witch hunt..."
Last edited by Mountain Man on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm
"What are you looking for devil for when you out to be looking for the Lord?"

"We're on another witch hunt..."
EXACTLY!

Famous quote from Rev Billy Graham "If everyone is happy with me then I am doing something wrong"
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:40 pm

This just in. Possible names for future Stryper albums include:

F'ing Satan
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:36 am

To be honest I am not surprised at all and it would take a lot for me to be surprised by anything coming from the drama queens in their spandex dresses. They love this game.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by Shell » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:42 pm

What? Drama queens in the music/entertainment industry? Never! :mrgreen: In fairness, you can find drama queens anywhere; you just don't hear about all of them. Every band will have it's drama to some extent. It goes with the territory.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:50 am

Well, they don't wear spandex any more. I just started listening to some of their recent albums, and I have to say, I'm pleased that they've abandoned the glam-rock cheese and have started making music with some real grit to it.
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:50 am
Well, they don't wear spandex any more. I just started listening to some of their recent albums, and I have to say, I'm pleased that they've abandoned the glam-rock cheese and have started making music with some real grit to it.
So you mean to imply you do not miss the spandex dresses? Are you serious? :lol:
0 x