Do you like Disney?

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
MichaeLeah
Pethead
Pethead

Do you like Disney?

Post by MichaeLeah » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:54 pm

I just thought I would let you guys know in case someone wants to respond....

Maybe some of you already know about in summary the reason that Disney has gone downhill the last ten years is because Michael Eisner is a pycho. I tyrennical ways caused Roy Disney (Walt's nephew) to quit. Currently Roy is trying to get Eisner kicked out.

Here is some bad news....you know all those wonderful Disney cartoons you have loved all your life? Well Michael Eisner has fired just about all the animators, that's right, they are all jobless. The last traditional (hand-drawn) cartoon they are going to make is the one that comes out next month--Home on the Range.

If that bothers you go to www.saveDisney.com to find out what is going on and how you can help.

Roy wants Disney to be a place that produces family safe entertainment. With Eisner in control the conservative films Disney used to put out with no longer exist. In other words, you can help preserve family safe entertainment by helping out Roy.

Anyway, I will get off the soap-box.

Michael
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:56 pm

That's pretty sad. I love those old cartoons. :D

I'm sorry to say it doesn't surprise me to hear about this kind of thing; it goes on in large corporations. :P Of course I'm sure Walt Disney wasn't a saint either. :wink:

He shouldn't have fired all those people. He should have had them trained or given them a chance to get training in computer animation if that's the way he wanted to go. Typical corporate mentality; if a CEO or administrator wants something it's a done deal, but it's a different story for the staff. :P
0 x

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Do you like Disney?

Post by winterlens » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:09 pm

MichaeLeah wrote:I just thought I would let you guys know in case someone wants to respond....
For the record, while Eisner may not be the best CEO the company has ever had, he has maintained a fairly decent level of quality in entertainment--and family-oriented (much against the board's wishes). He, for instance, prohibits daughter organizations (I think Disney owns ESPN and ABC) from receiving condom-related advertisement revenue.

I think if you do your homework, you'll find that Eisner isn't the great Satan that he's been made out to be (and while Disney's fallen on hard times lately, he has piloted them to a fairly economically secure course). For what it's worth, almost all cartoons these days are done computer-wise anyway, or at least have computer-generated work in them. Very few are done by hand.

You'll note, too, that Disney broke ties with PIXAR for their 3-D studio work (this happened a couple months ago). I think Eisner probably perceives that computer animation is going to be the wave of the movie future and wants to assemble his own studio to compete in that market.
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Hehe.

Post by Shell » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:34 pm

The voice of reason. Your posts are so calm and well thought out Winterlens. :)

All sorts of nasty stuff goes in large corporations; the Disney family probably understandably doesn't like someone shaking things up. That kind of thing is bound to happen when you get people who have different ideas about how to do things. It's sad.
0 x

MichaeLeah
Pethead
Pethead

Just a few comments

Post by MichaeLeah » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:05 pm

I am not going to argue with winterlens but I will say that I recognize what I said initially wasn't a full description of what is going on. It was only a very brief summary of what Eisner has and is doing.

I recognize that there is always corruption at the head of large companies but what Eisner has done is far past the norm. He has taken far more money than a CEO normally does in a company of the same size--he has taken about $1 billion in bonuses since he came to Disney. He has done several other things as well.

Check out www.saveDisney.com for the full story.

Michael
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:24 am

lol........I'm a WB man myself

oh, well I do want to save Disney.......I just think that having the Disney family out of Disney is a bad idea. I think that in some sort that the Disney family should still be active in the company, after all it is Disney!

Yes I said it..you know it, you know it
Yes I said it..you know it, you know it

Nevermind Me :roll:
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

MichaeLeah
Pethead
Pethead

Post by MichaeLeah » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:40 am

If you like traditional hand-drawn animation from Disney, you better head off to the movies soon. The film Home on the Range is the last film in traditional animation that Disney is planning to make. It might be a while before we get to see this kind of film in the movies again. Disney has sold all their animation equipment. But get this...you know who bought the drawing boards, etc.? Pixar!

Pixar now owns the old Disney equipment for making traditional animation.

Anyway, my wife and I are going to go to the movies to watch the end of what started with Snow White. It is all over, no more of those wonderful cartoons we all grew up with... It is going to kinda stink for our kids...a great loss in American family entertainment...
0 x