Origins Of Rock

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Origins Of Rock

Post by PetfanInCt » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:58 pm

Hi Everyone

I've read on various websites and someone told me that the origins of Rock music start with rituals in Africa.. Groups in africa used drugs and a so-called rock beat to rile up what I understand to be evil spirit. I know this sounds wacky. I hear this mainly from the anti rock and especially anti-Christian rock crowd. Has anyone else heard of this..

I mean lucifer the devil before he fell was right along side Jesus in heaven and was in charge of music making and praising the LORD with the music. Then he fell and used the influence for negative purposes such has KISS OZZY and AC/DC you get the point.

Personally my opinion is some people have the tendency to use what was oringinally created for good purposes and use them in perverted way to take away from the GLORY of God such in this case with that whole bit of rituals in africa and the drumbeat and using music to prop up a satanic way of thinking.
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

seichu kaisho
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by seichu kaisho » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:45 pm

Perhaps you feel this way too - I just think it's really sad and pathetic how some secular rock bands sound way cool, but the music is not used to glorify Christ or share the salvation message. I have listened to albums by U2 and Def Leppard as well as great stuff on the radio from Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Rush, M�tley Cr�e, Billy Idol, ZZ Top, among others. The stuff i've heard from all these bands sound -- so awesome -- that I just know for sure that the music was divinely inspired from God. However, they are not christian bands, their lyrics are pointless and worldly, and most likely these band members are unbelievers. (except for U2, probably)

It just really ticks me off how secular bands put out incredible rock music, and yet not please God. It angers me how the lyrics are about women, weapons, or other baloney that has nothing to do with the good news about eternal salvation. So many non-Christians probably think that ungodly music is cool but Christian music is not - because of the popular stereotype that Christian music is only boring hyms or gospel songs. Most likely it's because too many teenage / young-adult unbelievers do not realize that there is Christian music in all the "cool" contemporary styles they like - such as rap or heavy metal.

We know that rock music is not evil in itself since it is a creation of God; the only thing that makes it evil is if song lyrics glorify satan instead of Christ. And too many great rock bands do that.
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

The Music

Post by Michael » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:39 am

You know something? I think that music has far less to do with spiritual issues than we tend to think. We participate in a worship service and we are like, "Oh wow, the music really caused the Spirit to come in, it was so beautiful and holy!" Really, people, music is air molecules wigglinlg around. I think what REALLY happens is that music helps the human beings get focused on God, and then they begin to worship, and then the Holy Spirit is able to move among the people because the people have become open to Him. This explains why some congregations with gorgeous, highly-professional musical performances during worship time get a worse "response from God" than some excitable little black congregation that does nothing but pound on tambourines and sing the same line over and over. The music is only an aid; you can worship God without any music at all. You can jump up and down from the ground, or you can jump on a trempoline; the trampoline makes it easier. Heck, it doesn't even take a very good trampoline, as long as it doesn't completely break. But if you never jump at all, you get the same effect.

That said... sure, there are probably some tribes in Africa who beat their drums and get all riled up, and evil spirits would love to come in and do some dirty work through them. But it's not the actual drum beats that do it, not the rhythm itself or the actual instrument; it doesn't matter what instrument they use, as long as the people respond to it and it makes them more receptive to spiritual things. It's not the music that invites demons in; it's the people.

Point being: if I write a rock song, and it contains an exact African beat, and you hear it and you've never been to Africa, I doubt that you will be jumped on by evil spirits. However, if you ARE from Africa, it might upset you a bit. It's like people who refuse to listen to the rock & roll songs they used to get high to, because it takes them back there and puts them in that smokin' something frame of mind, and they don't want to go there. I can listen to "Dream On" for days and not even consider getting high... some people can't. It's not the SONG... it's the PERSON.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]