What music have you been listening to lately?

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1993

What music have you been listening to lately?

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:47 am

I'd like to know what Petra fans have been listening to lately. We could periodically keep the post going. Last week I listened to David Crowder Band's Give Us Rest. This week I've been listening to Peter Furler's On Fire and Peter Furler Band's Sun and Shield. How about you?
Last edited by Carolina Petra Fan on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Re: What music have you been listening to lately?

Post by PiedPiper » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:25 am

This is Not a Test - TobyMac, in preparation for seeing him at a fall concert. I haven't seen him since he was with DC Talk.
I like the two Peter Furler albums as well, although, I can't really say I buy many albums at all now. It's all MP3s these days. Most of what I'm listening to are singles vs. entire albums. Looking forward to new Stryper album coming soon.
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:27 pm

I've been listening to the three new Stryper songs that are out and also their most recent album. Some "American Recordings" Johnny Cash, Fireflight, Sacred White, & Rez's "Reach Of Love". On the Petra side of things its been Unseen Power & Wake Up Call. Its weird those 2 albums are back to back but sound so different from each other.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Not so much into Christian music anymore.

Mumford & Sons (notably Wilder Mind) and Bear's Den (Islands) are in rotation at the moment.
0 x

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:58 am

If you're looking for some positive music, but not necessarily CCM, check out Need to breathe, Switchfoot, or Colony House.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Switchfoot is positive? Sounds pretty far-fetched to me.

Anyway, I was listening to Crumbacher-Duke's Worlds Away, September Lines Are Falling, Rob Frazier Heartland, and T-Bone's History of a Hoodlum (don't really recommend that one...) and lots of other weird stuff. In all probability no-one here has heard of any of it 8)
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:15 am

Switchfoot is positive. Though not all the songs are uplifting mood-wise, I will say that at least some of the songs are encouraging. Also, there is no cursing and no worldly message.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

Adonai
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 2007

Post by Adonai » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:14 pm

Rush, mostly their synth era stuff (Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Signals, etc.), with some Def Leppard mixed in now and again. I've also really gotten into Angelica here recently.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:54 am

I recently discovered that Steve Taylor released a new album after a 20-year hiatus, and it's honestly the best album I've heard in years, not just from Taylor but from anybody. This time he's calling himself "Steve Taylor & The Perfect Foil", the "Perfect Foil" being a new three-piece band featuring Jimmy Abegg on guitars, Peter Furler on drums, and John Mark Painter on bass. Just a great, great album.

Here's a review I submitted to Amazon:
Steve Taylor hasn’t lost a bit of edge in the 20-years since his last album. If anything, he's even sharper now. It’s like he went straight from "Squint" to recording “Goliath”, as if the two-decade hiatus never happened, and in fact this three-piece band fronted by Taylor sounds so familiar that you could be forgiven for thinking that it’s the return of Chagall Guevara (it's not; this is an entirely new line-up).

But I think, too, that Steve Taylor, one of the greatest songwriters in the music industry, has grown as an artist. Compared to his earlier work, the lyrics on “Goliath” are deceptively simple, less overtly humorous and satirical, but dense with artistry and meaning. This is a more mature, more reflective, less cynical Taylor than we had 20-years ago. It’s been a long time since I've bothered to study album lyrics, but there are some real gems to be uncovered here, and it’s worth your time.

Musically, this is a tight, sharp album with some great melodic hooks that get in your head and have you humming them afterward ("Comedian" is possibly the most epic song ever written by Taylor, right up there with "The Finish Line"). And the track selection is musically diverse enough that you could put this album on repeat and not grow tired of it -- it's like a greatest hits album but with all new songs. It has a fresher, more timeless quality than Taylor's 80s albums which are still great but can sound a little dated to modern ears.

This is an album that will find easy acceptance among fans of Steve Taylor, and it’s certainly one of his best efforts, but it could also earn him a lot of new fans as well. I just hope he doesn't wait another 20-years to release his next album.
0 x

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:19 am

The new Steve Taylor album is good. It took a little bit to get used to his voice and sarcasm, but I'm glad I did.

Also, this week, I've been listening to Third Day's Lead Me album. Certainly not their best worship album. Could use something more musically. The stripped down approach though makes it seem like it would be very easy to use some of the songs in church. (A side note: It's hard to believe that the band is now down to three original members.)
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:40 am

I just found this band called Random Hero; little edgier than what I normally listen to but the lyrical content is really strong and some of it reminds me of Bob's style of writing.
0 x

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:07 am

This week I've been listening to MxPx's On the Cover I and II. Definitely not very spiritual, but a fun listen. I'm ready for MxPx to release some new music. They haven't had a studio album since Plans within Plans.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:40 am

I bought POD's greatest hits: The Atlantic Years for 50 cents at a thrift store yesterday. I've been giving that a spin. I don't like all their songs, but some are good.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:56 am

This week I've been listening to two more CD's that I bought at the thrift store for 50 cent each:
Audioslave - Revelations (solid music, but some of the guitar solos are weird to me)
Lincoln Brewster - Amazed ( a VERY good guitarist)
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:41 am

I've been listening to the new cuts from the upcoming album by Stryper "fallen"; boy these guys still rock well into their 50's. The lyrical content of these cuts are straight forward Christian which in the past most have felt lacked on their material.
0 x