Homosexuals and the Russian Orthodox Church

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
curt
Pethead
Pethead

Homosexuals and the Russian Orthodox Church

Post by curt » Thu May 11, 2017 2:14 am

I think this article is of importance in order to understand what the Russian Orthodox church is actually teaching and how they support the Russian Governement in its grotesque politics:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 18826.html

Facts are that homosexual activities are not illegal in Russia. However you are not allowed to explicitly state that you are a homosexual and demonstrate for the rights of homosexuals. So it is simply speaking illegal in public. Doctors, preachers or whoever are not allowed to acknowledge the need to help anyone struggeling with the abuse that has been caused to them because of their homosexuality. Some homosexuals are beaten, tortured, stripped naked and exposed on the internet while people cover their faces in piss and laugh at them. The police accepts this kind of activity as does the government. As a consequence very few people support these victims, and some of them are driven to suicide.

It is in this context that the head of this (perhaps so-called) church even goes on to blame homosexual activities for the rise of ISIS. While he is completely failing his own responsibility (Love is the fullfilment of the law and he supports those who allow for hate and torture) he calls ISIS "honest" Muslims and talks generally more in favour of radicalised Muslims than secular society. Basically he seems to be more conserned with sexual activities than the killing of women, children and completely innocent people. He is so opposed to the "Godless" that he appears to think that any kind of God-driven activity is better. Of course he is allowed to think homosexual activities are wrong. However, his obligation is to love and help those in need, even if they are homosexuals. Basically he supports and works as ideological foundation for a government that allows for pain, torture and killing of homosexuals.

Perhaps you may find this documentary interesting too (if you can stand watching it): https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/youn ... ength-vice
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Homosexuals and the Russian Orthodox Church

Post by Shell » Fri May 12, 2017 4:51 pm

Okay, I agree going to this extreme isn't the way to handle this, and isn't likely to change anything. I think it's important to keep in mind that the Bible is clear about homosexuality being a sin. It's also important to understand homosexuality is not the only sin the Bible talks about. You need to look at the big picture and understand the problem with sin is the disobedience behind it, and disobedience is disobedience.

Part of the role of the church should be to point out Biblical truth and encourage others to follow God and make Him first. It is possible to do this without violence. Unfortunately there have been many times throughout history when the church focused on trying to force others to do things according to their specifications, while in many cases not doing themselves what they expected of others. It's fine to point out what the Bible says. What happens after that is between God and the individual. You can't force anyone to change. There are consequences for sin by the way, and that is something God will take care of. I don't think the church should be setting themselves up as judge. That is God's job. Just my take.
0 x