What if??? - The 2010 Classic Petra reunion 84', 85' lineup

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Re: What if??? - The 2010 Classic Petra reunion 84', 85' lineup

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:23 pm

I know this is hard for some people, but Petra is more than just John Schlitt.

If it wasn't for the Greg Volz era, I don't think that Petra would have lasted until '86 when John came along.
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:58 pm

in my opinion, PETRA starts with Bob. Since he wrote most every lyric and song in those days, he was the one who created the Petra 'brand'. It's possible Petra has survived because of his creative musical talent. Also, because the very strong Biblical based music. It's possible Petra could have been as successful with another God given singer, but I thank God for both Greg and John. Both are important.
I just say how does John feel because been through some tough Petra times as well (and good times too).
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:59 pm

All five classic members back again, this is gonna be awesome!
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:24 pm

petraman wrote:All five classic members back again, this is gonna be awesome!
Are these the five classic members? They've only recorded 1 studio album together. Wouldn't John Slick be more classic that John Lawry? Slick created the synthesizer sounds of NSD, MPTY and NOTW. Lawry hardly put his signature sound on BTS, because he only played a few the keyboard solos on the album. All the other synthesizer sounds were created by Carl Marsh. Lawry did some additional synthesizer programming. So maybe the classic five are Hartman, Volz, Weaver, Kelly and Slick.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:58 pm

p-freak wrote:
petraman wrote:All five classic members back again, this is gonna be awesome!
Are these the five classic members? They've only recorded 1 studio album together. Wouldn't John Slick be more classic that John Lawry? Slick created the synthesizer sounds of NSD, MPTY and NOTW. Lawry hardly put his signature sound on BTS, because he only played a few the keyboard solos on the album. All the other synthesizer sounds were created by Carl Marsh. Lawry did some additional synthesizer programming. So maybe the classic five are Hartman, Volz, Weaver, Kelly and Slick.

Yeah your right. But because of Captured in Time and Space, most people know that version of Petra more than, Hartman, Volz, Weaver, Kelly and Slick. If there was more video from the Slick years, that might help people remember him.
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:05 pm

I agree that Greg X. was very important to Petra. The first "Christian Rock" song I ever heard was "It Is Finished". Before that, I didn't really like music ... of any kind.

But Petra w/ Greg X changed everything for me. All in all, I like John just as well, but Greg X was the singer that got Petra off the ground.

I'm okay calling this line-up "Classic Petra", or at least "A Classic Petra". Let's face it. Petra is the "Dr. Who" of Christian Music. Every incarnation looks different, and there's been quite a few of them.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:17 am

Instead of talking about who is or isn't a "classic member", shouldn't we just be happy that there is going to be a Petra reunion?? :shock:
0 x

petranite
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petranite » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Are there even ANY CONFIRMED dates for this yet? If so where do you find them. I haven't seen any concrete evidence other then this board and some lame website splash page. If this is indeed happening then AWESOME and I'm there!
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:05 pm

Ok, so I was bored and I did a little investigative work and came up with the following from the internet:

Classicpetra.com is owned and registered by someone calling themseleves 3kStatic. Looking up 3kStatic, I found that this is an electronica group that Kevin Max (fomerly of DC Talk) works with from time to time. According to another site http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Greg_X._Volz, Greg X. Volz has lent vocals to 3kStatic for a song called "Counterprogramming" released in 2008, that seemed to do quite well on emusic.com and iTunes according to their site. However, I won't speculate on who actually is updating the site.

Given those connections, the site does seem to have some legitimacy.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:54 pm

http://classicpetra.com/ has been updated, and Mark kelly is in.
Tour list to follow...
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:56 pm

The last email I recieved from the promoter(Greg Carnes) is that everything was a go, but none of the principles had yet to sign on. Everyone involved was basically saying the word of mouth thing. Now we learned today from another thread that this promoter(Greg Carnes) is no longer involved in this, and other then the cover page of the web site we have no other info than that.
My personal opinion is that this classic Petra thing will not happen(10% chance it will); If this does happen it will happen without this promoter.
I do believe from an inside source that Greg Carnes was putting out this info without the final approval of some of the Classic Petra Members and most likely the reason why he is no longer involved in the process.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:16 pm

Ahhh. Sounds like the same old same old....control. Someone needs to get a grip. There has to be a demonstrable demand. Without publicity, how can demand be measured? It's not like a horde of people can call the buys on the same day at the same time and offer to buy a ticket. It's not like these old geezers (:P) sell records and tickets.

If this guy got a bloody head for lighting the fire, then so be it. He will have a greater reward than cash IMO.

Bring your rockers and your hearin' aids and lets rock you old farts...while we still care. We have four years before Obama care drives us into bankruptcy. Time is a tickin'.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:28 pm

Oh the drama.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:03 am

Well, isn't this nice. I just found out about it and it changes before I even get to say yippy.

I never have got to see Petra live in concert, I would love to and I don't care what line up it is. I want to see Bob, I want to worship live with the band who ever it is and I want to say I've seen PETRA in concert. Whatever lineup it's going to be (If it happens) you can trust that it's not going to be a let down. Bob knows his stuff.

And hey, if Van Halen of all bands can reunite with David Lee Roth, then I don't see any reason why PETRA couldn't reunite with Greg X Volz. It can work and even though people develop problems with each other over the years the Bible says that we must have forgivness in our heart, it also says to love one another. So I would think that for Bob and Greg to have the hearts they have for God and God's will in their life, then they would put behind them whatever might have been a problem and forgive each other. Same goes for John and Louie.

My opinion, I'm sticking with it. Gotta problem with it? Then pick my boogers! :)
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:57 pm

The graphic has been updated again.