New Classic Petra Update as of 7-23-10

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: New Classic Petra Update as of 7-23-10

Post by executioner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:25 am

brent wrote:When I have commented it was to say that all of this was PRE Kevin completely. To say that it was before Kevin returned would be only half true, because it would be before Kevin was in the band the FIRST time.

1. Who knows who made the offer? Maybe the band didn't know about it. Maybe it was a producer or studio engineer trying to complete something to get his money out of it.
2. What secular band would admit to asking some no-name guy (at that time) and being turned down?
3. REO wasn't making any money at the time. Maybe Greg saw Petra as a more profitable venture.
4. Maybe eveyone was smoking too much mary jane and this was just a fig newton of his imagination that was transfered into reality?

Oh, and I never said they were a one hit wonder. They sold the MTV audience a ballad and got popular. Musically, they aren't very interesting at the same time. That was all.

One thing I do know is that I never purchased ONE CD from anyone because they almost were in a band. I don't see that as a good selling point. It should be dropped. The only people it matters to are the pimpers on the business side, trying to get some sales and ratings. Let the CURRENT music stand on it's own, because people really could give a rip about what might have been 35+ years ago.
Yeah I dont see why Greg would bring this up; I'm like Bret and say I wouldn't go out and buy an artists stuff just because he said he was offered a lead singer position in an ok popular band, especially in a band I don't like at all. I've always put them in the category with Boston and Kansas. Somewhat ok but nothing really special and nothing to catch my ear.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:29 pm

executioner wrote:
brent wrote:
One thing I do know is that I never purchased ONE CD from anyone because they almost were in a band. I don't see that as a good selling point. It should be dropped. The only people it matters to are the pimpers on the business side, trying to get some sales and ratings. Let the CURRENT music stand on it's own, because people really could give a rip about what might have been 35+ years ago.
Yeah I dont see why Greg would bring this up; I'm like Bret and say I wouldn't go out and buy an artists stuff just because he said he was offered a lead singer position in an ok popular band, especially in a band I don't like at all. I've always put them in the category with Boston and Kansas. Somewhat ok but nothing really special and nothing to catch my ear.
I agree. I'm interested in it more from a historical/journalistic standpoint. It's a claim someone made, and it's interesting enough to try to get right. I think the motivation to put it out there in the first place is because there's this implicit inferiority complex with Christian music, this quest to be considered artistically on the same level as secular artists in the same genre, and if a Christian artist can say, "I'm good enough to be in such and such popular secular band," then they can knock down those arguments criticizing the quality of Christian music.

The problem with that line of attack, so to speak, is that the arguments come from people who are unlikely to give Christian music a chance anyway, no matter how many secular bands you work with or offer you a job, because they're really offended not by the quality of the music but by the substance of the lyrics. And you can't -- or you shouldn't -- do anything about that.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Manny I am sure you will work it out, you have some great research skills. I agree the time-lines don't fit at all.

I was still young enough to believe anything when the statement was first made about the Reo connection, 10 years+ ago. The statement was made after Volz's solo career went down the tube and he had personal issues. It wasn't mentioned before late 90's. It doesn't really matter Volz would have been a better singer than that Kevin guy. I agree with Brent that there would be other bands more noteworthy than Reo if you wanted to make a statement. Reo does suck.
0 x

daveferrari
Pethead
Pethead

Post by daveferrari » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:39 pm

It wasn't mentioned before late 90's
I disagree with that statement. I remember hearing this story as early as the "Never Say Die" era. I saw Petra open for Servant that year and this story was floating around at that time. I think it's a great story that lends to the mystique and history of Petra. I doubt anyone has outright lied...but sometimes stories take on a life of their own. This may be one of those stories. But I think it's a good story for Christian music.

Also...It was Jimmy Hendrix who made the Phil Keaggy comment...not Eric Clapton. He made it on the Johnny Carson show.....oh wait I guess that may be just a made up story as well huh. Here is some info on that http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/keaggy.asp.

Fun stuff to talk about though.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Ok, where did you hear that?
0 x

daveferrari
Pethead
Pethead

Post by daveferrari » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:52 pm

I remember when being convinced to go by the leaders of our youth group hearing something about it. I don't know if it was documented anywhere...I just remember hearing "the lead singer of Petra turned down REO speedwagon back in the day". Trust me...that rumor has been around for a long time.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:56 pm

I believe you.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:27 am

daveferrari wrote:
It wasn't mentioned before late 90's
I disagree with that statement. I remember hearing this story as early as the "Never Say Die" era. I saw Petra open for Servant that year and this story was floating around at that time. I think it's a great story that lends to the mystique and history of Petra. I doubt anyone has outright lied...but sometimes stories take on a life of their own. This may be one of those stories. But I think it's a good story for Christian music.

Also...It was Jimmy Hendrix who made the Phil Keaggy comment...not Eric Clapton. He made it on the Johnny Carson show.....oh wait I guess that may be just a made up story as well huh. Here is some info on that http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/keaggy.asp.

Fun stuff to talk about though.
That statement from Greg has been around even before her left Petra in 1985.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

74CAPethead
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Greg and REO

Post by 74CAPethead » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:41 am

I asked Bob if Greg was asked to sing for REO and this was his reply:

"We recorded our first and second album at Golden Voice Studio in South Pekin, IL. It was an odd place to have a studio, but it was well equipped because the owner had an audio business that sold studio equipment. The studio attracted many of the local musicians and bands, such as REO, Head East, Dan Fogelberg, and...well, us. The studio manager was Terry Jameson, a good christian man. Terry knew Greg well. The bass player from "E" band, Thom Byler, was one of his engineers and he worked on Petra's first album. At some point, REO was in the studio. I know this for a fact because Terry knew their tech who had wired their Marshalls a certain way (a mod) and Terry gave us their tech's number and he told our tech (a guy at our church) how to wire ours that way. REO talked about needing a singer and Terry thought of Greg. They might very well have known Greg or known of him by reputation because both E band and REO were from the same Champain/Urbana area and played all the same venues before E band became Christians. It was Terry who called Greg and asked him if he would be interested in singing for REO."
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks for clearing that up Julie, it makes sense. 8) It might have been interesting to hear Greg sing "heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend you've been messing around" or "I'm gonna keep on lovin' you" :mrgreen:

I need to call you girl. I'll do my best to do that sometime this next week.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:41 am

But, Shell, Greg would never have sung "Keep on Lovin You" because Kevin wrote it.

That is why it is stupid to consider what REO would have been like with Greg singing because Kevin was such a big part of their success from a songwriting standpoint. He may not be the best true singer in the world, but his voice was perfectly suited to REO's style, and his songwriting contributions impressive. Beside KOLY, he wrote "Roll With the Changes," "Time for Me to Fly," "Can't Fight This Feeling," "I Don't Wanna Know," and "In My Dreams," just to name a few.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:29 am

brent wrote:ALL of the stories about Phil K being the best guitarist are false. This rumor goes back a looooong time. Phil has debunked all of them for a looooong time. The major ones at the time were Gene Simmons and Eddie Van Halen. Eric Clapton is one I hadn't heard. The facts are, there has never been a guitar player publication or any other interview documentation to prove anyone has said this.
The version I heard some 25-years ago featured Jimmie Hendrix.
brent wrote:There was a story floating around on the Zone that someone asked a REO band member about Greg trying out. They said Greg fell on his butt and then was not called back. I don't know if this was a poetic or literal statement, or if it was even truthful. Sometimes people say stupid things to distance themselves from others and their beliefs.
I heard this from one of my friends who is close friends with Greg Volz, and Volz told him the story that he wanted to make this big entrance during the audition, so he ran out on stage, slipped, and literally fell on his butt.

And then there's the version I've heard Volz relate in radio interviews, where they offered him the gig and said they really didn't care whether or not he was a Christian and then offered him a lot of money, but Volz turned it down because it bothered his conscience.

And finally there's REO's version that says they've never heard of the guy.

Who knows where the truth actually lies.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:52 am

That makes sense too Bridget. It's kind of fun to speculate about someone else singing them though. :mrgreen: That being said, I do love the original versions of those songs.

Darren, I'd be inclined to believe Julie's version is probably the most accurate...Bob actually knew and worked with the person who talked to Greg. But whatever, after all this time, is it really all that big a deal?

Let the rumor/speculation mill continue...It will probably always be there. :P
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:02 am

The plot thickens, that's not a studio managers call surely.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:12 am

Classic Petra
0 x