Classic Petra: Any samples of the new stuff?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Classic Petra: Any samples of the new stuff?

Post by Timbo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:00 pm

Sue, is this really going to happen? If so, please pass this word of encouragement on to John. John does not need any Petra guys to put out a record that really rocks. Like I have stated before in the zone, Shake was far better than any of those Petra records put out between Wake up call and J&H.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:03 pm

I wasn't asking, Sue. Being the arbitrarily chosen Official Petrazone Spokesman, consider this a demand from a deserving bunch.
My mistake.... I forgot -- the Petheads DO have a right to demand! :P
Sue, how many copies does John need to see preordered to start recording? I can't imagine preorders even hitting 1k without major money spent on advertisements, etc. Why not just sign a 360 deal?
For those of you not familiar with the term - here's a quick explanation:

"With an increase in file sharing and music sales plummeting in recent years, labels and organizations have had to change their strategies and the way they work with artists. New types of deals are being made with artists called "multiple rights" or "360" deals with artists. These types of pacts give Labels rights and percentages to artist's touring, merchandising, and endorsements. In exchange for these rights, Labels usually give higher advancement payments to artists, have more patience with artist development, and higher percentages in CD sales. These 360 style deals are most effective when the artist is established and has loyal fan base. For that reason, Labels now have to be more relaxed with the development of artists because longevity is the key to these types of pacts. Several artists such as Paramore, Maino, and even Madonna have signed such types of deals."

Sure, you get the music out - but you're also giving away so much of your income FROM the album as well. I really doubt John would even consider this. He got burned on distribution with TAG going under and all.... he's very leery of doing anything with anyone other than himself at this point.

Preorders of 2000-2500 or so would guarantee a full album. I know... big numbers. It would take a full marketing strategy of some sort. Singles may be an option to a full CD, but John's idea of the real thing = a full CD.

Timbo -- yes, it will really happen if the financials can be worked out... he's talking to the Lord about that one right now. John really does want to do another album... and I know people want to hear him! After so many years, he still has SO MUCH of a voice -- and it needs to be heard.

The question always boils down to the almighty buck.
0 x

Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Timbo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:24 am

I really hate money. I really wish ministry could happen without money.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 am

Don't we all...

It depends on how you define "ministry" at any given moment. Handing a glass of water to a thirsty kid is ministry, according to Jesus - - and that kind act won't be forgotten.

Course there's the bigger picture as well, such as concerts, speaking, seminars, music, etc. That DOES all cost.

If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
If I were a biddy biddy rich,
Yidle-diddle-didle-didle man
0 x

PetraFan007
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetraFan007 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:37 pm

I would, on one condition....that it would be signed AND that it would be an album, not an EP. :)
0 x
E-mail me at [img]http://petrafan007.100megs15.com/nospam.jpg[/img]

its231
Pethead
Pethead

Post by its231 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:31 pm

This go's to Sue would John be interested in like selling off a very small amount of the royalties of a few songs off his up coming album that we all want to hear? Stryper did it on Songvest. I bid on a song on there and won one of the songs. If you did like two songs only put up like 5% of the writers share of royalties up. For auction you could do it in small amounts so that. John retains most of royalties. But he also gets the money to finish recording or start recording you know there are fans out there that would go nuts at a chance for something like this. I would suggest you check out songvest.com and see if John would be interested. It would be awesome to get new music and John get's payed and we all get a new album to here. I'm in the camp of what he released in 95 and 96 was where Petra should have been musically. Those albums really rocked. Yes I did like the Grafting I have it on cd :) Just thought I would float this idea around and see what happened with it. I understand him not wanting to get burned. I Just wondered what the response to would be? thanks
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:47 am

Hmmmm.... that is an interesting concept. I hadn't heard of that before.

So you bid on the rights to finance the song? And then in return you get royalties back? I'll have to take a look at this....
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:24 am

Yeah, I'm aware of it too. Michael Sweet has done it with the last two Stryper Albums. Go to songvest.com to learn more about it.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:01 am

its231 wrote:This go's to Sue would John be interested in like selling off a very small amount of the royalties of a few songs off his up coming album that we all want to hear? Stryper did it on Songvest. I bid on a song on there and won one of the songs. If you did like two songs only put up like 5% of the writers share of royalties up. For auction you could do it in small amounts so that. John retains most of royalties. But he also gets the money to finish recording or start recording you know there are fans out there that would go nuts at a chance for something like this. I would suggest you check out songvest.com and see if John would be interested. It would be awesome to get new music and John get's payed and we all get a new album to here. I'm in the camp of what he released in 95 and 96 was where Petra should have been musically. Those albums really rocked. Yes I did like the Grafting I have it on cd :) Just thought I would float this idea around and see what happened with it. I understand him not wanting to get burned. I Just wondered what the response to would be? thanks
There is no money in that...for anyone. People do not make money from royalties much anymore, unless they are BIG sellers. Royalty checks require audits, accounting, statements, etc. It would be better for people to just give a tax deductible gift to a ministry. There would be more return in all ways.
Attachments
selling_out_550.png
selling_out_550.png (51.2 KiB) Viewed 3926 times
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:37 pm

I just thought of something

What if John can get Petra alumni like Ronny Cates, Jim Cooper, Quinton Gibson and Paul Simmons to be on his new Solo Album……….lol

It would be two versions of Petra…….yeah!!!!!

Might as well bring Petra out of retirement all together, they're not done Rockin' Yet.
Last edited by bakersfieldpethead on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:59 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:I just thought of something

What if John can get Petra alumni like Ronny Cates, Jim Cooper, Quinton Gibson and Paul Smith to be on his new Solo Album……….lol

It would be two versions of Petra…….yeah!!!!!

Might as well bring Petra out of retirement all together, they're not done Rockin' Yet.

Maybe I should know this but who is Paul Smith??? :shock:
0 x

RockOn
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 1982

Post by RockOn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:39 am

Paul Smith was the lead singer for The Imperials back in the day.
He's now lead singer of The Classic Imperials.
Hey...everyone's going CLASSIC nowadays!
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:31 am

RockOn wrote:Paul Smith was the lead singer for The Imperials back in the day.
He's now lead singer of The Classic Imperials.
Hey...everyone's going CLASSIC nowadays!
Yeah, but he doesn't have anything to do with Petra. I'm guessing Bakes meant Paul Simmons.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:49 pm

yeah I corrected it. Paul Simmons

And it is true about The Classic Imperials...(the only one missing out of that lineup is Jim Murray)
But I've knowns Rick Evans since I was 4 years old, he's a pretty good guy to be with that legendary bunch.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"