Too Big To Fail! CRANK IT UP!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Too Big To Fail! CRANK IT UP!

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Masada1 wrote:I think that maybe without question the most rockin Volz Petra tune ever!
I agree, it's awesome.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Post by zak89 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:15 am

I was a bit apprehensive when I started listening to this tune - I was hoping it would be a Hartman-authored song, but I wasn't sure. At the line just before the first chorus ("I'll testify!") I knew Bob was back! Time will tell, but I'm dangerously close to calling this my favorite Volz-sung Petra song ever! It's missing a guitar solo IMHO, although the album as a whole more than makes up for that (love the new guitar lead at the end of Graverobber!)

This album is simply awesome! I hope that it garners enough interest to reward the guys - I might buy the download once or twice more and give the files to some music-minded friends.
I think that maybe without question the most rockin Volz Petra tune ever!
Uh, I sorta agree - "Maybe without question"? Make up your mind already! I'd forgo the "maybe"! :lol:
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:28 am

it sort of has a solo, it's just rather faint and uninspired compared to what Bob usually does.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

jeremywg
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this World
Pethead since: 1981

Post by jeremywg » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:15 am

I think the entire project is great. They stayed true enough to the original Recordings but took out the Jonathan David Brown influence. And aside from CITAS this is the only album these 5 guys have ever played on together. In my opinion this is one of the greatest modern christian rock albums I have heard. Maybe I'm just a hopeless Pethead, but even TBTF and BTTR are better than anything else I've been hearing out there. Music has taken a pitfall for the past 15 years or so and I'm so thankful to have the Petra I grew up with back on the scene. I can't wait till this Saturday in Hendersonville when they break into Too Big.... Our God is Too Big to fail!!! I have a feeling the power in those words will be fully realized in a live performance. Can't Wait!!
0 x
"Where is my long lost "Beat the System" Bandanna? I just can't rock without it."

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Too Big to Fail sounds like it could easly kick off an album of all new songs.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:52 pm

The lyrics are a little elementary. It sounds a lot like a weak praise song written by the local music pastor. Petra can and does a lot better than this one.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:03 pm

Sometimes simple songs make a bigger impact. Bob must have thought it was good enough, he wrote it after all.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:41 pm

bakersfieldpethead wrote:Sometimes simple songs make a bigger impact. Bob must have thought it was good enough, he wrote it after all.
That's true. We Exalt Thee is about as simple as it gets and it works for me. It may not be a bob composition but they did record it. On BTTR I've pretty much become obsessed with Grave Robber and More Power To Ya with a side of Back to the Rock. Clean just needs to go- It's the second time to record it so I'm pretty sure I'll never like it. I'd like to see another attempt at God Gave Rock and Roll to You but they have already tried it twice and IMO never got it right. Bride sorta did!
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Actually, their first version of God Gave Rock and Roll To You is my favorite version ever done by anybody.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

jeremywg
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this World
Pethead since: 1981

Post by jeremywg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:26 am

rexreed wrote: That's true. We Exalt Thee is about as simple as it gets and it works for me. It may not be a bob composition but they did record it. On BTTR I've pretty much become obsessed with Grave Robber and More Power To Ya with a side of Back to the Rock. Clean just needs to go- It's the second time to record it so I'm pretty sure I'll never like it. I'd like to see another attempt at God Gave Rock and Roll to You but they have already tried it twice and IMO never got it right. Bride sorta did!
I think Clean is awesome on bttr. And as for the Bride version of God Gave Rock and Roll to you, I thought it was kind of silly sounding. In less you are referring to their Rap/rock version, then I would say it was horrible. I'm in agreement that the CAJU version is the best version ever right along with the KISS version.
0 x
"Where is my long lost "Beat the System" Bandanna? I just can't rock without it."

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm in agreement that the CAJU version is the best version ever right along with the KISS version.
Kiss didn't do it justice. Paul couldn't lay a hand on Greg's vocals and in my opinion Bob can outplay Ace or whoever Kiss has now.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:12 pm

jeremywg wrote:
rexreed wrote: That's true. We Exalt Thee is about as simple as it gets and it works for me. It may not be a bob composition but they did record it. On BTTR I've pretty much become obsessed with Grave Robber and More Power To Ya with a side of Back to the Rock. Clean just needs to go- It's the second time to record it so I'm pretty sure I'll never like it. I'd like to see another attempt at God Gave Rock and Roll to You but they have already tried it twice and IMO never got it right. Bride sorta did!
I think Clean is awesome on bttr. And as for the Bride version of God Gave Rock and Roll to you, I thought it was kind of silly sounding. In less you are referring to their Rap/rock version, then I would say it was horrible. I'm in agreement that the CAJU version is the best version ever right along with the KISS version.
The Rap version is the one I was referring too, sans the rap portion. DOC sure was horrible.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:14 pm

bakersfieldpethead wrote:
I'm in agreement that the CAJU version is the best version ever right along with the KISS version.
Kiss didn't do it justice. Paul couldn't lay a hand on Greg's vocals and in my opinion Bob can outplay Ace or whoever Kiss has now.
Man Kiss sure is a lousy band, but their GGRRTY sounds a lot better than either Petra recording to me. It actually rocks, whereas Petra sounds like it could rock, if only the amps could get as high as 11.
0 x

SCJ-7
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1988

Post by SCJ-7 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:
Actually, their first version of God Gave Rock and Roll To You is my favorite version ever done by anybody.
I agree. For me that original version is the best version... better than the KISS version. Sincerely, that long intro is one of the best of Mr. Bob...
0 x
"Never perfect but perfectly forgiven"...

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Petra’s 1977 version was done by a band that was primarily a Southern Rock band. Glover tried out to play Drums again before J&H tour and couldn’t cut it with the new sound. The 1984 version was more in the hands of the producer than anything.

The only live version I've heard Petra do of it was on CITAS and it was only the tag of the song. So I'm not sure how the full version sounded live. In the hands of Petra and Petra only I think you would hear something that would out do anyone who recorded that song.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)