If the Farewell lineup of Petra continued....

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

If the Farewell lineup of Petra continued....

Post by blayze5150 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:19 am

... as a new band, with a new name, without Bob Hartman (who is busy with Classic Petra), who would you like to see as the guitarist? How awesome do you think this would be? Pure fun, pure fantasy. Any Christian guitarist other than Bob. Any additional instuments can be added to the band (second guitarist, keyboardist, ect). Now, my thoughts:
Add Rex Carroll from Whitecross or Tony Palacios from Guardian. Oz Fox... maybe.
Thoughts?
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Re: If the Farewell lineup of Petra continued....

Post by rexreed » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:49 am

All of the previous posts guitarist are fine players but non can really be the lead guitar for Petra. Well I guess they could but would they want to is the question. They're too distinguished in their respective right to take Bob's place. Now, That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see Carrol Hartman, and Fox somehow sharing the same stage for a massive tour...Why not throw in Ken Tamplin and some Dennis Cameron while you are at it... :lol: The new name? How about King James?
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System

Post by Boray » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:35 am

I think John Schlitt could use the Farewell lineup (without Hartman) plus a guitar player and keyboard player, and then tour as "John Schlitt", with material from his solo albums as well as Petra songs.
0 x

r_karlsson22
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire
Pethead since: 1996

Post by r_karlsson22 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:39 am

I think Greg X Volz could use the classic lineup and then tour as "Greg X Volz", with material from his solo albums as well as Petra songs. :roll: :wink:

Hehe, actually I am pretty excited about the Classic Petra thing and looking forward to see them in (hopefully) Sweden next year (do you think they can bring the CITAS-stage all the way to Scandinavia?? :P )!
Allthough I prefer the voice of John Schlitt. But I am glad that they found a "new" way to spread the message!

Blessings!
0 x
https://twitter.com/RickardWidgren
http://AboutRickard.com
Instagram: rickardwidgren

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead

Post by blayze5150 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:40 am

Oh, no! Not a new version of Petra! Petra without Bob is... well... we all know what that leads to, so I'm not going there! I'm saying a new supergroup featuring John and Greg Bailey, maybe with the Farewell lineup's new drummer. I just think John and Greg were great together, and even though Bob has moved on to another project (Classic Petra), I think they can still rock together. Like I said: Dream Band style! Under a new name, of coarse! No one can replace Bob in Petra!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:31 am

I don't think Greg could or would tour constantly because of the church job, Paul is busy touring, so it would be John and a whole new band....which would not be Petra, We have had that before. It would be a pass for me. Personally, I don't care to ever hear a new CD or go to a show of the Farewell type. I want the Classic Petra guys with John on Greg's days off.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:38 am

I agree totally with Brent, except that if the Farewell line up with Paul release a new Album, then that would be something to look for.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:44 am

I think the best two songs on farewell was Grave Robber and Beyond Belief; they were the most complete versions of Petra in years. The thing that would have made the J&H years better was if Louie was still there and they brought back John Lawry.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

SCJ-7
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1988

Post by SCJ-7 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:11 pm

A Farewell Petra without Bob?... NO.
0 x
"Never perfect but perfectly forgiven"...

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:04 pm

I think if John wants to have a live band, that would be cool, providing the money comes in to keep a band on the road. But in no way should it be another formation of Petra.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead

Post by blayze5150 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Once again: this is not Petra... just a really cool band with former members of the Farewell lineup. Petra without Bob Hartman does not exist. Period. I'm just going for a Christian Chickenfoot type thing. I have no intention of suggesting a replacement for Bob in any form of Petra. Truthfully, I'm just fantisizing about some of my favorite Christian rock musicians forming a super band. I was so impressed with Greg Bailey when I saw him on the Farewell tour that I thought he would be a perfect fit for such a venture. John Schlitt very well may be the best rock singer in Christian music history, and if Christian is anything like Paul Simmons, he would definately fit the bill. Just seemed like a great pre-formed lineup to put with an awesome guitarist to form an incredible NEW band. Please do not think that I, a multi-decade Pethead since before anyone called us Petheads, would ever suggest a replacement for the immortal Bob Hartman. I shutter at that thought! I just thought it would be fun to use that core for a "dream lineup" of a new band since Bob is doing Classic Petra. Please, Please, Please forgive me if I left the wrong impression: I mean no disrespect for the founding father of my favorite band, or it's current incarnation, or the Farewell lineup! Just playing "What if?"
0 x

SCJ-7
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1988

Post by SCJ-7 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Bob Hartman = Petra. That's all.
0 x
"Never perfect but perfectly forgiven"...

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:21 pm

SCJ-7 wrote:Bob Hartman = Petra. That's all.
He's saying that the rest of Petra (John, Paul, Greg) start a NEW band that doesn't involve Bob.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:32 pm

Does it have to be an 80s head-banggity shreddin' retread?

I would suggest Andrew Prickett, Eric Bartlett, Hideyo Moriya, Kevin Shields, David Roback or Bob Mould.

I think more important than figuring out who picks the guit-fiddle is what the name of the new band would be.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."