Third Classic Petra Album - All New Songs

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Third Classic Petra Album - All New Songs

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Preacherman is right; I believe these five members are in this just to see what God has in store for them and also just enjoying making music.
I think when an artist is worried if its right for radio then that artist Christain or secular are on it for the wrong reasons and at that moment ceases to be an artist. Write a song from the heart and with the abilities God gave you.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

BCW1969
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BCW1969 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:40 pm

I was a bit disappointed when I first heard the "Wake up Call" album...I was expecting Beyond Belief and Unseen Power, and instead I got that...I eventually grew to really like the album, and Just Reach Out may be my favorite song period---but, in my mind, I had always wondered what The Wake up Call album would have sounded like if the elefante's had produced it.

Brad
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:25 pm

BCW1969 wrote:I was a bit disappointed when I first heard the "Wake up Call" album...I was expecting Beyond Belief and Unseen Power, and instead I got that...I eventually grew to really like the album, and Just Reach Out may be my favorite song period---but, in my mind, I had always wondered what The Wake up Call album would have sounded like if the elefante's had produced it.

Brad
I think it would have turned out somewhat bad IMO. WUC is by far the greatest sounding work Petra has ever done.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

bjh
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1987

Post by bjh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:07 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:I have to doubt that the money is there at this point for them to be shopping for any top notch producers and I'm not sure that commercial viability is really foremost on their minds. I think Bob realized that ship had pretty much sailed when he retired Farewell Petra. I suspect this is more a labor of love for the fans and for them to just enjoy what they're doing on their own terms. Maybe just to see what God will do with it. I mean I know they want to sell they're music, so yes, it has to viable in that respect, but I'd be really surprised if they think they're ever gonna see the heights of their glory years under either John or Greg. Never say never I guess, and maybe I'm wrong and that is what they're looking for, but I doubt it.

I'll really be interested to see what they come up with on this album of all new material. That will really tell us what they can do on their own.
John & Bob aren't that bad of producers, really... I reserve the right to recant this if on BTTR2, we hear, "We are not of this wop shooby, wop shooby, wop, shooby dooby doo world". :shock:
0 x
BJH

"Through the ages it will ring... to Jehovah we will sing!"

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!

Post by Dan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 pm

Bob produced the 2 guys from Petra album, and that sounded great.
0 x

PetraFan007
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetraFan007 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:37 pm

honestly, i wish there was only 1 album with remixed songs, and 2 new albums. Tired of bands rehashing old stuff. Out with the old and in with the new!!! The original recordings were good enough! :)
0 x
E-mail me at [img]http://petrafan007.100megs15.com/nospam.jpg[/img]

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Post by zak89 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:08 pm

I couldn't disagree with you more! 8)
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm

I love what they've done with the old songs. With most of them I don't think I'll ever want to listen to the originals again. I'd like to see them all remade. Give me that and three CD's of new music and I'll be perfectly happy......until next year.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:31 am

Preacherman777 wrote:I'd be really surprised if they think they're ever gonna see the heights of their glory years under either John or Greg.
That would be more probable if they were a secular band, but the Christian music industry has this nasty habit of treating artists like crap once they're no longer at the height of their popularity
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!

Post by Dan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:54 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Preacherman777 wrote:I'd be really surprised if they think they're ever gonna see the heights of their glory years under either John or Greg.
That would be more probable if they were a secular band, but the Christian music industry has this nasty habit of treating artists like crap once they're no longer at the height of their popularity
This is true, If Petra/Classic Petra was to take a secular route it would be the only way.. Petra is too good for the CCM banner.

Like Preacher said, in any form they are not going to hit the heights that were hit in 80's and early 90's, not unless there is a miracle.. and we believe in those right?
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:32 pm

executioner wrote:
BCW1969 wrote:I was a bit disappointed when I first heard the "Wake up Call" album...I was expecting Beyond Belief and Unseen Power, and instead I got that...I eventually grew to really like the album, and Just Reach Out may be my favorite song period---but, in my mind, I had always wondered what The Wake up Call album would have sounded like if the elefante's had produced it.

Brad
I think it would have turned out somewhat bad IMO. WUC is by far the greatest sounding work Petra has ever done.
Agreed. Brown Banister was the top dog producer in the industry at that time, PETRA even talked about always wanting to work with him. Brown has more awards as a producer than the Elefante brothers will ever have as producers. Brown was also producing for Amy Grant, Michael W Smith and others at that time and Petra never sounded better than they did on Wake-Up Call.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:43 am

It never ceases to amaze me that people want their version of Petra, and think that their version is best. What a good thing in one way but a curse in others.

Come on guys. You could not continue to have those cheesy, dated sounds of the E brothers production (pseudo metal with keys?) for ever. Nobody in secular music was making it with those sounds by the time WUC hit, Petra changed with the times. They had to. There was no money in what they were doing anymore, which means there were less people buying it.

The songs were THERE. Really, what you all have issue with is the production. You have differences of personal opinion of personal preferences. The music itself did not change. Gee. This kind of sounds like church and people bickering over what should and should not be done because of likes it and who doesn't, meanwhile the world views the self-serving inclusive club and wants nothing to do with it. WUC is the best sounding Petra record ever made. Sonics are superb.

I wish I could have you all over to my studio, and we could put up mixes from JDB, E brothers and WUC. Y'all would be shocked when we start looking at who has the best phase coherency, depth of stereo field, bass response, etc. Of course, Petra was trying to sound like Def Leppard, so we have to over look those drums, which is VERY hard. But all in all, WUC for me was like....FINALLY! YES!
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:30 pm

In the immortal words of Randy Jackson, "That's how you make a record right there!".
And WUC sounded awesome live. When I heard Petra live during the Beyond Belief period, it was quite sucktastic.
0 x