Just sayin'

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Just sayin'

Post by brent » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:27 pm

I am just really diggin BTTR and J&H (or JandH) right now.
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Re: Just sayin'

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:02 am

I love JEKYLL & HYDE. It's the album I'll play for people to show that Petra isn't "wimpy".

You know what I mean...a lot of people think Petra should be lumped in with Geoff Moore & The Distance, Russ Taff, Amy Grant, etc.

One listen to the title track or "Perfect World", and some people's minds are changed.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:33 pm

St_Augustines_Pears wrote: One listen to the title track or "Perfect World", and some people's minds are changed.
That's a great song! One of my favorites on the album.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:27 pm

"Life As We Know It" is probably one of Bob's greatest song writing feats.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:58 pm

St_Augustines_Pears wrote:I love JEKYLL & HYDE. It's the album I'll play for people to show that Petra isn't "wimpy".

You know what I mean...a lot of people think Petra should be lumped in with Geoff Moore & The Distance, Russ Taff, Amy Grant, etc.

One listen to the title track or "Perfect World", and some people's minds are changed.

I play Threads to show that Geoff Moore wasn't wimpy. For Petra I like to play Sight Unseen or Just a Matter of time.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:23 pm

I have already told Bob that Too Big is probably the best thing that he has done in a long time. It is just HIM. I think John S could have sung that one as well. Please, no wars over who is better. We all know Louie is the best singer :)
0 x

Tutor23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor23 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:09 am

Nicely played, Brent. ;)
Andy
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:18 am

I've said in the past that Too Big reminds me of material from WUC so yes, I would agree that either singer would work. In fact, it actually makes me think that Greg could have worked for some of the WUC songs.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Tutor23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor23 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:26 am

It is interesting how different we Petra fans' opinions can be about the band we love! E.g., I think "Too Big" is one of the *weakest songs* on the new CP album. In fact, I'd say it's one of the weaker ones in recent years. I think it sounds like something that would have fit better on Never Say Die 30 years ago.

Yet, some think it's one of the best.

I also think No Doubt was the best studio album Petra ever did. A lot of PetHeads disagree with me on this, but I am in good company (John Schlitt agrees with me ;).

My favorite thing about Petra has been their consistent, clear biblical messaging. That's what most sets their body of work apart and is one of the main reasons they had such a powerful impact. I am forever grateful for that!

Andy
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:47 pm

Tutor23 wrote:I think it sounds like something that would have fit better on Never Say Die 30 years ago.
Then it must fit well on the album then : wink :
0 x

Tutor23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor23 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:08 pm

Yes, you're exactly right, booray. :)

I will add that I agree with those of you who have said Volz sounds as good, if not better, on the CP album than he did several decades ago. I find that remarkable, considering he is over 60.

I like the CP versions of most of these songs. Especially, Angel of Light. It was almost certainly a wise choice for them not to have tinkered too much with their classic songs. (Don't forget "Double Take" - not such a good plan, there.)

Andy
0 x

Tutor23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor23 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:19 pm

[quote="Tutor23"]It is interesting how different we Petra fans' opinions can be about the band we love! E.g., I think "Too Big" is one of the *weakest songs* on the new CP album. In fact, I'd say it's one of the weaker ones in recent years. I think it sounds like something that would have fit better on Never Say Die 30 years ago.

I want to withdraw this statement. I had "Too Big" confused in my mind with "Back to the Rock." I listened to "Too Big" three times today, and it is a pretty darn good song. I don't like the chorus (which sounds "cheesy" musically), but lyrically the song is rock solid. And I do like most of the song musically. Especially the part where it says, "He stretched forth the heavens..." Powerful!

"Back the the Rock" isn't so hot. I'll stand by that. :(

Andy
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:37 am

I'm planning to use "Jekyll & Hyde" for an upcoming assignment in my specialized sign language interpreting class. It's actually a really visual song. Should be fun.
0 x