Classic Petra & FB

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
onyx
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Classic Petra & FB

Post by onyx » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:29 am

[quote="Well, well, ... I guess I really WAS.[/quote]

***In what way? Your implication that the members of CP are liars? I don't think they are. From the email Preacherman posted from Dean, it does sound like they are trying to learn to use social media. I'm looking forward to their posts if decide to make any. If not, I'm still enjoying hearing their news.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:59 am

onyx wrote:[quote="Well, well, ... I guess I really WAS.
***In what way? Your implication that the members of CP are liars? I don't think they are. From the email Preacherman posted from Dean, it does sound like they are trying to learn to use social media. I'm looking forward to their posts if decide to make any. If not, I'm still enjoying hearing their news.[/quote]

Uhm... I don't know what message board you are reading, but in Sue's message I only read that she was doubtful that the CP members were actually posting all those messages. And she was proved perfectly right, since all the messages up until now have been posted by Dean and if a band member will post anything they will denote that by using their initials.

So you're the one who apparently really wants to put words into Sue's mouth. She never said or implied that they were liars. She was correctly doubting the assumption that all the messages were posted by band members (which I did as well). So please, don't spoil the thread with these kinds of unnecessary and untrue remarks. Don't jump to conclusions too quickly. We've seen too much of that here.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:09 am

p-freak wrote:
onyx wrote:[quote="Well, well, ... I guess I really WAS.
***In what way? Your implication that the members of CP are liars? I don't think they are. From the email Preacherman posted from Dean, it does sound like they are trying to learn to use social media. I'm looking forward to their posts if decide to make any. If not, I'm still enjoying hearing their news.
Uhm... I don't know what message board you are reading, but in Sue's message I only read that she was doubtful that the CP members were actually posting all those messages. And she was proved perfectly right, since all the messages up until now have been posted by Dean and if a band member will post anything they will denote that by using their initials.

So you're the one who apparently really wants to put words into Sue's mouth. She never said or implied that they were liars. She was correctly doubting the assumption that all the messages were posted by band members (which I did as well). So please, don't spoil the thread with these kinds of unnecessary and untrue remarks. Don't jump to conclusions too quickly. We've seen too much of that here.[/quote]

True, very true.

Let's get back to the fact that finally someone that is official in Petra's Camp will be releasing info on fb and Twitter. Too me this looks like it will be used for all formations of Petra and not just CP.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:50 am

Yes, that is what can be confirmed. The messages posted thus far have come from Dean and Dean is acting per request of the band to run this page. Any messages that come from actual members of the band will have their initials. I agree that Sue did not say anything to indicate that anybody was lying. She just questioned whether any member of the band was actually making the posts we have seen so far. The good news of course is that we once again have a resource for official information.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:45 am

With permission from Dean, I'm going to share a bit of conversation that I had with him today. I feel that what he had to say will help clear up some things for us and also represents an excellent perspective for the fans.
Me: I'm curious if you know if there is a goal of bringing all the information about Farewell Petra and Classic Petra under one camp? I have sort of gathered that impression from some of what has been said and of course I've noticed that Classic Petra FB is now making references to what Farewell Petra is doing as well.

Dean: I wouldn't say there is a 'goal' of doing so. I can only say that I personally believe it's a beneficial and respectful thing to work toward...and would pare down the number of folks who are flat-out confused!

Me: So, just to clarify then, you have only been asked to help distribute information on "Classic Petra" and we should not expect to see otherwise, unless told otherwise?

Dean: Am acting solely at the request of the members of Classic Petra.

In so doing, I don't share the view that there should always be an unnatural 'partition' between the two. Both line-ups share the same lineage, the store at petramerchandise.com... Farewell has a show today, etc.

There are instances where the two line-ups have obvious common interests, and I believe it's proper to highlight such as appropriate, esp. where both line-ups are active. That said, what I have been asked to do is indeed focused on the Classic Petra incarnation.

There are, of course, 'camps' of fans. That's natural with a band that goes back decades. However, I do not believe it's sound for the 'Petra family' to perpetuate that. If both are active, a sense of fraternity - even informal - benefits everyone.

That's not to say it's a policy decision, or that every item that is say Classic or Farewell is to be cross-promoted. Not the case. But simple things like dates and so on - strike me as common ground and common sense.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:21 pm

Dean just mentioned in a post that the ClassicPetra.com website will be re-designed shortly.

He also said that there will definitely be another album, but that they are trying to decide wether to make BTTR Vol2, All New Material or Both.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks, p-freak. You got my back! ;-)

I remember when the Petra FB page http://www.facebook.com/Petraband started gaining followers, and everyone thought it was someone from Petra posting. I knew it wasn't anyone from Petra (at that time Petra nor Classic Petra wasn't active) and I said so. Boy, I caught crap here from people for being 'negative' and whatever else.... So I did a little investigating and digging and it turned out that a 17-year-old kid made the page and was posting/administrating the site, making it look official - when it was not. He wasn't doing that on purpose -- or so he said.

I used to work in the newsroom at a newspaper -- so maybe I'm a bit more suspicious of 'the source' than your average Joe, plus the fact that I actually DO work with John & also Petra when they go out (like this Venezuelan date today) makes me even more suspicious.

I just want you all to realize that in this day of anonymous postings and emailings and whatever else, it's real easy to be taken in and fooled by someone you THINK is real -- only to find out later that they're not. Just be careful and check out your source.

Dean has stated who he is and what role he plays in the site - and that's great. Now there's no question and when the actual band members post - you'll know just who is posting.

On another note -- I really don't see why people are confused! There's PETRA -- and there's CLASSIC PETRA. Different line-ups, different websites... It's not hard.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:57 pm

WAIT A MINUTE! Sue, are you saying that Classic Petra is one band, and Petra is another band, and even though both members share one musician, they are two bands, with two different managers (only one of them has a manager I suppose), and they play separate dates, and have separate web sites and social media pages? I don't get it. Shouldn't they all be the same thing? Why can't John answer questions about Classic Petra on his Facebook and Greg answer questions about Petra on his Facebook? I don't get it.

Sorry for the sarcasm. That apology was sarcastic too. :)
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:12 pm

brent wrote:WAIT A MINUTE! Sue, are you saying that Classic Petra is one band, and Petra is another band, and even though both members share one musician, they are two bands, with two different managers (only one of them has a manager I suppose), and they play separate dates, and have separate web sites and social media pages? I don't get it. Shouldn't they all be the same thing? Why can't John answer questions about Classic Petra on his Facebook and Greg answer questions about Petra on his Facebook? I don't get it.

Sorry for the sarcasm. That apology was sarcastic too. :)
In the legal sense they are; that might be the reason Bob wants to keep them separate.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Obviously, they are two separate bands, but I don't think we need to be mocking the concern expressed that some might be confused. I have noticed people on the Classic Petra FB page asking questions like why isn't John involved or why aren't other members from different eras of the band involved. So, there does seem to be some confusion. Most likely not among the die hard fans, but certainly among the more casual ones. None the less, the idea that all carnations of Petra share certain common things and therefore, at least in the marco sense, there should be a common sense of family and support for all things Petra, I believe, is good one.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Well, I understand some people are not able to see the obvious, or may have missed what Greg said before Classic Petra really hit. It was about him and the old line-up. Petra has never included Greg or the old line-up in total for a tour or record. So it only stands to reason that John would not be involved. The word Classic has never been used before. It is obvious, knowing what we know, that "CLASSIC" with Volz as lead singer leaves no room for another singer from another line-up. If anything people should be asking why Classic does not include singers before Greg.

I never doubted for a minute that some thin-skinned people would be bent out of shape by my tongue-in-cheek post. After all, this thepetrazone.com, where logic and reasoning are often in short supply.

To me, it makes sense to keep it all apart. The only common thread is Bob. Besides, if one version does something stupid or fails to succeed, it keeps the other version unmarked, and eliminates the surviving version from having to put out fires or re-invent the ministry.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm not being thin skinned nor am I bent out of shape. I just think things around here would go a lot better if we were all a little more respectful to each other. I hope you can appreciate the logic and reasoning of that. That's why I appreciated much of what Dean had to say.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:04 pm

brent wrote: Petra has never included Greg or the old line-up in total for a tour or record. So it only stands to reason that John would not be involved. .
except Greg was in Petra before John. The whole thing is a little hard to follow. Greg was in Petra before John. Now Classic Petra is a completely different band than Petra with John(who retired in 2005 but continues to put on shows). Classic Petra has Greg and Bob as well as three other former members of Petra but they aren't the same band? And current Petra has a couple guys that were never really members of the bans yet they are still Petra and Classic Petra with their members are not really Petra? Tired I am.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Where Bob is, there you have Petra. A rose by any other name. That's always pretty much settled it for me.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:49 pm

Ah, Brent - the Sarcastic Master. You're humor is not lost on me. ;-)

And current Petra has a couple guys that were never really members of the bans

Seriously? Who would those "couple members" be?

We have John... Bob.... Greg.... Cristian. Seems like I count ONE, unless you think the others were not real band members.
0 x