Bob confirms it: Petra WILL retire this year

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Tue May 10, 2005 10:24 am

after all, that same "corrupt CCM industry" was the one that financed the rise of Petra to the prominence they once had.
Very good point, MJ. There's good & bad in everything.

While Petra is retiring, John is NOT! He will still be available for concerts, men's groups, speaking engagements, wherever God leads.... he will not be put out to pasture.

If you still want to hear those Petra songs live - you CAN in a solo concert. The Voice of Petra will go on.
0 x

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Post by winterlens » Tue May 10, 2005 11:05 am

Yes, but will we get a new solo record? :-P
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

Kaiser
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Kaiser » Tue May 10, 2005 11:11 am

:( Please someone tell me this is all a dream!!
0 x

WR1U
Pethead
Pethead

Post by WR1U » Tue May 10, 2005 11:59 am

Hey sue, is John still going to tour on his own?
0 x
Down the corridor or life in between our death and birth
We may start to lose our way in the search to find our worth
Our value comes in the fact we live
Life is a gift only God can give

crossways
Pethead
Pethead

Post by crossways » Tue May 10, 2005 1:17 pm

:cry:

I'm just numb. As a kid who moved around because of the military, Petra was a true constant thing in my life. When I didn't have "friends" to talk to I would put on a Petra tape - crank it - and rock out.

I just wish I could see them one more time....maybe.

I thank them for their ministry. I credit them for my love of music and my ministry in church and with my band. I credit them for having such Scripturally strong lyrics that to this day I can't hear some passages without their music penetrating my mind.

Oh I just hate it!

But as Sue d. reminded us the bible says there is a time for EVERY purpose under heaven.

Well CCM is changing just like life. I do wish there were more formats, but everything costs money.

I hope that maybe Bob and John will develop some bands. You know, give them some direction and get some more good lyrically challenging and rocking music out.
0 x
I KNOW my Redeemer lives!
- Job
www.crimsontruth.com/Forum.htm
www.crimsontruth.com

Corval
Pethead
Pethead

Hi

Post by Corval » Tue May 10, 2005 1:32 pm

I am very sad cause they heve influenced my life.

But it is time to PETRA stops...

I GOD wants...

Lets pray for them

It is a pitty that will not have any live album to remember them.

GOD BLESS

Artur
0 x
Be happy

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Tue May 10, 2005 1:33 pm

Yes, but will we get a new solo record?
I'm sure you will. There's been a lot of work put into it already. It's pretty much done, save for a few songs still needed.
Hey sue, is John still going to tour on his own?
I'm not sure on that yet... To tour (as in a self-contained tour, complete with sounds & lights), you need tour SUPPORT.

If there are churches, festivals, and whatnot out there that want John, he will certainly go and perform. But to say an all-out traveling tour... lots of factors are involved with that decision. I don't know at this point.

While Petra's visible purpose on stage may be over, John's purpose, musically, will continue in one form or another. There's a lot of flexibility flying solo.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Tue May 10, 2005 1:33 pm

I feel like I've had the worst day of my life. This ministry means so much to me, and has helped me thru some of the darkest hours of my life. I am still as shocked now as I was this morning when I read it for the first time. I praise God for Petra and the blessing that it has been for me for over 25 years. I really don't now what else to say, but Thanks for everything PETRA
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

SkyCaptain
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by SkyCaptain » Tue May 10, 2005 2:00 pm

Wow, this came as a bad surprise. I feel fortunate that I'm going to get to see them at the end of this month.

A big thank you to the past and present members of Petra. God bless you in all your new endeavors. When you get to Heaven, you'll know how many lives you've touched over the years.

Mark
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Tue May 10, 2005 2:49 pm

Given the news of Petra's retirement today, I found this headline to be particularly offensive:

Stones Announce New World Tour
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

ctwomn
Pethead
Pethead

well

Post by ctwomn » Tue May 10, 2005 3:10 pm

:(:)In a way I am happy for them and in a way...sad! Ofcourse many of you know that they are the reason I have been involved in music and also the reason I have a beautiful (pethead) family! I really have so much to be thankful for due to their ministry. The thing that I have a hard time with is that I will never be able to repay them for all of that...maybe one day in heaven! :)

I just hope that some one in ccm will give them the exit they deserve...atleast pay tribute in some way for the massive impact the had on that very industry! That is the whole irony to me...the fact that ccm has a hard time recognizing them and the fact that they really bumped ccm's popularity back in the day! It stinks!

John and Bob are so gifted....I am sure that they will continue ministering in some capacity.

Whatever you all do...do not quit posting on the zone....We are still like family here and I would hate to everyone leave becasue of this.
0 x
http://www.guidetopetra.com
http://www.johnschlitt.net
http://www.petratulsa.org

petrarocksA2
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrarocksA2 » Tue May 10, 2005 3:33 pm

I have been depressed all day since the announcement. Hopefully this site won't shut down. We are all like family. LONG LIVE PETRA!!!!
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue May 10, 2005 3:34 pm

It had to happen one day guys...I'm sad too but trust me, life will go on. I would hope we would want to keep in touch and keep posting even if Petra's calling it quits...I don't see any reason not to. I love Petra, but they haven't been the only reason I've posted here as much as I do love them. I think we can manage to find stuff to post about.

And oh, phooey, Bridget, you would have to see the announcement about the Stones tour. :P
0 x

joe
Pethead
Pethead

Post by joe » Tue May 10, 2005 3:48 pm

:( It`s finished, congratulations for everyone that play since 1972 in this ministry called PETRA, God bless every men and hands.
0 x
stand in the gap

String
Pethead
Pethead

Post by String » Tue May 10, 2005 3:55 pm

First of all, please don't take offense to this Josh. I respect you very highly, I hope you know that.

Why is this being published before the official statement at Petraband.com? I see ChristianRock.net has announced it already based on Josh's website. I just find that kind of odd....unless Bob or John said to go with it. I am surprised that ChristianRock.net has announced it before the official announcement.

If Christ intervenes and sees fit for the band to continue (wishful thinking) before Thursday, there is going to be some egg on some people's faces.
Last edited by String on Tue May 10, 2005 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Never perfect, but perfectly forgiven!!