Petra in the Studio today

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Petra in the Studio today

Post by executioner » Sun May 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Anton wrote:either the song's changed name or they scrapped "Still Thirsty" in the end and went with a new song "Holy Are You Lord".

Also the song list has changed slightly.
http://www.chordant.com/products/print.aspx?iid=1990885

interestingly this collection doesnt seem to contain any Greg X Volz written songs all of sudden (as opposed to the 2CD Ultimate Collection 2006).

Oh and also - the release date has been pushed back to July 30

I could be wrong be some things don't seem right on several fronts; change of song & Star Song being involved is two of them. I'm hoping this info is not another one of Star Songs "greatest hits" items that seem to come out every time Petra decides to put out "new Official material"
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon May 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Anton wrote: We've got the scoop before Sue this time :)
Hehehe... no, you didn't. I know about it but running John's Kickstarter campaign was a bit more pressing. THOSE tunes will definitely not be the same as you've heard before...!
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon May 27, 2013 11:07 pm

sue d. wrote:
Hehehe... no, you didn't. I know about it but running John's Kickstarter campaign was a bit more pressing. THOSE tunes will definitely not be the same as you've heard before...!
So did they scrap Still Thirsty or did they re-title it? Or do we maybe get more than just this 40th Anniversary album?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue May 28, 2013 7:42 am

sue d. wrote:

What do you mean by "THOSE tunes"? Reading between the lines would make me think that there is some rerecorded material on this album....
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Tue May 28, 2013 9:57 am

I think Sue was referring to John's Kickstarter project.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Tue May 28, 2013 10:38 am

Right. I was meaning that John's Christmas Project will contain songs that you've not heard him do before. They'll be 'new' in that respect.

Petra's song is now reworked & retitled "Holy Is Your Name," and per Capitol's direction, will be on a compilation album. Actually, the comps have been selling quite well. But who knows - if this CD goes well, perhaps Capitol may want to look into a full NEW album... you just never know....
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue May 28, 2013 10:50 am

sue d. wrote:Right. I was meaning that John's Christmas Project will contain songs that you've not heard him do before. They'll be 'new' in that respect.

Petra's song is now reworked & retitled "Holy Is Your Name," and per Capitol's direction, will be on a compilation album. Actually, the comps have been selling quite well. But who knows - if this CD goes well, perhaps Capitol may want to look into a full NEW album... you just never know....

Thanks for clearing it up; I'm trying to convince all diehard Petra fans to buy the whole album, because I'm thinking like you are and seeing the benefit of another album if this sells well.
BTW I'm so ready for that Christmas album done John Schlitt style...
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Tue May 28, 2013 11:52 am

Sue, are you able to tell us whether this new song is a rock song or a ballady P&W song?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue May 28, 2013 12:20 pm

I thought I posted a reply. Forgive me if someone removed it for me. But here we go again:

Disclaimer. I am not the fan that runs out and buys every little thing someone decides to sell with the Petra name on it. I am not a big comp buyer. To me it makes more sense to purchase discs from the guys themselves, at shows, etc. I do not buy remastered stuff, because most of it sound terrible. Without the original masters, they are using copies of copies of copies, over compressing and adding too much EQ to make it sound louder. Since the average human thinks whatever is brighter and louder is better, some people buy it.

1. I don't see the logic in releasing another comp when historically Petra management and band have complained about them. The comps were doing more harm than good, confusing the consumer. Consumers thought the band currently sounded like the old stuff.
2. For me personally, I will not spend $15 to hear one new song. I would spend $15 to hear 10 new songs. Heck, at this point, I would pay $30 to hear 15 kickbutt new songs. They had better be REALLY good songs. Seeing how J&H was just a warm up for what was to come post 2005....I am betting Bob has it in him. Judging by John's latest record, I know he has it in him.
3. If I believed in a band enough to give them a distribution deal for a comp and a new tune, I think I would believe people would be buying it. If I were a forward thinker, I would put out at least an EP.

If someone I know can't afford the discs, I might buy it for them, just so they have some Petra music and I can hear the new tune.
Last edited by brent on Tue May 28, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Tue May 28, 2013 12:42 pm

0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed May 29, 2013 8:12 am

Matthew RJ wrote:Again I really hope I can buy just the single.

So by this you are basically saying that a full length all new material album is really not too important for you? If this doesn't sell we won't get a new album.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed May 29, 2013 8:36 am

executioner wrote:

So by this you are basically saying that a full length all new material album is really not too important for you? If this doesn't sell we won't get a new album.
So the new label wants to hold the new album hostage? Classic. Hey. Here is a 1978 Camero with new rims. Buy this one and we might sell you a 2014 for the same money next year. No thanks.

If the label thought they had a chance with a new record, they would do it now. How. Many comp records are out there now. Lets count.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Wed May 29, 2013 9:33 am

Petra has 21 English studio albums, 2 Spanish studio albums and 4 live albums. This will be compilation no. 14, so for every 3 studio albums there are 2 compilation albums. And then I'm not counting the two re-issues of The Early Years.

I'll buy the whole album anyway, and probably the single on iTunes/digital, just to get to hear it right away. Just wondering why Bob let himself be convinced to compile another 'Ultimate Collection' style album.
0 x

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:35 am

brent wrote:
executioner wrote:

So the new label wants to hold the new album hostage? Classic. Hey. Here is a 1978 Camero with new rims. Buy this one and we might sell you a 2014 for the same money next year. No thanks.

If the label thought they had a chance with a new record, they would do it now. How. Many comp records are out there now. Lets count.
I agree Brent, I dont like comps, except if it is from an artist that I may be interested in but never heard any of their music before. Comps have their time and place but not for longtime fans of the band. When I was a relatively new fan of Petra I bought Still Means War when it came out and it introduced me to some of the tunes on the records that I had not bought from them yet.

I remember a Phil Keaggy comp I bought in Nashville and it introduced me to some of his solo stuff, and I had already became a fan of his prog rock band Glass Harp through another comp album of classic Christian rock music. So from experience I can say that comps are good for newbies.

I am also not one of those people who buy everything with Petra's name on it. I dont do that with any other favorite band or artist either.
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 am

p-freak wrote:Petra has 21 English studio albums, 2 Spanish studio albums and 4 live albums. This will be compilation no. 14, so for every 3 studio albums there are 2 compilation albums. And then I'm not counting the two re-issues of The Early Years.

I'll buy the whole album anyway, and probably the single on iTunes/digital, just to get to hear it right away. Just wondering why Bob let himself be convinced to compile another 'Ultimate Collection' style album.
I think Bob wants to make more music and he found this could be an avenue to get it done.
0 x