Petra New Project?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Petra New Project?

Post by HudsonPethead » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:32 am

Stephen Yake posted this photo and a video with Dream Team on Facebook yesterday.
It seems to be something new. Does anyone know what this is about?

Video:
https://www.facebook.com/stephen.yake/p ... 5853722533
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

brenthandy
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Petra New Project?

Post by brenthandy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:35 pm

I don't know for sure but I think it is a retrospective.
2 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:18 am

I would be really surprised if it was something big leadling to a reunion or anything like that.

I think it is unlikely that these five guys would start touring together again. If that unlikely scenario turns into reality it would take a lot more than that for it to turn into something that would be a succes. It would take a lot of promotion (only very few of their previous fans even care about them these days) and it would take a lot of money to bring it to a scale where it would be as good and impressive as we remember it.

For those of us posting here, the Petra-brand still has some value but I guess most of us are here despite what happened from Bob left til he came back. For many faithful fans those years involved one disappointment after another until they simply had no interest in who was in Petra, whether they toured or not, which new unknown keyboard player replaced another unknown rather new keyboard player and the like. They would need to restore the brand for all those who are not die hard fans. Not an easy thing to do. Understanding what happened to the brand while Bob was not touring is, in my opinion, the key to understanding why it was not a huge succes when he returned. Fans had stopped caring about the band long ago by that time. Many people I know who used to be fans no longer care a tiny bit. They may listen to the old records now and then and that is it.

Something along the lines of the dream team (as many as possible and Bob and John would have to be a part of it) is their last chance of succes in my opinion. But I find it unlikely to happen and even if it does, no succes is guaranteed.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:11 am

I think I would agree with Brent in it being some type of retrospective on the band during those years, but I will say I've heard the Stephen Yake has said he has some pretty big financial backing into doing something people wouldn't expect, so who knows.
1 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brenthandy
Pethead
Pethead

Post by brenthandy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:01 pm

Perhaps a Gaither type thing with music.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:44 pm

That would be amazing and about the best possible thing we could hope for at this point.
1 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:52 am

Perhaps something to do with the announced shows in Petra, Jordan?

Pure speculation, I don't know more than anyone here.
1 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:27 pm

This was recorded today, they had a meeting about proposed documentary about the Dream Team era. I for one am pleased for this.
https://anchor.fm/chris-pugh6/episodes/ ... itt-eu9du7
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:46 pm

I agree with what was said earlier, that a big comeback reunion and tour is unlikely. Still, I'd love a new album even if they didn't do a single show. Getting a new album to market is cheaper than ever these days, so it's possible, and they might even make a little profit.

Whatever they do, I think they should do it and then retire the Petra name for good instead of letting it linger on and on until it eventually fades into complete obscurity.
1 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:32 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:46 pm
I agree with what was said earlier, that a big comeback reunion and tour is unlikely. Still, I'd love a new album even if they didn't do a single show. Getting a new album to market is cheaper than ever these days, so it's possible, and they might even make a little profit.

Whatever they do, I think they should do it and then retire the Petra name for good instead of letting it linger on and on until it eventually fades into complete obscurity.

I'd love a new album, ep, or even a single. So long as it sounds like classic Petra, and not something like revival
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

brenthandy
Pethead
Pethead

Post by brenthandy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:35 am

Doing an album just doesn't make any economic sense at all. Lots of artists are sitting on albums because of COVID, because streaming does not pay, and artists can't recoup without touring. Petra could not do a real tour now or after COVID. They would be doing one-offs at best. Rehearsing for a few shows is not economically viable because of they are all so spread out. Someone would have to pay them enough money to offset all of their other work and side work, in addition to covering all of the production costs. It's just not going to happen without an angel investor.

Let's say someone dropped the bread for a recording, how does the band satisfy everyone? How do they win without making someone mad? Do they do new music that won't match the original in impact because we are all older and less impressionable? These are different times. They are all in different places in their lives. They are no longer competing for stage and air space. The world accepts their music now. The dynamics have totally changed. So, do we really give a dime to the monkey and make him dance? How do they play new music emulating the old vibe, without sounding dated or being so different that it doesn't meet expectations? I submit an item marked CPR into evidence.

Thoughts?
1 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:05 pm

brenthandy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:35 am
I submit an item marked CPR into evidence.

Thoughts?
Objection, counsel is leading the witness.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:53 pm

brenthandy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:35 am
I submit an item marked CPR into evidence.

Thoughts?
The problem with the CPR release is that it wasn't new music, it was old music being rerecorded with a vibe that I personally found strange. Rather than just cranking out remakes of classic tunes (like the more popular and successful "Back to the Rock"), they tried to update the songs, make them sound more "modern", which never ends well.

For an example of how to do it right, look at The Union of Sinners and Saints, or for that matter, how about John Schlitt's solo career?
0 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1981

Post by Progfan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:54 pm

I wish they would record and release new material. Get it out there on Bandcamp. Union... is on there. Many artists have been using COVID era to get material recorded. Of course it would also be great if they could make the entire back catalogue available as high quality downloads. Too many rights issues to overcome I guess. But I do like what Phil Keaggy has done with his material on Bandcamp. At least he has the classic recordings available where he is the rights holder.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:02 am

I have trouble believing there are no high-quality live recordings from the Dream Team era. Surely there are enough that they could put together a "Best of the Best" live compilation album from the hundreds of concerts they did from "Back to the Street" to "Wake Up Call".
1 x