Rock Medley

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Pethead1
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Rock Medley

Post by Pethead1 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:58 pm

The DVD is not right. Many times in the Rock Medley you can here John siinging but his mouth is behind. I thought I saw this early but it is like soooooooo obvious here.

I think Petra deserves much better.
0 x
Those asleep will be awakened
Not a one will be forsaken.

Kaiser
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Kaiser » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:08 pm

:? I also read the same thing on another post, but I also have a question? Does anyone know if it is a DVD player doing that and not the DVD? I have 2 DVD's players at home one which is high end and the other is $50 dvd player. I have played several DVD's and I have found out that on the high end DVD player everything works fine, but when I play the same DVD on $50 DVD player the mouth and the words don't match up. Does anyone else have the same experience?
0 x

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Epyon5757 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:32 pm

I experience the same thing. I have a low-end DVD player by Cyberhome that's about 18 months old where the sound is always just a bit off, including action scenes.

However, on my Sony DVD player, which is about 3 1/2 years old, I have no such problems (with one exception on a TV series I own where one episode is off, but none of the other episodes are off).

There is one other difference - the low-end DVD player is connected using standard (read: cheap) connections - the red, white, and yellow version, while my sony player is hooked up using component video inputs instead of standard RCA inputs. I wonder if this makes a difference in terms of sound...

Since I will be unable to obtain the Farewell DVD until I get off work tonight and head home, I will be unable to comment if I have the same issues until tomorrow.
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

I noticed it too...

Post by superfly » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:51 pm

I don't know that the issue this time is your DVD player because I noticed it too yet my live Aerosmith DVD (You Gotta Move) is all in sync. I was a little disappointed to see that too because I don't want to show that to someone else. Luckily it's only just in bits here and there, but enough to make you think you're watching a music video.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:39 pm

Kaiser wrote::? I also read the same thing on another post, but I also have a question? Does anyone know if it is a DVD player doing that and not the DVD? I have 2 DVD's players at home one which is high end and the other is $50 dvd player. I have played several DVD's and I have found out that on the high end DVD player everything works fine, but when I play the same DVD on $50 DVD player the mouth and the words don't match up. Does anyone else have the same experience?
No, players do not alter the sync of the audio and the video. Players CAN alter the speed, via a crappy digital clock, that makes the digital to analog convertors happen, etc. When the image is burned on the master, that master is read by a reader at the plant, error correction is applied, a negative casting is made, and then a big blob of warm plastic is smashed onto a disc with a dye. In movies, you are not talking about the same resolution or ratio. So, some things will seem off from time to time because of the scale. In the theater the images are usually dead on.

With digital audio, it is hard to sync digital, sampled at 24-bit word lengths, 44,100, 48,000 or higher times a second, when the video time code is 24, 25, 29.97, and 30 frames per second. Something is going to get off at some point. ALWAYS.

It is obvious that the best audio version of a song does not match the best video image. That is all that happened. Welcome to the real world folks. Most bands can't play their own material live period. So Petra took a couple of shots at it and the video doesn't match. It's Petra, it's $8.50 (on line), and it was done extremely cheap.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:02 pm

brent wrote:
Kaiser wrote::? I also read the same thing on another post, but I also have a question? Does anyone know if it is a DVD player doing that and not the DVD? I have 2 DVD's players at home one which is high end and the other is $50 dvd player. I have played several DVD's and I have found out that on the high end DVD player everything works fine, but when I play the same DVD on $50 DVD player the mouth and the words don't match up. Does anyone else have the same experience?
No, players do not alter the sync of the audio and the video. Players CAN alter the speed, via a crappy digital clock, that makes the digital to analog convertors happen, etc. When the image is burned on the master, that master is read by a reader at the plant, error correction is applied, a negative casting is made, and then a big blob of warm plastic is smashed onto a disc with a dye. In movies, you are not talking about the same resolution or ratio. So, some things will seem off from time to time because of the scale. In the theater the images are usually dead on.

With digital audio, it is hard to sync digital, sampled at 24-bit word lengths, 44,100, 48,000 or higher times a second, when the video time code is 24, 25, 29.97, and 30 frames per second. Something is going to get off at some point. ALWAYS.

It is obvious that the best audio version of a song does not match the best video image. That is all that happened. Welcome to the real world folks. Most bands can't play their own material live period. So Petra took a couple of shots at it and the video doesn't match. It's Petra, it's $8.50 (on line), and it was done extremely cheap.
The last sentence is rather embrassing too me. It is REAL obvious that the video is not matching up. I'm sorry but this should be unacceptable to any artist big or small.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:24 pm

The occassional slip of time is unavoidable. But, if it were me producing, I would have gone to a crowd shot, or someother clip rather than letting something obvious go out with my name on it. I have kids in my youth department at church that crank out broadcast quality productions. They would not let that get past them.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:29 pm

It's one of those weird technical things that unfortunately could be a result of many factors. For example alot of television series box sets have this problem with the audio not synching. In that case it goes all the way back to the authoring process. Some DVD players have trouble interpreting certain bits that get set during the audio process.

It all has to do with the difference in timings between a TV and the original source. Alot of DVD's do not play ALL of the frames but usually double up the frames from time to time to keep everything in sync. If I remember progressive scan is supposed to get around this problem.

One would think at the very least inpop would have tried to get this right. All my other "christian" concerts on DVD do not seem to have this problem. Sounds like someone may have been asleep at the wheel. But I cannot say much more on it until I get the concert.

Seems to me this would not be a problem if original audio (with no tinkering) was used. The same probem exists with normal camera footage (you know, talking heads) so my question would be do the lips seem to be in sync during the interviews.

I ran into a problem a month or so when converting my VHS tapes to DVD the audio was out of synch. Turned out to be a bug in the authoring software I was using and was corrected with an upgrade. :lol:
0 x