Petra: Recording 21st album this year?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
PetraFan007
Pethead
Pethead

Petra: Recording 21st album this year?

Post by PetraFan007 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:13 pm

Do you guys think Petra should or will record a new album this year? I hope they do. I hope it is has this really classic rock vibe with modern riffs and drums, and some keyboard fills and stuff...kinda like White Hearts early 90s stuff. That'd rock. Even if it's their last album ever, it'd be worth it. And make it a little longer, with some extended solos and some great rockin' out, 2 minute endings to a song. Heck yeah. :-D
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:20 pm

I have wondered that also. But if they do record this year, it won't be their last. I don't think they will stop for quite a while.

I would like to see their next album be a likeness of J&H, except I want there to be guitar leads and LOTS of them. I get so disappointed when there are NO guitar solos, and when they are it seems like they're a quick blurb and they're gone.

I know this 70s and 80s extended guitar solo style seems to be out of style today, but to me, it was a tremendous expression of talent, not just for the guitar players, but for the individual contributions as well.
0 x

Outcast4him
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Petra: Recording 21st album this year?

Post by Outcast4him » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:44 pm

PetraFan007 wrote:Do you guys think Petra should or will record a new album this year? I hope they do. I hope it is has this really classic rock vibe with modern riffs and drums, and some keyboard fills and stuff...kinda like White Hearts early 90s stuff. That'd rock. Even if it's their last album ever, it'd be worth it. And make it a little longer, with some extended solos and some great rockin' out, 2 minute endings to a song. Heck yeah. :-D
I'm with you Petrafan. I personally hope its different then J&H. I'd like to hear a classic 80's sounding feel to it. The only modern aspect of the record that I'd like to hear would be the lyrics.

Strong guitar solos , keyboard,bass,drums. They already have it on vocals.
0 x

Bill F
Pethead
Pethead

Not Yet!

Post by Bill F » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:38 pm

Personally, I don't think they've gone far enough on promoting J&H yet. It got better reviews from secular sources than CCM. In addition, I can't tell you how many people have asked about these guys after hearing my copy of J&H that don't normally listen to CCM. Especially Europeans. They love it. I'm going to Germany in February and I'm taking several copies with me.

I keep thinking about what happened with Mercy Me when someone called a secular station during an all request hour and started a second wave of popularity for that song. What if something was organized like that so people at least had a chance to hear something from J&H on secular stations. If it played once and died, then so be it.

If they did release a new one, I think it should be released in time for the Christmas season but not another August release.
0 x

BillDD
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BillDD » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:24 pm

I keep thinking about what happened with Mercy Me when someone called a secular station during an all request hour and started a second wave of popularity for that song. What if something was organized like that so people at least had a chance to hear something from J&H on secular stations. If it played once and died, then so be it.

I would be very careful with that. Radio play for Revival was killed when someone posted a request on this zone to call radio stations that fans didn't even get and request Petra, fans were asked to call, even if it was long distance. That request was sent to radio stations and that pretty much ruined any radio play thta petra would have gotten.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:08 pm

I know this 70s and 80s extended guitar solo style seems to be out of style today, but to me, it was a tremendous expression of talent, not just for the guitar players, but for the individual contributions as well.
I've noticed the guitar solo is slowly being revived. More and more bands seem to be using it now.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Personally

Post by Jonathan » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:38 pm

I hope they go back in the studio, take some of their older songs (i.e. Judas' Kiss, This Means War), strip 'em down and add like strings and stuff. That would KILL.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

PetraFan007
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetraFan007 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:15 pm

ahahaha and call it "Second Look"???? Yes, good idea Jon!!

:twisted:
0 x

Kirkman
Pethead
Pethead

Re: ...

Post by Kirkman » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:21 pm

BillDD wrote:I would be very careful with that. Radio play for Revival was killed when someone posted a request on this zone to call radio stations that fans didn't even get and request Petra, fans were asked to call, even if it was long distance. That request was sent to radio stations and that pretty much ruined any radio play thta petra would have gotten.
I've never heard that before, though if it's true, I could understand it. Where did you hear it from?

--Josh
0 x
[url=http://petrarocksmyworld.com][img]http://www.petrarocksmyworld.com/ads/rocks_ban2.gif[/img][/url]
[b]Petra Rocks My World[/b] -- [i]a site for fans across the globe[/i]! With song lyrics, interviews, newsletter, messageboard, chat room, and more!

Bill F
Pethead
Pethead

Not What I Meant

Post by Bill F » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:10 pm

I know what BillD was referring to and, to be honest with you, I had trouble with that as well. For people to be contacting stations outside their listening area and to have it organized by the label is not cool. However, what I was referring to is fans doing it on their own in their listening areas.

Incidently BillyD, who was it that notified radio stations of that request? If it was you, shame on you. You're living your life to get revenge for something. If not, my apologies for suggesting the idea.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Hehe

Post by Shell » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:22 pm

Okay, I'll be good and keep my smart Scotch-Irish mouth shut, even though that was a good one Bill. :D :wink:
0 x

BillDD
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BillDD » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

I did not, a radio station director was the one who found out and sent out a FYI to the other stations. But, even if I did, why shame on me? Shouldn't the shame be the ones who lied and requested to hear a song on a station they knew they didn't get? Shouldn't the shame be on the person who made that request and asked fans to lie for petra? The station director did nothing wrong, he just passed along a request that showed just how far petra fans were willing to go, to the point of telling lies, for petra.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:40 pm

Valid point, but doing stuff to get revenge isn't right either, and you obviously have a problem with Petra and Petra fans. And this isn't the same Zone as when Revival came out, it's changed since then.
0 x

BillDD
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BillDD » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:47 pm

How has it changed? The person who made the request still posts here, it can't be that different.

It's easy for you to try and turn things around, but when a band has such a hold on fans that they are willing to lie for them, what does that tell you?
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:54 pm

BillDD, are you a lawyer? You're beginning to sound like one with the way you invert most everything that is posted on this site. If anyone says something positive about Petra, you are argue the opposite.
0 x