BAD NEWS FOR PETRA & THE GRAMMYS

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
theTRu
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Acoustic cover albums

Post by theTRu » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:20 am

Mountain Man wrote:Actually, there have been quite a few acoustic cover albums over the years (Christian and secular). Problem is, few of them are notable, like Double Take.
i'd like to point out that Furthermore: From the Stage and the Studio by Jars of Clay is more notable than Double Take...
but i did appreciate what Petra did with Double Take...

peace...
love...
bdg...
0 x
[url=http://www.TRudATmusic.com]peep the TRu[/url]

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:43 pm

Never did much care for Jars of Clay. I could give my reasons but it would probably turn this thread into a flame war.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

I'll start the fire

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:38 am

Five years ago we had the opportunity to see Jars Of Clay at 2nd Baptist in Houston, and it was a GREAT show. They really spoke alot about what God was doing in their lives and gave an altar call, and had a good response. I was so impressed with them that the next night we went to see them again, but this time at a mid size theater; Boy it was like 2 different artists. Instead of talking about the Bible and about what Jesus had done for them; they talked about love and peace, and how to be a good person in this world. Unlike the night before when they were talking about salvation and about living for Christ. Not one time did they say anything that lead someone to believe they were Christians. I was ashamed needless to say. I know that they could have been told by the theater not to talk in length about their faith, but I saw on that stage that night somebody that was two-faced, and I don't think it was pleasing to God or to me as a Christian.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Okay...

Post by Shell » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:04 pm

I'm probably gonna get roasted, and I know we've had similar discussions before. But I don't think the problem necessarily is their relationship with God so much as it is our tendency to expect musicians who are Christians (or Christian musicians, however you want to put it) to be superhuman and above what can happen to any of us, and then to be shocked when we discover they're not shining knights and are less than perfect. Are they really not doing what God wants, or are they just not living up to OUR sometimes rather unrealistic expectations?

It's not that I don't think there's a place to point out where someone is wrong, or that I don't think artists who claim to be following Jesus shouldn't be accountable. But we're too quick to condemn them for not being how WE think they should be and not quick enough to pray for them and ask God to do His work. Maybe THEY should be critical of US for being so judgmental and self-righteous; that is as wrong as anything they might be doing.

We're not victims folks; you don't have to listen to a band if you disagree with them.

I have my flame-proof suit on; bring on the barbeque. :D
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

shell

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:21 pm

Shell I see your point, but I basically saw 2 different artists those nights. In my mind it would have been better that there this way (the latter) under all concert venues. I see it that they bowed to the pressure to be a certain way in a different type of crowd from the night before, but of course I would have never known if we didn't go to both shows. :oops: Could the real JARS OF CLAY stand up!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Yeah...

Post by Shell » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:58 pm

I do understand what you're saying Exe; you have a valid point too. But it should be about what God wants, not about what the artist or anyone else might want.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:34 pm

Well, since executioner opened that can of worms, I must admit, I have not been at all impressed with the testimony of Jars of Clay. The few times I've seen them in concert, they just seemed so focused on themselves. The last time I saw them was at Alive 2003 which is a week long praise and worship camp featuring all the top Christian bands, and my wife also noticed the difference when Jars took the stage. They seemed to suck the worshipful atmosphere right out of the place and simply put on a show instead of leading the audience in worship like the other bands had done.

Now I'm not saying they're not Christians or that they're not trying to serve God, but I'm reminded of what Jesus said: "You will know them by their fruit."
0 x