If Petra was still around...

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
petrafreak2009
Pethead
Pethead

If Petra was still around...

Post by petrafreak2009 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:56 am

Which record label would you have liked to see them on? Feel free to give comments. You have SO many. You have Big3(with Stryper), InPop, Word(doubt it), Sparrow, Beach City, Columbia, Tooth & Nail, and maybe a revisit to Myrhh, John's own 4K label, etc..
Personally, I think Big3. That would put them on the same label as Stryper, as forementioned, and that have made an awesome to tour. Imagine, J&H with Stryper's Reborn! That would've been an awesome show.
0 x
[img]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/emjpro/EMJProductions.jpg[/img]

JMBJR72
Pethead
Pethead

Post by JMBJR72 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:22 am

I for inpop to much.I dont much about Big3.Word most of Petra popular albums are with.Sparrow dont fit well with Petra.Myrhh would interesting.John label would give them freedom.
I would like to add producer either John Lawry or Brown Bannister
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:22 am

I personally don't understood attempting to package Petra and Stryper. Reminds me of amazon.com saying "People who have purchased Petra have also purchased Amy Grant, Michael Card, or Dallas Holm."

Again, I say to you...

0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

petrafreak2009
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafreak2009 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:35 am

For everyone who HASN'T bought Reborn (the album) by Stryper, I implore you to. You'll love it when you compare it to Jekyll & Hyde. There are so many similarities. While J&H will definetly be your favorite of the two, it gives you an album to listen to go along with it. You can buy it at stryper.com by clicking on the Merch link and going to CD's or at Amazon.com.
0 x
[img]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/emjpro/EMJProductions.jpg[/img]

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:20 pm

I'd add Bill Glover on drums.

Oh, and have some dude paint a spaceship guitar on the new album.

I wish it was 1989.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:35 pm

This is how I read the original post:

Which record label (underfunded, money losing out-of-touch, brain dead group of has beens) would you have liked to see them on? Feel free to give comments. You have SO many. You have Big3 (which has done almost nothing for Stryper), InPop (who pretty much did nothing for Petra), Word (who definately did nothing for Petra), Sparrow (which is Sparrow in name only), Beach City, Columbia, Tooth & Nail, and maybe a revisit to Myrhh, John's own 4K label (his own dime), etc..

Big3's days are numbered aren't they? That's the gossip I heard. That's all it is.

Labels are darn near a thing of the past. IF Petra were still around, their only saving grace would have been to become a non-profit ministry, have some big dollar donors to guarantee their existance, and then do what they like to do with no pressure.

If labels have all of the answers to drive bands to success, then why aren't they successful with more acts? Why are they ALL going down the pooter? Why are they ALL freaking out about the future? Because the music business has not died. It is merely changing and changing the hands that it does business with. The old ways will work no longer. Thank God.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:29 pm

Now tell us what you REALLY feel about record labels, Brent! :wink:

It's changing, all right.

As one famous artist said (no, NOT John): You can have the BEST music, the most wonderful arrangements, but it's near impossible to get anyone to listen unless you do something to get people's attention, like go balistic and shoot someone.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:12 pm

Exactly. The reason that people still need a label to get in front of the right people on somebody elses dime.

It takes the same amount of money to network, market, advertise, distribute, play live, travel, do photo and video shoots, record, mix, edit, master, dress, for indies and signed artists. The difference is the access to money. If you have lots of money, you can compete. If you don't, you're screwed before you start and you had better get a label.

There are a handful of bands that have grown huge incomes and followings outside of the industry, in their own "bubble". They also started 20 years ago when the economy and music purchases were purchases and not stolen from the internet. I don't think we will see anyone doing what these bands did. The internet will see to that. The human condition will make up for the rest.

If John had 500k behind him, his record would not stay on the shelves and he would be booked solid. If John were secular (and younger), he could hang out with Ms. Spears, Ms. Hilton or Madonna and he would be in.
0 x

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:29 am

I think he'd be more of a hip cat if he were the Jonas Brothers' rockin' grampa.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:47 pm

I'm gonna SMACK you, Jonathan!!! lol!
0 x

got2btru
Pethead
Pethead

Bent's comments

Post by got2btru » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:25 pm

I think Brent's comments are accurate...and John has said as much in the past - "Christian" music today is more about the music, and less about the message or the ministry. But that's a parallel to the church today - more about the # of butts they can get into the pews (or auditoriums) vs. the spiritual depth of the individual congregation.

I'd rather have a church congregation of 100 that is spiritual mature than a church of 10,000 that is ankle deep spiritually.
0 x
"...it's His delight to give you your desire...it's His desire to set your life ON FIRE!"

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:25 am

Oh my gosh! I've not seen YOU around here in AGES!

Where ya been?!
0 x

got2btru
Pethead
Pethead

Long time...

Post by got2btru » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:48 pm

I mentioned to you about a year ago why I had been MIA....

When your daughter is assaulted & you have to spend $35k + going through legal proceedings that had drug on for 3+ years, it's taxing....and you don't have much time for anything else... :(

I was blessed though...during that time I re-married a wonderful woman.

Over the last year or so I've gotten a lot of the "ducks in a row" so to say & will be focusing back on the web site, http://www.petrameansrock.com again.

My daughter is now 11 (11 1/2 as I'm frequently reminded), and we continue to have issues with my ex-wife. My daughter says she wants to be with us full time again (she was for 2 years during a portion of the previous custody issues), but I don't have the resources to open things back up, so we're going to have to wait it out a couple more years & see how things go....keep me (us) in prayer....thanks! :D

Chris
aka Got2Btru
0 x
"...it's His delight to give you your desire...it's His desire to set your life ON FIRE!"

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:31 pm

I do remember you posting something about your issues with your ex-wife and that you were trying to get custody of your daughter, but it has been awhile. It seems longer than a year, but you would know more about that than I would. Time sure does slip by. I'm glad things are going somewhat better for you, although there are still problems with the ex that must be difficult to deal with.

God can use trials for good, although that can be hard to keep in mind when you're in the midst of a rough time. It just sad when hard times involve a child.
Last edited by Shell on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

got2btru
Pethead
Pethead

Long time...

Post by got2btru » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:38 pm

What I had said was that I mentioned to Sue about a year ago...the whole mess actually started about 4 years ago...it wound down last year...

You're right though...time does fly! :D
0 x