Favoutite album without the "Dream team"

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:54 am

Petra wasn't really playing heavy rock when they had Volz, therefore, his style hit what they were playing. During that era, Petra was pop/rock at its hardest.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:05 am

separateunion wrote:Petra wasn't really playing heavy rock when they had Volz, therefore, his style hit what they were playing. During that era, Petra was pop/rock at its hardest.
His voice fit on the WWT album and maybe a one or two songs off of each album, but that was it.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Greg

Post by Preacherman777 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:08 pm

That's just hogwash. Enough said.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:33 pm

Volz's voice is what put Petra on the map IMO. They had a completely unique sound. Their sound memorable! The first time that I saw them live, I thought that Greg was the coolest Christian singer I had heard. When he and Bob did the dual (his pipes vs. Bob's guitar) that was cool for that time.

I think Greg's most enviable trait it his ability to cut through a mix, and pack nice, tight, multitracked backing vocals. This is the reason I wanted him for PDC's Amen tune. Queen won't have anything on us when this is done.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:37 am

I know you all think I'm out in left field here, and I'm probably in the minority, but I know some Petra fans that was glad to see him go.
BTW I was not at all excited to see him at the Farewell taping; I would have rather seen Lawry, Cates, Kelly, Slick, and Weaver.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:38 am

With the Volz departure, Petra went from being an A/C band to a hard rock band. I'm sure at the time of the vocalist change, Petra lost as many fans as it gained. It's impossible to say if Petra would have been any less popular later on with Volz as the lead singer.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:04 am

My first thought when I heard "Back to the street" was: What has he done to his voice? Maybe singing too much on too many tours has ruined his voice ;)
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:18 am

separateunion wrote:With the Volz departure, Petra went from being an A/C band to a hard rock band. I'm sure at the time of the vocalist change, Petra lost as many fans as it gained. It's impossible to say if Petra would have been any less popular later on with Volz as the lead singer.
There was a paradigm shift in music and audiences. Older people were listening more in the beginning in my town and on the stations I worked for. The people listening were from the same age and experience as the band. When they went harder, there were younger listeners coming on board, and Christian music was hardening up as well. Prior to that era of Petra, Christian music did not have a whole lot to offer us compared to the secular markets.

Personally, I thought Petra was doomed when I heard BTTS. I could not believe the difference, and it was not living up to the hype. Immediately BTTS sounded like a continuation in the evolution of NOTW, written for Greg. I could hear Greg singing them all. When the next record came out, I was happier. That was an album for John.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Greg

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:59 pm

I've always felt the same way. BTTS sounded like it was written for Greg and sounded like a reasonable progression from NOTW. BTS was a bit of an anomaly, but I also hear elements of what they did on BTS in the BTTS album. They didn't really adjust to John's style until TMW and the adjustments were exactly what they needed to do at the time.

Rock music was a different animal in the Greg X Volz years and singers like Greg were far more common in rock music. Times have changed and so Greg probably doesn't sound like a rock singer anymore, but there was a time that many rock bands would have killed for a singer who could sing like that.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:54 pm

As far as I'm concerned, there were two "Dream Teams" in Petra's history:

Volz, Hartman, Slick, Kelly, Weaver

and

Schlitt, Hartman, Lawry, Cates, Weaver

So outside of albums featuring either of those line-ups, I'd have to go with Jekyll & Hyde as my favorite.
0 x