Night of Joy

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Corval
Pethead
Pethead

Hey!

Post by Corval » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:43 am

My friend be calm!

Jackie is the Brazilian Christian that helps PETRA A LOT IN BRAZIL!!!!
She has a great website and she helps Sue D. too, ok?

She speaks in portuguese directly to me, Ok? She ks for my ps graduation and about my life, ok?

Forgive her bu you do not need to be so sad.
Forgive her, Ok?
I cannot be a problem here.

Artur
0 x
Be happy

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafan » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:15 am

Lexington,
the gospel came to Brazil brought by english missionaries, and right away american missionaries. that's why most brazilian christians feel like they have this love debt with those countries and our christian brothers and sisters that live there.
we still have american missionaries here. i had the honour and pleasure to get to know many of them since i was a kid. 3 of them came to be my pastor and music pastor and youth group leader.
some of the american missionaries that come here for a long-term missionary work spend a couple years learning Portuguese not far from where i live. and still, when they're given their first chance for a public speech at church, some of them still make mistakes. i remember a female american missionary that was trying to explain to the church that she was an ordinary woman with an extraordinary mission. but the expression in Portuguese she used for "ordinary woman" is the same word we use here for "prostitute".
of course she didnt do that on purpose. and later she was very embarassed because of that. nobody judged her tough, as everybody knew she was still learning a new language and getting used to be inserted in a new culture.
i cant speak for Jackie. i know she probably shouldnt use the expression she used here. but you should remember she is just a brazilian girl that speaks english. she is probably not aware of all the junk that's contained in secular music and hollywood movies that certainly affect the way all of us that are not native english speakers talk.
so before judging her in such a hard way, bear all that in your mind.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

He.

Post by Shell » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:45 am

You must have missed the posts when we were playing around with John's name Lexington. :D

I'm sure Jackie didn't mean anything offensive. And she's right about Beat The System being a damn good album. :D :wink:
0 x

Corval
Pethead
Pethead

Hi

Post by Corval » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:59 am

jackie

I am missing you
What e-mail you use more?

i am sorry for mine missing..I am very busy!
Please..I need to talk with you

God bless, You
Shell
I am always praying for you
Youa re a greta friend!

Artur
0 x
Be happy

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:18 pm

Hey guys, lest I be misunderstood, I am simply pointing out that using this type of slang (an abbreviated word for taking the Lord's name in vain) is simply inappropriate in a forum like this one.

Prior to some of the latter posts, I didn't know anything about Jackie, so I can appreciate the fact that she may not be aware of all the slang that exists in the English language. I do want to be understanding about this.

From a grammatical standpoint, the slang was placed well in context, so a misunderstanding of words seems far less likely than having used bad judgement and a poor choice of words.

The process we go through to post messages gives us more than ample opportunity to proof what we have written before we click "submit".

So, although I do agree with you, Shell, that Beat The System is an INCREDIBLE album, I do think you're pushing the envelope to continue to use a phrase that is and should be offensive to the core group that uses this board. You can do better. :D
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:59 pm

I was being a bit of a smart mouth, Lexington, and I shouldn't have done that, I apologize. I do agree that we should watch our language, but to question someone's relationship with God based on one mildly (in my opinion) naughty word isn't fair. I think most everyone here loves the Lord.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:40 pm

I agree with you, Shell. We need not be so accusing as to jump to the conclusion that someone needs a close walk with God because they use a slang term.

You're right, Artur - Jac has been a great help in translating the Portuguese portions of the newsletters for jws.com and I appreciate all her hard work.

Whether her 'walk with God' needs help or not, I don't know - but please - let's cut everyone some slack.

What is viewed as offensive to some is a normal, appropriate phrase for another in another country (remember Elo, our 'Oh my Sam' discussion?) ;-)
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:23 pm

Sue, both you and Shell make great points.

I agree I sounded judgemental and used bad wording myself. I certainly am in no positon to judge anybody. We all have faults. God could point His finger at anyone in the world and no one would measure up.

I may be more sensitive to this than most because I have a distant family member who has for years nudged her way into ministry while using foul language in front of me and select others. I have a real problem with that.

It is great to have a place like this where Christians can discuss a common interest... PETRA... in a Christ-centrered environment.
0 x

Corval
Pethead
Pethead

Hi

Post by Corval » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:40 pm

Ok everything is ok, now

Jackie is ok
She is a blessing

Artur
0 x
Be happy

Jackie
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jackie » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:02 pm

ok, i'm sorry! i will try to behave myself next time...

i don't like religious ppl cos they're alwayz judging us... it looks like u r judging me cos of my language.

always say my mind but dont wrongly accuse someone: "ur not a christian cos of this or that." only GOD knows our hearts.

i sometimes have a hard time w/ religion cos it seems that it separates so many ppl. but at the same time if ppl followed their tenents of faith, i think everyone would get along.

i guess i'll just go n slash my wrist now then cry myself to sleep :lol ok, j/k!

i'm not the perfect christian but i'm trying to be one that's y i won't have words with u.

well, ur right, maybe i really need to have a close relationship with god...

jacqueline
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Yep.

Post by Shell » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:16 pm

I totally know where you're coming from, Jackie, I've had some issues with the "religious" establishment too, even though I understand religion isn't, or shouldn't be what it's all about. I grew up in a church that cared more about plopping their rears in Church on Sunday morning than they did about following the Bible, and they had such a lack of love and compassion for anyone they considered "different", it was hard for me to believe they considered themselves Christians. It was more like a social club than a real Christ-centered church. The Lord taught me through that experience that He's bigger than all that, and you can't put your faith in people, but still...Don't get me wrong, I do think church is important, but that's only a part of what being a Christian is about.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:35 pm

Jackie, I was being judgemental and made this personal, and I was wrong for doing that. I needed to be more understanding. I'm sorry.

Everyone, I do want to go back to my original point.

Basically, that with this being a public message board that anyone with a computer and internet service can access, we as Christians have an obligation to keep our conversation above reproach.

Especially when we have so much control over what gets submitted online.

I'm not talking about being legalistic or "religious" about certain things.

I think its fair to say that those who don't know Christ are watching what we do and what we say. Because our words are public record in this forum, we need to be especially careful.

I'm new to this board, so I don't know everyone's profile, where you're from, or your native languages yet. I would say that a lot of people who hit this board don't either.

So, while it's important to be understanding of what you read, it's equally important to be contientous of what you write.

I really didn't mean for this to get into a major discussion about legalism and rules.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Yeah.

Post by Shell » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:28 pm

You make some valid points, Lexington. And this discussion has actually been reasonably calm compared to some we've had. :D There's nothing wrong with having a discussion as long as it stays civil. :)
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:46 pm

I couldn't agree more, Shell.

Sounds like past discussions may have been a little hot!
0 x

Jackie
Pethead
Pethead

i'll be damned!

Post by Jackie » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:38 am

shell, u said it...i totally agree with u.

that helps to explain some things 2 me in a positive way; it's hard 2 mix different points of view in religion.

there r some "christians" that consider themselves better than others just coz they r alwayz at church praying or whatever. that's a pet peeve of mine. as i said b4, if ppl followed their tenets of faith, things would b better... so i think they should practice what they preach. i'm not only talking about christians but about all religions.

christ is not a religion n doctrines r often man-made traditions but as u said it's important to attend a church and we have to keep in mind that church is not a social club nor a night club.

i'm not a good christian but i try 2 b extra nice 2 everyone; i learned 2 get along w/ ppl n 2 respect them as well... all the same i'm not concerned about other ppl's opinion of me. i don't give a damn, it's not worth a damn (ooops!! :P )

i'm just expressing my thoughts, none of us is perfect.

lexingtonpethead, i know it's a public message board and we should not be talking trash but...

i duno how old u r or what ur responsabilities r... in fact, i don't even know if u r a male or a female; but there's something i want u 2 consider... u should think twice b4 rebuking ppl harshly, especially if u don't know anything about them. only god can make a right judgement.

what if u do the same to a sensitive person? probably he/she would get mad at u cos nobody likes 2 be judged... i bear no malice.

be ya not offended!

jac
0 x