Read the first review of the Farewell DVD

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:25 pm

Since they aren't going to give us the Drum Solo on DVD, will I be able to post the version I recorded on my phone? I thought since SO many people asked for it they would have put it on the DVD. Since everything was pre-set up, I can't see why the quality was not good enough.
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:55 pm

One thing to keep in mind with regard to length and "extras" is this: Adding extra footage or bonus features costs something. It's not free. You have to edit it, master it, etc. It's not a fast process, nor a cheap one.
Sorry, but that doesn't cut it because the so called "extras" we would have liked to have had were already taped. Jim Cooper himself said the drum solo would be on the DVD, so I imagine he was willing to put in the time to work on the DVD. It sounds like InPop put together the cheapest thing they could get away with. Using the EXACT audio from the CD meant they didn't have to deal with more on the DVD. As far as I am concerned InPop is singing "I am a C-H" but it ain't spelling CHRISTIAN. It is spelling CHEAP.

Yes, I suppose it beats a blank, but not by much. It doesn't take much imagination after all of the pictures posted on the net of the tour to see the concert in your mind while listening to the CD.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:32 am

Well me being a fan of petra and concert footage I'll probably eat it up anyways.

Time for a "Fan edited concert" :D ;) j/k

For some reason lately I've been inspired to take all my stuff on VHS and preserve it. Nothing fancy, but you just never know when a huge magnetic storm might pass by and erase it all. :lol: I put it off for a long time cause I hate working with video but non-the-less it has been going pretty smoothly.

My petra stuff is next on the list.

Before that I converted all my CD's, LP's, and cassette's into mp3/wav format. Although I'm still busy organizing it.

Anyways my initial reaction the release list was disappointment but after reading Bob's reasons I guess I can understand. But really, guys, it's a farewell concert. Put it ALL on there. A few years from now no one will care if you hit a bad note or two.. ;)
0 x

Petra Fan Canada
Pethead
Pethead

DVD

Post by Petra Fan Canada » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:55 am

This is a bit dated, but on most stops of the Farewell Tour they did "Show Your Power". It was a great ending (after the alter call), and a very spiritual song.

I really enjoyed this at the concert as it ended it as a worship experience. It's too bad they hadn't recorded that version for prosperity.
:cry:
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:06 am

I put it off for a long time cause I hate working with video but non-the-less it has been going pretty smoothly.
What are you converting it to? I have lots of Petra video also and would like to preserve it - are you burning to a DVD? Email me please: [email protected]
0 x

InpopShara
Pethead
Pethead

Post by InpopShara » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:32 am

Stop blaming Inpop. It wasn't just the label execs that signed off on this DVD or made stipulations about what could or could not be used for this project.

The best songs and features were used, and that is all. Call us cheap, but we did the best we could, and in the end, you're going to be able to buy a great DVD for between $8.99 and $12.99... So, I don't think that complaints are very justified.

For those of you who were interviewed for the DVD and were told you'd be getting an advance copy... the person who made you that promise no longer works at Inpop, therefore I have no names or addresses. I can't guarantee that you'll receive an advance copy, as we had only a very limited number made and they were serviced to the media; however, if you send me a PM with your name and address, I will try my best to get one to you.

Shara
0 x

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

shara

Post by epdc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:08 am

well, what can i say? people complain all the time!!!! :p, we are fans and we want everything to be perfect, just ignore us LOL.
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios

Kirkman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Kirkman » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:11 am

calicowriter wrote:Sorry, but that doesn't cut it because the so called "extras" we would have liked to have had were already taped.
Just because it's taped doesn't mean you just put it on the DVD. It has to be edited. They shot everything from multiple, roving angles. I'm an amateur video guy now, and one thing I've learned is that editing takes quite a bit of time. I'm sure using a professional editor and securing a pro editing bay is quite expensive. It probably didn't make financial sense to spend a ton of extra money editing a ton of new video and mastering new audio to add to the DVD.
Yes, I suppose it beats a blank, but not by much. It doesn't take much imagination after all of the pictures posted on the net of the tour to see the concert in your mind while listening to the CD.
Now this is pretty outrageous. You haven't even seen the DVD, so how can you say "it doesn't beat a blank by much"?

I wanted to see those extras as much as anyone. I was there at the concert and I enjoyed all those extra songs and moments. They would have added a lot to the DVD.

But the fact is even without that stuff, this is an excellent DVD, and I believe almost everyone will enjoy it. It will be a treasured part of Petra fans' collections for the rest of time. The only folks who will be disappointed are those of who were at the show and saw the stuff that wasn't included. And that isn't very many people.

I'd encourage folks to have a "Thankful Heart" that we are getting this DVD. It is a blessing!

--Josh
0 x
[url=http://petrarocksmyworld.com][img]http://www.petrarocksmyworld.com/ads/rocks_ban2.gif[/img][/url]
[b]Petra Rocks My World[/b] -- [i]a site for fans across the globe[/i]! With song lyrics, interviews, newsletter, messageboard, chat room, and more!

Kirkman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Kirkman » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:17 am

An important note... In my review, I accidentally left out a paragraph about the bonus rehearsal footage that is included as a special feature. So, I fixed the review and restored the text.

To answer the question about the DVD length, here's the breakdown (with rounded numbers):

Concert: 1 hour 2 mins
Band interview: 18 mins
Furler interview: 5 mins
Fan interviews: 16 mins
Rehearsal footage: 5 mins

And regarding easter eggs, I don't believe there are any. I searched everywhere with no luck, and Inpop indicated to me there wasn't anything.

--Josh
0 x
[url=http://petrarocksmyworld.com][img]http://www.petrarocksmyworld.com/ads/rocks_ban2.gif[/img][/url]
[b]Petra Rocks My World[/b] -- [i]a site for fans across the globe[/i]! With song lyrics, interviews, newsletter, messageboard, chat room, and more!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:32 am

I for one will be glad to have the DVD. Maybe we should focus a little more on that and a little less on complaining or having to place blame. What's done is done, it's rather late to do a whole lot about it anyway.

I know this is a discussion board, and we all have our opinions, but having to blame someone doesn't really accomplish anything, especially when it won't change anything. And the guys were the ones who chose to sign the record contract in the first place after all. :wink:
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

y

Post by executioner » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:47 am

I know i've been hard on Labels, but I will give kudos to Inpop for doing the CD/DVD. It is something I will hold close to my heart for a long time.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:01 pm

Personally, I'm thrilled about what's being included on the DVD. My only hang-up is that if the quality of editing is as bad as what we saw in the preview--and based on Josh's review, it sounds like it is--it's going to drive me bonkers.

Personally, I blame MTV and U2 from their Achtung Baby days. It used to be that music videos were meant to show the band, but then U2 had this idea to use music videos to actually obscure the band (a concept they successfully translated to their live shows; it was in response to the overexposure they received during Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum). Unfortunately, that became the "thing" for bands to do. I want to watch the band play, not try and keep up with the edits.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:26 pm

Well I am sorry that some of you feel I have an Unthankful Heart, but I don't feel under any obligation to impress anyone, especially anyone at Inpop. Five minutes of rehearsal footage? Why bother? Gee, that's as long as Peter Furler's interview. And how many hours did they rehearse? Five minutes, eh. What a joke.

And yes, I stand by my statement that it beats a blank. It will be nice to have, but I for one hoped that this CD and DVD could be tools that might minister to people for years to come. Something by which people could see what Petra was all about. I predict media reviews will not be kind. They will see it for what it is - a cheesy momento, a one-dimensional glimpse into what was left of a once popular band, which will not create any kind of incentive for casual fans to buy it, much less create any new fans. I wonder if the notes on the DVD packaging will have grammar, spelling and punctuation errors on it like the CD? It could have been so much more if "the powers that be" had really cared about Petra's legacy. I for one, would have paid twice as much for a quality product.

BTW, Mountain Man, I agree totally on the "MTV" editing. It is a shame everyone has ADHD when it comes to movies and such anymore. Heaven forbid we should have to concentrate on something for more than 5 seconds at a time.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:44 pm

Okay, hold on a minute here. I do understand what you're saying, and you have as much right to your opinion as anyone, Bridget, and I don't think you have to impress anyone. But who was it who chose to sign with Inpop in the first place? Wasn't it Petra? I know there are some aspects of the industry they can't control, and I've often felt that they haven't gotten the recognition from the industry they deserve. But nobody forced them to sign with Inpop, that was something they chose to do for whatever reason. They're not helpless victims. John and Bob in particular have been in the music biz a long time and understand how things can be. You can't tell me they had absolutely no idea what they might be getting themselves into by signing a record contract. I personally think they might not necessarily have had to retire now if they'd made better choices as far as who they've worked with, but that is just my opinion too and isn't really significant, especially at this late date. I don't have a background in the music biz and don't know what all they have to deal with, but what's done is done. We all make bad choices sometimes, and they're no exception.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:34 pm

I'm not saying this to assess any blame, but it wasn't it Bob who was in charge of Petra's recording aspect of the business (not 'the band')? Who knows what Inpop promised when they signed Petra? I seem to remember hearing the first of the year that Inpop wanted Petra to release another Greatest Hits CD with a couple of new songs on it. (Gee, there was a novel idea -- NOT!!). Most record deals are for 3 records (CD, whatever). It looks to me like Inpop was looking for a cheap way to do the third CD they were obligated to let Petra do. So, it should come as no surprise they made this project as cheaply as possible, counting on us to do their publicity and marketing for them with "street teams" and such. True, no one "forced" Petra to sign with Inpop, but they would not be the first band to have their recording contract turn out differently than they expected. And, I'm not blaming everyone at Inpop. I'm sure there were folks who genuinely wanted to do the best job for Petra they could. What I am saying is that somewhere along the line, what I personally consider to be poor (and cheap) decisions were made and the result was that a less than stellar product was released. To pretend otherwise is nothing but trying to put a better spin on it or putting one's head in the sand (or in an even more disgusting place).

Maybe the DVD is worth $8-12; it would be hard for it not to be. I'm sorry that no one agrees with me that we deserved better, that John deserved better, that God deserves better, than some half-hearted attempt to throw out a product and see if it hits something. I am personally disappointed. I know Inpop is in business to make money, but I repeat, they could have put out a better product and charged more for it and probably made the same amount of money. So they sell 20,000 DVDs at $12. They could have done a better job and even if they only sold 10,000 at $24 a pop, the numbers wouldn't be as impressive, but the bottom line would be the same.

Disclaimer: The above opinion was conceived in my own mind, by my own perceptions. I am aware of the fact that because I am working on John's book that it is possible someone might think I have facts not in evidence, so to speak. I do not. This is not a subject that has been discussed by me with anyone in the band, except for the technical aspect which I discussed in another thread.
0 x
Bridget