ClassicPetra.com

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Re: ClassicPetra.com

Post by p-freak » Mon May 03, 2010 10:04 am

I wonder how many of the fans from the early 80s are on-line and working with modern media like facebook and twitter. There's only just a few of them frequenting this board (or are all of you lurking?). Maybe other promotion than on-line might be more effective. That said, it shouldn't stop us from exactly what shawn is suggesting!
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:30 am

I was just a kid in the eighties, i'm 32 now so maybe there are others like me, who would like to see this lineup, but might not have any idea that this is happening. I wonder how many people don't even know about the Zone??
0 x

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Mon May 03, 2010 11:31 am

shawnpfan2010 wrote:I was just a kid in the eighties, i'm 32 now so maybe there are others like me, who would like to see this lineup, but might not have any idea that this is happening. I wonder how many people don't even know about the Zone??
The word for this will get out. I'm investigating brining them in, and know they have hired a professional booking agency. They'll contact their list of promotors and so on, and so on.

All the boys will have contacts to stir up interest.

I believe this will be a good thing that will attract attention and they will get their 50+ dates.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Mon May 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Got news for you "youngsters". I'm 48 and over half my senior class from high school (1980) is on facebook now. My in-laws (mid 70's) are both on facebook and were on before me. Perhaps we're seeing a bit of what's called "chronological arrogance" going on here. We're not as retarded as you think.

By the way, I am so stoked, and I will be putting the link in my status tonight.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Tue May 04, 2010 1:58 am

This has nothing to do with thinking that old people would be retarded. It's just a fact that the Internet is generally more used by younger people (who grew up with it) than by older people (who might not need it and because of that just don't bother).

I wasn't trying to put anyone down, I was merely wondering. And in general we don't have many people around here who saw Petra in the early 80s.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue May 04, 2010 7:54 am

I'm one of the ones that has saw every Petra tour at least once since Never Say Die, and I'm really excited about this. I am also someone that is very relucant to get on Twitter, FaceBook, and MySpace. Twitter sells your info to third party companies and Facebook has now stated they will be doing that same.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Thu May 06, 2010 11:53 am

The first two albums I ever heard from Petra was "Petra" and "Never Say Die" so this is a dream come true to see Greg back. I love John but we just had how many years with John at the mic? The band retired with John. So I think it's awesome that we are getting to see more with Greg now. From seeing videos and photos of Greg during solo stuff in the last couple of years, Greg is going to be all over that stage, he hasn't settled down one bit.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Wed May 12, 2010 6:22 pm

The sword logo is back! Sweet. I love that thing.
0 x

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up

Post by cvs2kids » Thu May 13, 2010 5:54 am

Mountain Man wrote:The sword logo is back! Sweet. I love that thing.
But where is the flyin' g'tar?! :mrgreen:
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Thu May 13, 2010 10:10 am

The flyin' guitar is in the shop for repairs. Hey, the thing hasn't flown since 1987 when it was the band's primary mode of transportation during the "Back To The Street" tour.

As you can tell by the BTTS album cover, extensive modifications were made for that tour. As you can see on previous album covers, the flying guitar was originally designed as a high-atmosphere craft, or even space craft, which was launched ballistically into a sub-orbital trajectory, followed by descending upon the destination, much like a ballistic missile with a spiritual warhead.

But pressure from the Pentagon forced Petra to stop travelling this way. Every time they headed out to a new city, every early-warning launch alert from the Washington to Moscow went crazy. So, for BTTS the guitar was refitted as a low-atmosphere craft capable of gentle landings and take-offs. Ideally for the title of the tour, this allowed Petra to actually get "Back to the Street" because the redesigned guitar could take off or land from practically anywhere.

The BTTS cover shows the guitar landing on a typical city street of the late 1980's ... at least, that's how we all perceived a typical city street back then.

The flying guitar was seldom used after BTTS. This was largely due to the protests of John Schlit who was frequently quoted as saying, "BOB!! LOUIEE!! Guitars are not supposed to fly!!!" It is rumored that he flatly refused to "risk life and limb" riding in a flying guitar for the "This Means War" tour.

Much speculation has arisen over what, if any, refits the flying guitar will have when it is finally unveiled this time around. But Greg X. Volz, who always thought all guitars should fly, has been seen frequently carrying rolled up blueprints in and out of the hangar where the guitar is rumored to be undergoing repairs.

(Let's make sure all this information gets into that Wikki article the other thread was talking about. Just quote my write up here as the "source". )
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Thu May 13, 2010 10:50 am

knotodiswrld, funny! Love it!
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Thu May 13, 2010 11:03 am

:lol: That is very funny.
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Thu May 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Hmmm....are you also known as Lirpa Loof? :mrgreen:
0 x
I love it when Schlitt happens!!

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Tue May 25, 2010 10:58 am

0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

prem
Pethead
Pethead

Post by prem » Tue May 25, 2010 3:48 pm

It would totally rock if Petra brought back the flying guitar/guitarship in their cover art. If Boston did a new flying saucer for their Greatest Hits, why not Petra for theirs? This was a staple piece of art for almost all their Volz-era stuff. And although the exploding tv screen did replace the guitar for BTS, it made a reprise on the cover of CITAS...albeit, an abstract 3d raytraced version of it.

Petra, if you're listening to this...please bring back the guitar-ship!!!

---Prem
0 x