Classic Petra's Facebook

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Re: Classic Petra's Facebook

Post by sue d. » Mon May 10, 2010 11:46 am

I think it's good to have fan pages and all that - but as you said - as long as they make it clear they are NOT Petra.

I remember Josh Renaud of Petra Rocks My World, who put up a disclaimer right on his homepage, so all would know that the band was not running the site - it was HIS site.
As far as I'm concerned they're both Petra and they're both official.
sue d. wrote:pfreak -- there's no issue, per se.

The only issue is when a fan page is posting info that's not accurate while posing as an 'authority' (read: official); it creates more confusion than there already is.
I know there are some fans out there who think it's a good idea to have a myspace/facebook/whatever-page without making clear that they're not Petra, which is basically not a good idea.

I was merely responding to fcollazo's remark.
fcollazo wrote:As far as I'm concerned they're both Petra and they're both official.
sue d. wrote:pfreak -- there's no issue, per se.

The only issue is when a fan page is posting info that's not accurate while posing as an 'authority' (read: official); it creates more confusion than there already is.
I know there are some fans out there who think it's a good idea to have a myspace/facebook/whatever-page without making clear that they're not Petra, which is basically not a good idea.

I was merely responding to fcollazo's remark.
]As far as I'm concerned they're both Petra and they're both official.
I totally agree.

But with two incarnations of the same band, basically booking at the same time - there's bound to be confusion and comparisons. That's not healthy.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon May 10, 2010 11:55 am

I think at this point you could put Bob on stage with whatever group of past members you could cobble together and call it Petra, the same way you could put Billy, Mark and Riq, with whoever and call it Whiteheart.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Mon May 10, 2010 4:29 pm

gman wrote:I think at this point you could put Bob on stage with whatever group of past members you could cobble together and call it Petra, the same way you could put Billy, Mark and Riq, with whoever and call it Whiteheart.
Except that three guys is way different than one. I think Bob either needs at least John or Greg with him to be able to really call it Petra.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon May 10, 2010 7:03 pm

I was just thinking about this, Is this formation of Petra going to offically called Classic Petra or just Petra?
Also has Bob bought the touring rights back from John?
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon May 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Word was that John owned the touring side and Bob owned the recording/publishing side. That arrangement is none of our business really. But, I don't think John has anything to own really, because Petra is over. That is unless they have to keep books open because of carried debt or something. Just speculating on that. I have no clue. The only person making money on Petra's Green Tree would be the people with publishing. That's it.

Petra is called Petra by whomever owns the name, just as whomever has the publishing and distribution rights may produce and sell any Petra assets they own and see fit. That's Bob. If anything, people would have to pay him.

Classic Petra is not representing themselves as Petra, as in the last one to retire. On the contrary. They are differentiating themselves as the Volz era Petra. John has nothing to do with Classic Petra. Bob does not have to pay John anything because he has nothing to do with it. The Classic Petra was instigated by Greg. This was not a Bob thing.
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Tue May 11, 2010 10:24 am

This is like New Coke vs. Coca-Cola Classic. Except "New Petra" was actually quite good. But it will be nice to taste Petra-Classic again.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Tue May 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Knot, I was thinking the exact same thing. We need to design logos for Classic Petra and New Petra to match their Coke counterparts. Then we can have them tour together to blindfolded audiences and end the debate of which is better.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 pm

So they will be offically called Classic Petra then. If The tour and cd promotion is all saying Classic Petra then that's what we should call them.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue May 11, 2010 6:14 pm

BForm wrote:Knot, I was thinking the exact same thing. We need to design logos for Classic Petra and New Petra to match their Coke counterparts. Then we can have them tour together to blindfolded audiences and end the debate of which is better.
They are already using the old Petra logo with the t sword in the middle. That was THE coolest Christian rock band logo ever IMO. I don't know if the original album art guy is still around, but they should really go do a modern spin on the old album art concepts. Video game are is in. Digital art is in.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Tue May 11, 2010 6:32 pm

brent wrote:THE coolest Christian rock band logo ever
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 am

I just happened to stop by Jesusfreakhideout.com last night, and they have Petra listed as an active band with the classic line-up being the current members. John is listed as a former member.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed May 12, 2010 3:17 pm

separateunion wrote:I just happened to stop by Jesusfreakhideout.com last night, and they have Petra listed as an active band with the classic line-up being the current members. John is listed as a former member.
I'm thinking that Petra will not be their offical name. If you go by with what is on the website then it looks like the offical name of the band will be Classic Petra. When you call or email the tour management they all respond as Classic Petra. I emailed Bob and his one line response was Petra is no longer an active band.

So the name of this NEW band is called CLASSIC PETRA
0 x

74CAPethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by 74CAPethead » Fri May 14, 2010 1:52 am

executioner wrote:
I emailed Bob and his one line response was Petra is no longer an active band.

So the name of this NEW band is called CLASSIC PETRA
I emailed Bob Hartman and he said he never said any such thing about Petra!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri May 14, 2010 6:14 am

1. We all type stuff we forget about.
2. I have heard members of all kinds of bands say things that they later denied.
3. Context. What was the context of that statement?
4. I wish these people would learn what it is to retire. If they wanted bookings they should have retired long ago. (This is a tongue in cheek joke for you non-American, non-English speaking and/or humor challenged people).
0 x

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri May 14, 2010 6:53 am

I guess "Classic Petra" vs "Petra" exists to not step on each other's toes in the realm of copyright infringement. Still gonna go see Petra when it's Classic Petra.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."