Farewell tour

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:24 pm

shawnpfan01 wrote:Just courious, what is so special about St. Agustine's Pears.

What is it about that song that draws you to it?
Besides the great guitar playing and the can't get it out of your head sing-along chorus, it's the lyrics. The song is about regrets, and this song hits really close to home for me.

Plus the line at the end of song is hilarious! "And I don't even like pears that well...oh, I don't even like 'em at all!". I've always wondered if John adlibbed that line.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:36 pm

shawnpfan01 wrote:
separateunion wrote:

The rest of the album sounds like a dirge. This particular song is one of the ew up tempo songs on the album, and it has some tinges of old school Petra.
I kind of thought that the song God Fixation had the same feel.
God Fixation is up tempo, but the bass line itself makes it non-classic Petra style.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Vic
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Vic » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:23 am

shawnpfan01 wrote:
separateunion wrote:

The rest of the album sounds like a dirge. This particular song is one of the ew up tempo songs on the album, and it has some tinges of old school Petra.
I kind of thought that the song God Fixation had the same feel.
St Augustine's Pears is a nice song, nice lyrics but music, mmmmhh!! not so bad, but a 4 chord major scale song isn't that appealing to me, as any punk band out there can easily play reproduce it.

I'd go with God Fixation, a great bass line and sweet guitar slides played with technical virtuosity and a superb arrangement. Only that I wish other Petheads realised that it is actually a great song. That's one song that one can say-wow that's a great rock band playing, only that for a live performance it requires additional guitarists.

Plus how does St Augustine sound like classic Petra? I've listened to most of their songs and to me, none sounds like it.
0 x