John no longer with Petra?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: John no longer with Petra?

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:54 am

I wasn't accusing anyone of anything. No names were mentioned, so I'm just talking about a general impression I've gotten ever since this information started to come out. It's that attitude that I'm speaking to and not anyone specific, so maybe those who took offense need to check the attitudes that caused them to be so offended. I'm trying to think of the impression that a casual fan might get who comes here looking to pick up on the buzz about this if they just heard about it and I'm thinking they would not come away with a very positive impression.

By the way, the success I'm talking is not centered on money. I never said a single word about money in regards to their success, only in regards to the fact that there were people willing to put money behind this version of Petra, so you were putting words in my mouth. Money will be a necessary part of commercial success, but I'm thinking about ministry success.

Were they hard words? Yes, I suppose they were, but I'm just calling things as I see them. I'm seeing poor and negativde attitudes and that's what I'm addressing.

As for not getting replies to my post. If it were about anything else I wouldn't care, but I've been around here long enough to remember when posts were made to pray for Petra when it was something with John and people would be all over it, so I figured (based on past experience) that it might generate a little fire to focus on the best thing that we as fans can really be doing, but was rather surprised at the lack result. That's all I'm saying.

You guys can make me the bad guy if you wish, but I'm just ashamed at what I've seen on this board and that's all I'm saying. Do with it what you will.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:39 pm

I'm not attempting to make anyone out to be the bad guy or knocking you for having an opinion. We all have our opinions and preconceived ideas and you have as much right to your opinion as anyone. I don't dispute the idea that things get out of hand here sometimes, but this is over concert dates, and to read idolatry into posts about concert dates is overstating things. Again, I haven't seen anyone say they don't WANT this to happen. Ministries with the bucks coming in tend to find themselves in trouble eventually if they're not careful by the way, and that goes for anyone.

Really, do posts about a band and concert dates on a message board matter all that much when looking at the big picture?
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:25 pm

Ok, I apologize for speaking of idol worship, but I was just thinking about the possibility that for some, their loyalty to John may be more important than the ministry of Petra going forward. Again, just kind of the impression that I've gotten over time. However, my impression could be wrong, so I apologize for going that far with it.

As far as posts about concert dates, well, I do think that deducing from a tour list (which hasn't even been officially posted yet) that things are falling apart is a bit overstated. I mean the tour isn't even scheduled to start until Oct. and how many people are really planning family vacations in October? Something tells me that the people planning the tour are not banking on family vacations. Anyway, that's beside the point. I just really hope we aren't looking for reasons to doubt what God may do here. Pray and believe, that's my perspective.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:00 pm

CatNamedManny wrote:
brent wrote:This is all silly. It is what it is. It IS Petra. Not having John in it doesn't make it any less. Having Greg in it doesn't make it any more classic. Anything Bob is in is Petra. The lead singers determine the era/version, like BC and AD (don't read anything into the association with BC = Greg and AD = John, although that is kinda funny).
catnamedmanny said:
I'm inclined to agree with this. It's not as if the Classic Petra lineup never existed. It's a reunion of a legitimate Petra lineup -- the lineup that appeared on the band's first live album, fwiw. Reunions of the Farewell Petra lineup are equally legitimate. I'm at the place now where I'm not sure there is a way to account for this unique situation without confusion for the casual observer. Has there ever been a band with two lineups performing at the same time? It's ridiculous, in a funny and cool kind of way.

What we need to keep in mind about this whole situation, is the fact that the two versions of Petra ARE NOT touring at the same time. The Farewell version only has a couple of shows that end around the time that the "Classic Petra" is set to begin their tour, so its not like Bob will be running back and forth between the two trying to remember which songs to play that night.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:37 pm

I really want this thing to happen; yes I will admit that for me I would rather see John up there instead of Greg, but then again I'm eager to just hear the stuff before 1986 again.
I'm A realist and I speak how it is, and right now my inside sources are saying 1. Dates are not coming in like they had hoped. 2. The price tag is way too high. 3. Whoever has been organizing this is not doing that great of a job.
I personally think someone either released the info and really made it to a 30lb fish and its actually only a 10lb, or the info that what was released is right, but they are now sitting there saying "ok hey do we do now".
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:37 pm

executioner wrote:I'm A realist and I speak how it is, and right now my inside sources are saying
Dude, a few promoters and radio DJs in your area are not "insiders". Granted, they may have some experience and they may have concerns, but they aren't inside the Petra circle, which is what qualifies one as an insider.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:43 am

executioner wrote:I really want this thing to happen; yes I will admit that for me I would rather see John up there instead of Greg, but then again I'm eager to just hear the stuff before 1986 again.
I'm A realist and I speak how it is, and right now my inside sources are saying 1. Dates are not coming in like they had hoped. 2. The price tag is way too high. 3. Whoever has been organizing this is not doing that great of a job.
I personally think someone either released the info and really made it to a 30lb fish and its actually only a 10lb, or the info that what was released is right, but they are now sitting there saying "ok hey do we do now".

I would really like to know who these "inside" sources are, and what kind of connections they have with Petra.
0 x

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:28 am

executioner wrote: "I'm A realist and I speak how it is, and right now my inside sources are saying 1. Dates are not coming in like they had hoped. 2. The price tag is way too high. 3. Whoever has been organizing this is not doing that great of a job.
".
There is some truth to exe's remarks. I think someone was initialy being unrealistic as it appeared they were ready for an arena tour. Not that I wouldn't love to see it, but point #2 is dead on.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:22 am

cvs2kids wrote:
executioner wrote: "I'm A realist and I speak how it is, and right now my inside sources are saying 1. Dates are not coming in like they had hoped. 2. The price tag is way too high. 3. Whoever has been organizing this is not doing that great of a job.
".
There is some truth to exe's remarks. I think someone was initialy being unrealistic as it appeared they were ready for an arena tour. Not that I wouldn't love to see it, but point #2 is dead on.

So I guess that you tried to set up a concert, because you seem to know that the "price tag is too high".
0 x

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:42 am

Yes.

And part of the team had brought in Newsboys, Jars of Clay and others, so it wasn't sticker shock.

And in other areas they may be able to get that, if so, good for them. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be in my area.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:37 pm

cvs2kids wrote:Yes.

And part of the team had brought in Newsboys, Jars of Clay and others, so it wasn't sticker shock.

And in other areas they may be able to get that, if so, good for them. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be in my area.

So how much are they asking?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:24 pm

1. I'm getting my info from a promoter from the Dallas area(in the last 25 yrs in a CCM artist came to DFW there is a 90% chance he had a hand in it). This promoter in turn is getting his info from an insider working in WMA, and yes according to them some of the terms that had been released are overstated.

2. As of July 1 still no confirmed dates.

3. Price tag is way too high. I've heard as much as 28k per show.

4. As of right now WMA is unwillingly to buge on the costs.

One thing that got to think about is if one of us or a promoter calls in they are going to hear the rosy side of the story, we will hear what they have planned; you will never hear the complete truth.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:29 pm

So how is 28k per show for 5 guys plus crew too much? I'm not a promoter so I am asking it as a legit question. Even if the guys got all of the money thats only 5,600 a piece, I don't think that is too much to ask for. But if that 28k includes crew, fuel for the bus, food, etc. then it breaks down even more. I think that when the album comes out and more people start hearing about the tour, I really think that things will pick up.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:51 pm

my understanding the going rate for what ClassicPetra is right now is about 15k-18k. The WMA has also thrown out there a 50-60 min show that has turned away some for amount of cash they want.
I really want this to go on and be successful and I think it still can be but time is running short for what we were told 2 months ago.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:28 pm

This is exactly what's wrong with our society. We complain about paying 30 grand to a group of professional musicians that glorify God, that have put before a show that has nothing to envy from the secular bands, but have no problem paying 200 grand for Britney Spears to shake her cellulite ridden butt, and speak her filthy mouth. Anybody see anything wrong with this picture?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.