Back To The Rock IS OUT NOW!!!!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
petrabandca
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Back To The Rock IS OUT NOW!!!!

Post by petrabandca » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:14 am

I've held off listening to the samples so that when I receive my cd it will be the first time I hear everything.
I've gotten a little tired of the full access we have now with the internet and gone are the days of surprises which I intend to have when I listen to the album out of the wrapper.

As for the downloadable tracks...it's a shame that they tried doing it themselves.
If it was a profit thing they were after than this is a great example of leaving certain things up to the experts...time is money!
Had they submitted the album to a system like iTunes where Apple has invested millions on making sure everything works correctly than a lot of their headaches of "fixing" the problem would be eliminated...that's how I roll.

Still, I'm sure there is a really good reason why that I'm not aware of and they're probably doing everything they can to make us all happy.

I'm looking forward to the entire album because many of Petra's not so great albums still get the respect they deserve from me.
There are a lot of songs I don't like as much as others, but I still appreciate the efforts they made to provide something new to me...a fan.
Hopefully, the more some of you listen to the "newer" tracks the more you enjoy them.
These certain re-used tracks could be a filler while some others are in the works for an all new studio album...never say die, right?
0 x
http://www.enticity.ca

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:39 am

If given the choice between purchasing from Itunes or the artist I'll choose the artist 10 out of 10 times.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:52 am

When I heard the sample of "Back to the Rock" I just sunk in my Chair, I wasn't expecting that song, I really never liked Greg's solo version of it. But it is what it is. For the most part we're not going to see Petra for these two songs, we're going to go see them play the old ones. If they end up doing a brand new album of all new tracks, I hope that it will be all new written songs just for that album.

But I must note, this doesn't look, feel or smell like a major release in anyway. It all feels like an idie release. It doesn't sound modern, the production is good, but the sound is Classic they should not have used some of today’s modern bands as examples of what they were trying to do.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:55 am

Here goes nothing- even with the horrible mouth to mouth I'm downloading it anyway. The album may need to be renamed "Back to the Pop Rock."
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:59 am

Ok, I have to say that after listening to full version of Back to the Rock, I would have preferred, if they were going to use this song, that they not change they lyric like they did. After knowing this song previously, it just doesn't sound right. They still could have called the album Back to the Rock and used this song without making it a title track. I mean, after all, On Fire had no song called "On Fire" but rather only a song called "All Fired Up". So while I'm happy to have a heavier version of it, I wish they'd left the lyrics alone.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:15 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:Ok, I have to say that after listening to full version of Back to the Rock, I would have preferred, if they were going to use this song, that they not change they lyric like they did. After knowing this song previously, it just doesn't sound right. They still could have called the album Back to the Rock and used this song without making it a title track. I mean, after all, On Fire had no song called "On Fire" but rather only a song called "All Fired Up". So while I'm happy to have a heavier version of it, I wish they'd left the lyrics alone.
...and "On Fire" was used as a lyric on one of the other songs on that album. The name escapes me right now though...
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:24 pm

sickasadog wrote:
Preacherman777 wrote:Ok, I have to say that after listening to full version of Back to the Rock, I would have preferred, if they were going to use this song, that they not change they lyric like they did. After knowing this song previously, it just doesn't sound right. They still could have called the album Back to the Rock and used this song without making it a title track. I mean, after all, On Fire had no song called "On Fire" but rather only a song called "All Fired Up". So while I'm happy to have a heavier version of it, I wish they'd left the lyrics alone.
...and "On Fire" was used as a lyric on one of the other songs on that album. The name escapes me right now though...
hit you where you live
0 x

loengard
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1981

Post by loengard » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Daniel wrote:
sickasadog wrote:
hit you where you live

Beat me to it.... :lol:
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:33 pm

loengard wrote:
Daniel wrote:
sickasadog wrote:
hit you where you live

Beat me to it.... :lol:
I got the zone on my phone!
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:51 pm

I got the zone on my phone!
Me too, Android rocks!!!
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

PrayinManis
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1980

Post by PrayinManis » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:40 pm

After listening to the whole album, I must say that I enjoyed it......fully. We need to remember that "Petra" was dying out there and the "Farewell" Petra is performing to mini crowds at best. So, I was excited when I heard about this album. We need to remember that this is a collection album. I would be disappointed if they did not respect Volz's work. We need to remember that this is the first of several album's that will be coming out. Stryper and other bands are doing the same thing in their new releases. I, personally am thankful that Bob and the rest of the gang are back together. I would like to hear more of the truly older music, like from the very first album. So, from my humble opinion; I am glad that they are back together and looking forward to the tour, merchandise, and future albums. To be honest, I am not sure this forty year old body can bang my head like I used to. Just a thought.

Still in One Peace,

The Prayin' Manis :mrgreen:
0 x
Still In One Peace, The PrayinManis

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:44 pm

I managed to download the 120mb zip file now, containing 12 tracks of mp3-files @ 320kbit.
I hoped I could download lossless files, but I didn't get to that.
I found only these mp3 files.

I have listened to all tracks now, and I think many of them are nice remakes of the old songs.
I think it's nicely done and very true to the original tunes.
I was anyway quite dissapointed to find the album title track just an old Greg X Volz song.
I already have his solo stuff, so I didn't expect they would put that one on this record.
It's a good tune, but it's NOT Classic Petra!

I will give the album a cube4.
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:13 pm

Overall this is a great album! apart from the title song, I just feel ripped of.

save yourself .99c, this song should never be included with Petra's name, sorry that just how i feel.
I find it VERY hard to believe that Bob thought this song was good enough to be associated with Petra.
It's like Greg really never got the grasp of writing songs that are not corny, they either sound like an 80's sitcom or are just dated.

Breath in by Pete Orta suddenly sounds cool compared. I really think it's not to late for them to fix this! it just one song that is pop and doesn't fit!
0 x

petrabandca
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrabandca » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:17 pm

rexreed wrote:If given the choice between purchasing from Itunes or the artist I'll choose the artist 10 out of 10 times.
Really, why's that?
0 x
http://www.enticity.ca

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:19 pm

petrabandca wrote:
rexreed wrote:If given the choice between purchasing from Itunes or the artist I'll choose the artist 10 out of 10 times.
Really, why's that?
itunes get a big cut.
0 x