New Tour Dates for Classic Petra! - Updated 3/13/12

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

Re: New Tour Dates for Classic Petra! - Updated 3/13/12

Post by LivingRock » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:17 am

QUEBEC???!!!!! OMGOODNESS!!!! I didn't even see that! I might be in Ontario during that time, if so I'll definitely have to check on that one!!! :shock:
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:29 pm

I just requested the 25th off for the Crosby (Houston) show. Anyone else here that might catch the show?
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm probably 75 percent sure I'm doing the Dallas show. Exe, we should meet up! Anyone else gonna be there?
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:17 am

CatNamedManny wrote:I'm probably 75 percent sure I'm doing the Dallas show. Exe, we should meet up! Anyone else gonna be there?
Because tickets are only being sold at the door on the day of the show I plan on being there early; I don't know what type of crowd to expect so I'm not sure what time would be best to get there. I'm planning on having about 6 people with, but if your coming alone you are welcomed to sit with us.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:09 am

Petra shows start up next week!
0 x

CatNamedManny
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Well, looks like money's not going to work out for the Dallas show for me. With gas and food, it would be a pretty tough haul, even with a cheap ticket. Bummer. But at least I got to see them in Nashville...
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:32 pm

Just got back from the show in Crosby. I'm on cold meds so the memory isn't going to be perfect but it didn't stop me from enjoying the show.

set list (give or take a song or two)
Bema Seat
Angel of Light- bob and Mark nailed this one
Clean- I usually don't like this song but it does sound great live
Second Wind- seemed a little early to play this?
More Power to Ya
Grave Robber
Adonai
Godpleaser- sounds fantastic live
All Over Me
Judas Kiss
Back to The Rock
It is Finished
Stand Up

Again I may have a song or two out of order but this is pretty close. The venue was a church. I estimate there were about 500 or so in attendance so about half capacity. The lower areas were full with about 120 people in the upper level. It did not seem like many of the people in attendance were all that familar with Petra. The youth group in front of me clearly had no idea what any of the first four songs were. They were into the music though, and Greg noticed them actually standing up and jamming and recognized them. The first few rows were filled primarily with "blue hairs." They sat down approx 70% of the show. The sound was very uneven. Where I was seated for the first few songs I could not hear any of Lawry. I moved over to the other side of the venue and could hear the keyboards a little bit better. During Bema Seat I wondered if Johns Keytar was even plugged in. Throughout the show I noticed the sound techs made some adjustments. For a rock show though I was impressed. Bob sounded great throughout. Louie puts a lot of extra things in when he is live. Mark introduced Grave Robber and you could hear a pin drop in the place. Later on when Greg was telling a moving story he got a little confused and segued into "All Over Me." Mark then went to each member on stage to make sure that they played "Godpleaser" instead. It was a funny moment to which Greg explained that he was 62. The teenagers in front of me were texting then entire show. I noticed the boy posted "I just saw some guy play keytar next to a guitar player." I guess he was trying to be funny and disinterested to his friends?

I gotta say that "All Over Me" was the surprise highlight for me. A lot of folks here at the zone don't care much for the song but it sounded great live. There was a lot of storied in between songs, it sort of killed momentum in a couple places. Greg led the congregation in a salvation prayer just before ending with "Stand Up." After the show I was washing my hands and some guy told me he thought the show was too loud. I told him I thought it was just perfect! 1hr 20 minutes later I am home.

Overall good show. I'd love to see Petra in a better venue with more true fans but this was great for ten bucks. I'm happy that Crosby Church hosted them and hope that some of the kids in attendance decide to buy some Petra music. Greg might talk a little too much but he sounded fantastic.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:04 am

Hmmm... Nothing new compared to last year's set list. I would've hoped for a new track or some resurrected oldies. Did they include Without Him We Can Do Nothing in Stand Up? It seems they only moved around a couple of songs, or maybe even only one.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:12 am

Nice review Rex; I do find it somewhat disheartening about the lack of involvement from the audience, but nevertheless won't let it bother me on Saturday. Even though they have been playing this set list going on 2 years now I'm eager to here it since I haven't heard it live as of yet; there are enough changes/adds from the DVD to keep me interested. The 2 things I'm disappointed with is they are not playing "Too Big" or anything new from the upcoming album and also they have stuck with "Back To The Rock"; sorry people but that song is so lame and IMO just doesn't fit into what Petra is/was.
I'm also wondering if they played through the venue's sound/speaker system, because according to the venue for the Saturday show(Plano, Tx) they will be using their own system.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:33 am

Wasn't there some kind of problem with Too Big being in a different key? I think that was the reason they're not playing it live.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:42 am

p-freak wrote:Wasn't there some kind of problem with Too Big being in a different key? I think that was the reason they're not playing it live.
I think I remember Bob saying it had something to do with carrying around some type of equipment for one song wasn't feasable; If that is the case what could it be? Maybe a different guitar?
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:04 am

They may be playing the same set list, but lets be honest, it's not like they have played this set list in a lot of cities. The Petra brand has been somewhat neglected. A lot of fans have dropped off over the years and new fans are fewer and farther between than before. Getting out there and playing in front of people is one way to get the Petra brand back.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:56 am

rexreed wrote:They may be playing the same set list, but lets be honest, it's not like they have played this set list in a lot of cities. The Petra brand has been somewhat neglected. A lot of fans have dropped off over the years and new fans are fewer and farther between than before. Getting out there and playing in front of people is one way to get the Petra brand back.
Very true! I'm excited about seeing them, and MPTY is always in my top 5 Petra albums of all time. I'm really happy they are putting alot of focus on MPTY, because the other 3 albums of the day are somewhat lackluster for me in the Petra catalog.
0 x