Read the first review of the Farewell DVD

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: ...

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:26 pm

superfly wrote:My opinion is that it isn't a money issue because the DVD doesn't have a cheap look to it at all...I think it's more of a style or maybe a compentency issue.
Which is ultimately a money issue. Imagine if this DVD had been produced by Nashville's top video production company. Of course, that kind of expertise would not have come without its price, and that's my point.
0 x

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Epyon5757 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:25 pm

I enjoyed the editing, and I thought the DVD was done very well given the circumstances - Inpop doesn't have the resources of a major movie studio. I trust everyone knows that.

Of course, since I'm 24 and enjoyed the editing, I must be ADHD - some of you have suggested that. I'm not saying the DVD was perfect (it wasn't) - but it was done very well. I am not saying that everyone should immediately apologize - but perhaps we should be taking the time to refocus here - we should be celebrating Petra's ministry - not condemning Inpop for not turning out a perfect product.

There were a couple of small ( VERY SMALL) annoyances - there are three noticeable sections - two lasting less than 30 seconds, one lasting less than two minutes, where Petra is not in sync with the soundtrack (or vice-versa) - and a few cutscenes done from the back of the auditorium/studio where someon'es fist and/or hand pokes into the middle of the screen.

These small things are NOT enough to cause me to not enjoy the DVD, and are NOT enough to make me think of it as a "cheap souvenir."

I am APPALLED at the torching that InPop, and, by proxy, InPopShara, has received because there are some people on here who think that Petra should have everything done, more or less, perfectly - it's like people here are expecting Inpop to turn out a product on the level of a major movie studio - it just won't happen. The people who have torched InPop don't seem to realize how much InPop could lose on this project - and I guarantee they aren't doing it for profit because, honestly, Petra probably is only going to sell enough units to break the studio even (sad, but probably true).

To those of you who have torched Inpop mercilessly regarding the DVD, I find your arguments to be largely unfounded.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:50 pm

Epyon5757 wrote:These small things are NOT enough to cause me to not enjoy the DVD...
I am generally positive about the DVD. I'm just not convinced that it couldn't have been better (much better, in some cases, such as the unceremonious butchering of Bob Hartman's guitar solo; it would have cost very little if anything at all to include the complete solo, especially since it is inexplicably presented intact in the credits of all places).

I also disagree with the "cheap souvenir" comment, but people are allowed to have their opinions.

As for the editing in general, it doesn't bother me like I was afraid it would, but I can appreciate the criticisms of those who dislike the ADD style of editing. That kind of editing works best in short format videos (as I noted, you could take pretty much any song off the DVD and have a solid stand-alone music video), but it does tend to wear on one's visual cortex when done for a whole hour.
there are some people on here who think that Petra should have everything done, more or less, perfectly
Well of course there are. We are Petra fans, after all. :wink:
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:25 pm

Just stirring up the pot here. :lol:

Too bad they couldn't have gone the multiple angle route and just slapped the raw footage onto the other angles, and the final edit as the main footage.

Ultimate fans compilation. ;)

Regardless like I said I can not really say anything about it cause I have not got it. But although I do not like that style of editing (from the sounds of it). I have seen it done on other concert footage of higher profile musicians (read Paul McCartney). So I'm not too concerned about it.

To be honest there were a couple things in the audio CD that I felt coulda been done. But in the long run it's a moot point. I will say though, that to me, Petra was always about quality and it sounds like this DVD just falls a little short.

I do plan on getting the next greatest hits CD. Although I am not a great fan of these types of things. The liner notes do sound pretty interesting.

/me Goes back to listening to "On Fire!"..
0 x