Back To The Rock IS OUT NOW!!!!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
petrabandca
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Back To The Rock IS OUT NOW!!!!

Post by petrabandca » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:58 am

sickasadog wrote:
rexreed wrote:
Buggy, like what? I wasn't aware that it was up around 60%. Still, money in money out when it comes to an investment and they need volume!
Buggy like constantly asking me to unlock a song purchased years ago. Buggy as in really bad burning software. Annoying as in what is the need for aac files? The cost per track is too high and I don't subscribe to the idea that Apple is the greatest innovative company on Earth. Annoying in the way it tries to manage all of my video and audio files. I don't need help organizing my files, but Itunes is so persistent, it actually gets in the way. Finally I absolutely avoid quicktime at all costs, and Itunes will install it every chance it gets. That's why I am not fond of Itunes. I will buy from Itunes rather than steal the music though. Plus most small releases don't make squat from Itunes anyway.
I have iTunes and have experienced several of the issues you've mentioned. In addition, Apple designed it to work less-well if you don't use Apple products. When I hear of the things that people with iPods go through, I'm really happy to pay 2/3 of the price for an easily-expanded, fully-functional media player that doesn't play favourites between Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Apple makes some great products, but they are too often treated with kid gloves when it comes to criticism. They promote every new Apple product as if they invented it, and people believe it because they spend so much on advertising:
According to its 10-K filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Apple, Inc. spent over $501 million on advertising in fiscal year 2009. This was an increase of $15 million from fiscal year 2008.

References:
Fortune Magazine: "Apple's 2009 Ad Budget: Half a Billion"
Also, many people like the idea of buying from the little guy, because they remember when Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy. In terms of market capitalization, Apple is the third-largest publicly-traded corporation in the world, behind Exxon Mobil and PetroChina. Microsoft, still massive, sits in 6th as of September 10th, 2010: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... talization

Oh, yes... and I'm loving the sound of the new album, but I'm going to wait for a hard copy.
I often wonder why people get turned off when someone becomes successful and yes off all of us. So does this mean if Petra were to make a huge comeback and sold a billion records we would be offended that they're now incredibly rich of the same people who made Apple rich? I hear of people everyday becoming rich and successful from something they created and I'm genuinely happy for them. Everyone has to start somewhere and that's cool, but I'm not going to get upset that I helped them get to that high point in their career. Just my thoughts :P
0 x
http://www.enticity.ca

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:36 am

I often wonder why people get turned off when someone becomes successful and yes off all of us. So does this mean if Petra were to make a huge comeback and sold a billion records we would be offended that they're now incredibly rich of the same people who made Apple rich? I hear of people everyday becoming rich and successful from something they created and I'm genuinely happy for them. Everyone has to start somewhere and that's cool, but I'm not going to get upset that I helped them get to that high point in their career. Just my thoughts
I agree with you. I'm not offended by Apple making money, I just don't like the product. I'm more of a Microsoft guy, I always have been. I don't understand why people get offended when someone makes a life for their self either. It's not my business to say someone is right or wrong for making money.

If I failed at something in life it's not anyone’s fault. I tried and so I should try again, I don't go laying blame on someone else because of it.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:18 am

petrabandca wrote:I often wonder why people get turned off when someone becomes successful and yes off all of us. So does this mean if Petra were to make a huge comeback and sold a billion records we would be offended that they're now incredibly rich of the same people who made Apple rich? I hear of people everyday becoming rich and successful from something they created and I'm genuinely happy for them. Everyone has to start somewhere and that's cool, but I'm not going to get upset that I helped them get to that high point in their career. Just my thoughts :P
I'm not turned off by rich people, I'm turned off by corporations (Google and Adobe are as good an example as Microsoft or Apple) being portrayed as if they were altruistic. I'm turned off by how our youth are being molded into good little consumers.

I'm turned off by Apple vs. Microsoft, Ford vs. Chevrolet, etc.

I'm not anti-business (I have B.Comm(Honours)), I just want people to see things for what they are.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:26 am

I'm not turned off by rich people, I'm turned off by corporations (Google and Adobe are as good an example as Microsoft or Apple) being portrayed as if they were altruistic. I'm turned off by how our youth are being molded into good little consumers.

I'm turned off by Apple vs. Microsoft, Ford vs. Chevrolet, etc.

I'm not anti-business (I have B.Comm(Honours)), I just want people to see things for what they are.
Yeah I guess some people can get taken for rides when it comes to adds. But at the same time, shouldn't we have a little more trust that people are a little smarter than we make them out to be? I mean not everyone is gullible.

Microsoft and Apple are not hiding the fact that they are trying to sell us something, I mean that’s what they do and they are in it for the money. That’s why we work, to earn a living and make a better life for ourselves.

People complain that Microsoft buys up other companies, well the other companies had a choice about selling to Microsoft, they didn’t have to do it. And if someone is out selling you, then make a better product or run a better add campaign. If people like your stuff they will buy it.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

petrabandca
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by petrabandca » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:18 pm

bakersfieldpethead wrote:
I often wonder why people get turned off when someone becomes successful and yes off all of us. So does this mean if Petra were to make a huge comeback and sold a billion records we would be offended that they're now incredibly rich of the same people who made Apple rich? I hear of people everyday becoming rich and successful from something they created and I'm genuinely happy for them. Everyone has to start somewhere and that's cool, but I'm not going to get upset that I helped them get to that high point in their career. Just my thoughts
I agree with you. I'm not offended by Apple making money, I just don't like the product. I'm more of a Microsoft guy, I always have been. I don't understand why people get offended when someone makes a life for their self either. It's not my business to say someone is right or wrong for making money.

If I failed at something in life it's not anyone’s fault. I tried and so I should try again, I don't go laying blame on someone else because of it.
That's cool! My business is completely Mac based and that's just preference, I drive a Honda...agian just my comfort zone.
0 x
http://www.enticity.ca

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:40 pm

I've used Mac's in the past. The older ones were always easy to work on. I remember having to repair a few of the old Performa's, I even owned a couple of them myself, of course that was during the old OS7.5 days. Never got online with them. Used my Windows PC for that, so I just used the Mac so I could have a little experience with them. They do have their high points, and the Graphics industry has been using them for years.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Not all corporations are bad.

I hear people saying all kinds of bad things about big business, big church, big this and that. What they are really doing is forgetting that most of these started in homes, with just a few people, with no money. With hard work and success, they grew.

Without big business, we would not have had the infrastructure to produce products to end WWII, build our power grid, build communications systems, etc, etc.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:52 pm

Without big business, we would not have had the infrastructure to produce products to end WWII, build our power grid, build communications systems, etc, etc.
I agree man. Don't bite the hand that feeds ya.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

loengard
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1981

Post by loengard » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:45 pm

petrabandca wrote:That's cool! My business is completely Mac based and that's just preference, I drive a Honda...agian just my comfort zone.
And you're also Canadian, but we won't hold that against you, either! j/k

As someone who has several Apple and PC products I can see the benefits to both. Apple does like to take existing tech and pretty it up and market it as if they made it... But hey, the iPhone is one of the most elegant pieces of tech on the market today, so I can't fault them at all, even though there are several things that I'd fix (like having a battery I can easily change myself)....

But, as someone who has followed both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs for years, I'm very impressed in what both have been able to do with their lives and their companies.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:55 pm

But, as someone who has followed both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs for years, I'm very impressed in what both have been able to do with their lives and their companies.
I love that movie that came out about them several years ago. The Movie brought out how Bill Gates helped Steve Jobs get Apple back.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 pm

Just to be clear... I'm not anti-business, anti-corporate, or anything near that. I'm a free market advocate. I agree that adults can usually discern when their being played, but man are our youth being agressively marketed towards at an unprecedented level.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 pm

sickasadog wrote:Just to be clear... I'm not anti-business, anti-corporate, or anything near that. I'm a free market advocate. I agree that adults can usually discern when their being played, but man are our youth being agressively marketed towards at an unprecedented level.
But that's really it, we have been fighting this for some time. The youth have been the target so much for so long, because if they can get it in their heads as early as they can, they think the more they'll make money in the future when those kids become adults.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

Drumolator
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Drumolator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:07 pm

PayPal is good idea for paying for downloads at an artist site. I will buy a download as soon as it starts working on the Classic Petra site. My wife, son, and I all want to hear it ASAP. Peace and goodwill.
0 x