BTTR Must Be Selling Well

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: BTTR Must Be Selling Well

Post by separateunion » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:57 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:The US goverment didn't make this law on their own. The Artists, The Record companies and those in the buisness have requested that. It's the will of the artists, not just the US, but those artists that are in other countries as well. Just because your country says it's ok, dosn't mean it is.
I live in the US, and you're still talking about arbitrary laws that the government has to enforce. Just because artists, record companies, etc. want the law, that doesn't make it any more moral than if I want the government to make a law saying that people over 60 can't drive.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:06 am

No matter how you look at it, it's stealing! It's funny how people suddenly bring up the "Grey area" clause when it comes to something they just don't want to stop doing. If you want to keep doing what you are doing, that's fine, I don't have respect for it, but it's your life. Just don't hide behind the "Grey area" clause, call it what it is, it's stealing and just be done with it.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:42 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:No matter how you look at it, it's stealing! It's funny how people suddenly bring up the "Grey area" clause when it comes to something they just don't want to stop doing. If you want to keep doing what you are doing, that's fine, I don't have respect for it, but it's your life. Just don't hide behind the "Grey area" clause, call it what it is, it's stealing and just be done with it.
It's funny how some people insist that their personal convictions are Biblical law when they are in fact not. I'm not hiding behind a grey area "clause", I'm stating a simple fact.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:01 am

separateunion wrote:
bakersfieldpethead wrote:No matter how you look at it, it's stealing! It's funny how people suddenly bring up the "Grey area" clause when it comes to something they just don't want to stop doing. If you want to keep doing what you are doing, that's fine, I don't have respect for it, but it's your life. Just don't hide behind the "Grey area" clause, call it what it is, it's stealing and just be done with it.
It's funny how some people insist that their personal convictions are Biblical law when they are in fact not. I'm not hiding behind a grey area "clause", I'm stating a simple fact.
It's not a personal conviction. I just know what the meaning of stealing is. Plus, I'm an artist, I've recorded several albums, been signed to a recording contract, had singles on the radio and have toured. Brent is a recording/performing artist too and I'm telling you from an artists point of view. It is stealing. This isn't just the view of the US governement, it is the view of the whole music industry, world wide.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:11 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:It's not a personal conviction. I just know what the meaning of stealing is. Plus, I'm an artist, I've recorded several albums, been signed to a recording contract, had singles on the radio and have toured. Brent is a recording/performing artist too and I'm telling you from an artists point of view. It is stealing. This isn't just the view of the US governement, it is the view of the whole music industry, world wide.
That doesn't make it gospel truth. First of all, there are lots of artists out there who encourage people to download their music for free, so it isn't the view of the whole industry. Secondly, I could say that from my point of view, a man who compliments another man's wife is committing adultery. That doesn't make it so.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:12 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:It's not a personal conviction. I just know what the meaning of stealing is. Plus, I'm an artist, I've recorded several albums, been signed to a recording contract, had singles on the radio and have toured. Brent is a recording/performing artist too and I'm telling you from an artists point of view. It is stealing. This isn't just the view of the US governement, it is the view of the whole music industry, world wide.
Uhmm... It is your personal conviction. I don't agree with you here. Just like SU said earlier, intellectual property is kind of a fuzzy area. Unfortunately you don't seem to be ready, willing or able to acknowledge that people might have a different opinion that is just as valid as yours.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:25 am

p-freak wrote:
Uhmm... It is your personal conviction. I don't agree with you here. Just like SU said earlier, intellectual property is kind of a fuzzy area. Unfortunately you don't seem to be ready, willing or able to acknowledge that people might have a different opinion that is just as valid as yours.
That could go both ways p-freak. The fact that we are even debating this shows there are different opinions about this.
It seems when you don't agree with someone you always grab that little statement as if somehow others who disagree with you about something are overlooking your point of view. But if we overlooked it we wouldn't be talking to you about it now would we!
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:30 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:That could go both ways p-freak. The fact that we are even debating this shows there are different opinions about this.
It seems when you don't agree with someone you always grab that little statement as if somehow others who disagree with you about something are overlooking your point of view. But if we overlooked it we wouldn't be talking to you about it now would we!
The difference is that you're stating your opinion as Biblical fact. Neither of us are. And you're not talking to us because it's your opinion, you're stating matter-of-factly that we are sinning.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:43 am

If the description of stealing is taking something that you don't own and doesn't belong to you, then how is downloading music without paying for it not stealing??? Just because it comes in a form of a digital file on a computer in your own home doesn't change what stealing is.

Go ahead, debate this with the record companies and the artists. See what they say. You don't want to go to someone that would actually slap you with a law-suit so fast your head would spin. But you're more than welcome to try.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:53 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:Go ahead, debate this with the record companies and the artists.
Again, they don't get to define morality.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:55 am

Another point to consider: if downloading media is illegal, how come so many torrent sites are allowed to exist without being shut down?
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:08 am

separateunion wrote:
bakersfieldpethead wrote:Go ahead, debate this with the record companies and the artists.
Again, they don't get to define morality.
I'm not saying they do, But you don't get to change what stealing is just to fit your own desires.
You somehow present yourself that your actions dont' harm anyone, but yet thousands like you, doing the same thing does in fact hurt those who made the music. You not only commit the crime, but you also contribue to those who rip and distribute to all the torrent sights giving them a reason to keep doing it.
Another point to consider: if downloading media is illegal, how come so many torrent sites are allowed to exist without being shut down?
Frostwire and Limewire keep having to fight off law-suits and have been checked on several times for illegal sharing. Napster had to change to a mp3 store. Several other Torrent sights have faced shut-down. Rapidlibrary searches for illegal content and removes it from their system. How come so many offer the option to report illegal content?
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:18 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:I'm not saying they do, But you don't get to change what stealing is just to fit your own desires.
I'm not changing any definitions. The definition is being changed by those who claim "intellectual property rights" and that taking something intangible is somehow equivalent to walking into a store, taking it off the shelf and walking out the door with it.
Frostwire and Limewire keep having to fight off law-suits and have been checked on several times for illegal sharing. Napster had to change to a mp3 store. Several other Torrent sights have faced shut-down. Rapidlibrary searches for illegal content and removes it from their system. How come so many offer the option to report illegal content?
This further proves my point. "Pirating" music from the internet is still undefined as truly legal or illegal. If it was illegal, more people would be prosecuted for it (rather than some odd person every 3 months) and the industry would have a much easier time shutting down any site that was "illegal". However, it's an extremely complicated issue that isn't as simple as being branded stealing.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:21 am

brent wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
separateunion wrote:Guess you guys are having fun with your circle jerk of hating on people who download music. Whatever. I have no issues with it, and no amount of bashing is going to make me stop doing it.
Maybe you'll sing a different song when the RIAA gestapo is bashing down your door handing out summons and lawsuits.
Right one. It takes a wake-up call to get some people's attention. Stolen bibles, music, and church offerings will not bless a Christian. Doing bad to get something good never works out.
What Brent said. It's never been an issue for me. It's wrong plain and simple. Poorly written laws be darned, its not morally right.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:29 am

I'm not changing any definitions. The definition is being changed by those who claim "intellectual property rights" and that taking something intangible is somehow equivalent to walking into a store, taking it off the shelf and walking out the door with it.
It is equivalent, when the product the artist is selling is the music tracks themselves and not the packaging. The music is the product, the music is what we make money on, the music is what we own.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)