Portuguese-speaking forum

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
rlima
Pethead
Pethead

Portuguese-speaking forum

Post by rlima » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:20 pm

Some people think we at Brazil speak Spanish, but we don't. We speak Portuguese. There are a lot of similarities between both languages, but are some discrepancies, too. For instance, a same word can mean "embarassed" (Portuguese) or "pregnant" (Spanish), or "weird" (Portuguese) or "tasteful" (Spanish). It's a mad thing! So, I suggest a Portuguese forum here, because here, in Brazil, there are a lot of petheads. I think it's a good idea, don't you, even don't speaking Portuguese?
A little joke for you: some people know Portuguese is a very hard language to learn. So, an american missionary friend of mine told me that Portuguese is the language of heaven, because it takes an eternity to learn it... :lol:
0 x
Jesus is my Lord, Brazil is my place and I have a lovely wife and a cute little girl!

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:51 am

Ok, what do people think on this?

Should the Latin forum also include Portuguese, and each thread could be in Spanish or Portuguese? Or is a separate forum better? I could certainly make one, there's not really a limit on how many forums we can have.
same word can mean "embarassed" (Portuguese) or "pregnant" (Spanish)
Really? I know that's the case in English vs. Spanish, but I'm surprised the Portuguese word has the English meaning.

I once heard a story from Mexico where the pastor called an American lady up in front of the church. She wanted to say "I'm embarrassed, and it's the pastor's fault!" You can probably guess what she REALLY (accidentally) said... :D
0 x

rlima
Pethead
Pethead

another discrepancy

Post by rlima » Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:45 pm

I remembered another discrepancy between Portuguese and Spanish: if you say, "mira!", a Spanish-speaking person will understand "Look!", but a Portuguese-speaking person will understand "Aim a gun!" :lol: . So, if you visit Brazil, be sure if you say "mira" far from an armed person...
0 x
Jesus is my Lord, Brazil is my place and I have a lovely wife and a cute little girl!

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

oh my Sam

Post by epdc » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:47 pm

that`s spo funny :lol
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios

onnyII
Pethead
Pethead

Post by onnyII » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:46 pm

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN ME!!!!!
:lol: LOL
0 x
Yeap.. It Was Me....

Jackie
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jackie » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:30 pm

spanish is a language akin to portuguese. it would be nice to have a forum in portuguese, let's put this idea into action?
0 x

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:26 am

Ok. Someone want to translate the message I have in the Spanish forum to an appropriate message in Portuguese? :)
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

translation into Portugese

Post by Michael » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:34 am

You could always use Babelfish... then your message in Portugese will sound like a cross between the English dialog dubbed into a Japanese movie, and a ransom note. :)

In A.D. 2101
War was beginning.
Captain: What happen ?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It's You !!
Cats: How are you gentlemen !!
Cats: All your base are belong to us.
Cats: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
Cats: You have no chance to survive make your time.
Cats: HA HA HA HA ....
Captain: Take off every 'zig' !!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move 'zig'.
Captain: For great justice.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:13 am

Babelfish is awesome!

Original sentence: "The instructions told me to write a brief autobiography and mail it to the appropriate authorities."

Babelfish translation (english to portuguese to english): "The instructions had said me to write one autobiography soon and to send it it the appropriate authority."
0 x

rlima
Pethead
Pethead

Post by rlima » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:21 pm

Dear Micah, I can translate into Portuguese for you. What message is this?
0 x

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:31 pm

rlima: the message is something like "This forum is for Portuguese speaking Petheads"
0 x

rlima
Pethead
Pethead

Post by rlima » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:00 pm

Dear Micah, here goes the translation: "Este f�rum � para Petheads que falam portugu�s".
0 x

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:24 pm

Ok, it's there. Have fun!
0 x

rlima
Pethead
Pethead

Post by rlima » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:57 pm

Dear Micah, thanks for the Portuguese-speaking forum! It's so sice when people use our humble ideas :lol:! But, can I make a suggestion? Instead of "Portuguese Petheads", you can name it as "Portuguese-speaking Petheads", because it can make some confusion, because we, Brazilians, are Latin also, but we do speak Portuguese instead of Spanish (we were discovered by Portugal, and the other parts of Latin America were discovered by Spain), but we are not Portuguese, who are the folks who was born in Portugal. It's hard to understand, but it's the reality! God bless you! :wink:
0 x

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:35 pm

Ok, I understand!

I'll also rename Latin petheads to Spanish Speaking Petheads.

My mistake!
0 x