Where are the old guys?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
rlima
Pethead
Pethead

Where are the old guys?

Post by rlima » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:57 pm

When I became a Christian, the first Christian record I heard (a LP, I became a Christian in 1988, and there was no CD here in Brazil!) was "Not of This World". It was a mark in my life, because even secular radio stations aired NOTW. While I was hearing "Grave Robber", at some night, I was baptized with the Holy Spirit. Well, this issue, spiritual gifts, are still a taboo here, specially for the non-pentecostal churches, like mine. I even think that I'm a Presbyterian pastor without Presbyterian grimaces :lol:! At that time, we at Brazil didn't have no news about Christian music at all, specially Petra. Now we have the blessed internet :lol: ! I want to know where are now the old folks who did their mark at Petra history, like Mark Kelly, John Slick, Ronnie Cates, John Lawry, Rob Frazier, Greg Volz. Specially for this last one, because I heard about some discussions between him and the other members of Petra as resulting in his pursuing for a solo career. If someone know where are they now and what are they doing, and specially for the question about Volz vs. Petra, give me a feedback, please!
0 x
Jesus is my Lord, Brazil is my place and I have a lovely wife and a cute little girl!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

The old guys...

Post by Shell » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:44 pm

You mean you missed mine and Elo's posts about Ronny? Hahahahahaha. No, Ronny lives in Florida and he has his own recording studio. Johnny Lawry still lives in Nashville I believe and does some producing too. I always assumed Greg just left when it was time for him to; there's been speculation about that forever it seems like. But he does solo albums and has his own web site. I don't know about the others, but I imagine they're still around. :)
0 x

BandaMedley
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BandaMedley » Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:23 pm

But... Why they leave the band??? :(
0 x
www.bandamedley.net

"fique de joelhos e lute como um homem"

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

The old guys....

Post by Shell » Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:55 pm

It's normal for band members to come and go over the years. Their time with Petra was over, they just left when it was time for them to. :)
0 x

String
Pethead
Pethead

Reasons for leaving...

Post by String » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:08 pm

God calls people for a season in life, that's how I look at it. Just as in any other ministry, each individual felt God leading them in another direction.

Let's look at an example on the secular side for me personal....(May not be a good example):

I went to school to be a computer programmer. I started out my vocation as a computer operator, went to Helpdesk, eventually reaching a programmer status. The economy changed my view on programming and I decided to go into other areas such as Tech Support, Web Design, and other platforms.

As poor as this example is, let me tie this back in with Petra band members...past and present.

Greg left the band to be more with his family at the time and later went solo. He currently has his own ministry, serving the Lord as He calls Greg.

Louie Weaver, despite the conditions of his departure, now has his own ministry going as well. My speculation is that God turned a "Why?" situation into a "That's why!!" situation.

Ronny, as stated earlier, left the band for personal reasons only to have his own studio. (By the way, he holds Petra in the highest esteem...check his website out at http://www.ronnycates.com and read for yourself.)

These are just a couple examples of how big God's plans are versus man's/woman's. We may not see the big picture until we are in His arms but sometimes He allows us to see reasons why situations happen in our lives.

I was fortunate to see a portion of this through my dad's death. Questions like "Why did God take him so early?" soon gave light to some information. How much of an impact we have on others, what could have been if he stay with us much longer, and various other insights came to light during this time.

I guess I got a little long-winded (Comes from have three uncles as preachers!!) but it all boils down to this one statement:

God's ways are much better then ours. He has such a broader field of vision then we do!!

Sorry, I don't know if I got off the beat and path here.

Have a great day and fantastic eternity!!
0 x

Susannah
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Susannah » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:51 pm

Just one thing about Ronny...when he left Petra it wasn't until years later that he decided to open his own studio.
0 x
It's His delight to give you your desire; it's His desire to set your life on fire!

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

thank you susannah

Post by epdc » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:22 pm

now people will start asking THEN WHY? and *YOU* are gonna answer them LOL :wink:
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios

String
Pethead
Pethead

If they do, epdc...

Post by String » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:24 pm

If they do, epdc, I'll just say "Cause, I said so! That's why!!". :)
0 x

jasonf
Pethead
Pethead

Ronny

Post by jasonf » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:46 am

It's great to see Ronny having greta success after Petra.There is life after Petra for some.
God Bless
Jason
0 x

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

we can say String

Post by epdc » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:52 am

that he went to another hospital. NO WAIT, that`s dr. Greene. We will make a good story if someone asks :lol:
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios