How about a PETRA EP

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
SolidRockStrength
Pethead
Pethead

How about a PETRA EP

Post by SolidRockStrength » Sun May 15, 2005 2:45 pm

Not sure what EP usually stands for but everytime I have seen one it has only about 6 songs or less. Correct if I wrong, but BOB has a stdio in his house and they have written some new songs, so why not an EP?
Sounds likea good compromise to me. BUt the LIVE album sounds AWESOME!
0 x
Shalom Aleikhem!

Habakkuk 3:19
The ELOHIM ADONAI is my Strength!

brainchild
Pethead
Pethead

Post by brainchild » Sun May 15, 2005 7:55 pm

We need to let them retire in peace! An EP usually refers to 'Extended Play' which means the edits are limited. However, PETRA has decided to move on and we need to respect that. Even an EP needs backing by a label and the 'industry' and, at the moment, that backing just isn't there.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun May 15, 2005 8:12 pm

Actually they could do it all on their own without any backing from a label or the industry and just produce copies when needed. That is what Journey is doing and they are being very successful with it.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

RockOn
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 1982

Post by RockOn » Sun May 15, 2005 8:38 pm

Ya know...

I agree we should let them retire in peace (if that's what they really want)...HOWEVER...if they still had a hankerin' to come up with occassional musical gems, they could do what Phil Keaggy did.
He produced a series of tapes called Backroom Tracks at his home studio and sold them over the internet to whoever wanted them. That way the guys could burn whatever copies were requested and sell them for whatever they feel is necessary.

There wouldn't be any leftover product--they would just copy what they needed and the cost of studio production would be cheap if it's done from Bob's studio.

OR...we could just let them retire in peace. :?
0 x

SolidRockStrength
Pethead
Pethead

Post by SolidRockStrength » Mon May 16, 2005 12:00 am

I am not being a smart aleck, but how does a mid 50 year old man retire in peace? I didn't see that comment anywhere except this thread. They will have to do something for a living. Don't John and Bob both have kids?
don't know about the other two.
0 x
Shalom Aleikhem!

brainchild
Pethead
Pethead

Post by brainchild » Mon May 16, 2005 12:23 am

Obviously they can't retire from LIFE! My point was, if they wish to retire from music, let them. My goodness, they've been goin' for 33 years, guys! That's no small accomplishment.

Yes, Bob and John both have kids (John has 4) and, for the past 6 years, every member has had to supplement their income anyway so it's not like they're freaking out and thinking, "I gotta get a job now." Executioner is right....Journey released RED 13 independently and it did alright. Bands like TOTO are also refusing to go with a label and will still do very well with an independent release. All I'm saying is that, should PETRA choose to retire, let's respect that.
0 x

brainchild
Pethead
Pethead

Post by brainchild » Mon May 16, 2005 12:24 am

Obviously they can't retire from LIFE! My point was, if they wish to retire from music, let them. My goodness, they've been goin' for 33 years, guys! That's no small accomplishment.

Yes, Bob and John both have kids (John has 4) and, for the past 6 years, every member has had to supplement their income anyway so it's not like they're freaking out and thinking, "I gotta get a job now." Executioner is right....Journey released RED 13 independently and it did alright. Bands like TOTO are also refusing to go with a label and will still do very well with an independent release. All I'm saying is that, should PETRA choose to retire, let's respect that.
0 x

SolidRockStrength
Pethead
Pethead

Post by SolidRockStrength » Mon May 16, 2005 12:34 am

Brainchild,

What's your opinion? Was the retirement Petra's choice?

I have to admit I have seen nothing to indicate they want to quit music. Just that the industry is, in my opinion, fickle.

Wow I din't know they had that many children. But I will say this if Petraor maybe just Bob or John released a Solo indie CD I would order it.
After all. I think they recorded Jekyll and Hyde at Bob's Studio?

Could you imagine a Solo Bob Hartman Guitar only CD, SWEET!
0 x
Shalom Aleikhem!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Mon May 16, 2005 6:21 am

Brianchild,

Journey is getting ready to release a full length new album called "Generations" that they completely recorded and manufactured themselves. They are doing the same thing what Keaggy is doing just producing what they need. Neal(guitarist) said that they should have been doing this years ago; They have complete control over everything.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Mon May 16, 2005 6:35 am

Actually John will continue in music, so will Paul and Greg. Bob may have wanted to retire again, so I think they just wanted to leave the PETRA name behind in its class and glory. Its hard to continue on forever, but I still would have liked to hear anything they have drawn up between J & H and now.
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Petras Retirement

Post by PetfanInCt » Mon May 16, 2005 10:15 am

Hi,

I think the whole situation stinks. Petra is known throughout the world for they're music ministry. Why is it that the #1 name in Christian Rock cant sell cd's and concerts. It certainly isnt because they dont have the message or the talent. Its The industry and the Record Label and Management.

The whole age issue is a cop out. Bob can still play guitar and John certainly hasnt lost his voice gimme a break and as far as the other members Greg and Paul the same. The way I've interpreted John and Bobs explaination of how long they wanted to do this thing Petra is to do it until they couldnt do it anymore health wise. So if you ask me. This retirement has been pushed by Inpop and management. Didnt The people at Inpop say that things went so well with JandH that they could easily see a 4-5 record deal. Gimme a break" the whole thing stinks.
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon May 16, 2005 11:20 am

It's natural for people to want to see a final CD when a band they care about is retiring. I don't think it's a matter of not wanting the band to retire in peace; it sounds like that's a done deal anyway no matter what people say. When it comes right down to it, a final CD would have to be up to the band and record company. It can't really do any harm to wish out loud, that's what discussion boards are for. I would like to see a live CD too, but I'm not going to curl up and die if it doesn't happen. :wink:
0 x

crossways
Pethead
Pethead

Post by crossways » Mon May 16, 2005 11:45 am

I think we tend to look at this situation with "rose-colored glasses".

As much I as in my heart and mind Petra is the #1 name in Christian music, most kids today as well as others don't know them. Now that may very well be the fault of the industry, but it's the truth.

I think it has to do with image. You take promo photos of the band circa Beyond Belief and they look like any hard rock band at the time - Christian or secular. Compare that with today. They don't have the current "look" like they did before.

And music just doesn't seem to be as important as look. A band that is signed and upward bound let us open for them. We were talking about this very thing. The lable was very involved with how the band looked and if the were gaining weight, and their clothes, etc.

Very disturbing.
0 x
I KNOW my Redeemer lives!
- Job
www.crimsontruth.com/Forum.htm
www.crimsontruth.com

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon May 16, 2005 1:33 pm

It is normal for young people to want to listen to bands closer to their own age, and it's normal for an initial opinion at least to be formed by how someone looks. It's unfair and shallow though to make assumptions on how someone looks without giving them a chance.

Hehe, all this talk about CDs made me think of when I was in Wisconsin...I teased John about him giving me a prerelease of J&H when I was there and his response was raised eye brows and a quiet but firm "No." He explained it could cause problems for the record company, which makes sense; it would be ridiculous for them to be giving out prereleases to everyone. I assured him I was teasing and he said he knew I was, but I can understand why that would be a touchy area. I can't resist an opportunity to rag on the Schlittmeister though :D. Oh well, I bought J&H only a couple of months after I was in Wisconsin, I didn't have to wait that long.
Last edited by Shell on Tue May 17, 2005 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

brainchild
Pethead
Pethead

Post by brainchild » Mon May 16, 2005 5:49 pm

SolidRockStrength:

Good question. Honestly, I believe the christian music industry is in a disturbing place. There is no doubt in my mind that PETRA's decision to retire is based upon an industry that has lost sight of what true ministry is. However, having said that, the decision is still the band's. The more I think about it, the more I wish they could adopt the same approach as TOTO or JOURNEY.

Executioner,

I can tell you're a JOURNEY fan! Good stuff. I eagerly await the release of 'Generations.' Have you heard what their approach is? The band is going to do a full-blown summer tour called 'An Evening with Journey.' The band will play a solid 2-3 hour show packed with material from pre-Steve Perry to post-Steve Perry. As part of the ticket price, fans will get a free copy of 'Generations' as they walk through the door. Could that work for Petra IF (hypothetically) they were keen to carry on?
0 x