I got the Farewell CD!!!!!!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:05 pm

Well, if that is Brent, he's not the first to make up another user name. Enosh is also the infamous Fakersville. :D

I had heard David was in a band in L.A., but that was awhile back. I haven't heard anything recently.

And a word about speculating when you don't really know the circumstances...It's unfair folks. I don't know all the circumstances, but I know enough about human nature to know it's very rare for one person to be completely at fault in situations like that. There are usually mistakes on the part of everyone involved. We all have the capacity to behave like idiots, it's just a matter of who happens to be the bigger idiot in a given situation. :P He was very young, and young people don't always use the best judgment. And yeah, it's possible the other stuff is true, but someone who doesn't know all the circumstances couldn't know that for sure.

Look at it this way: If it hadn't happened, Bob may not have started touring again.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:13 pm

0 x

Kaiser
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Kaiser » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:54 pm

:o I just logged on his website and checked out his music and really like his style!
0 x

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Trent Thomason and Mike Brandenstein

Post by js3971 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:58 pm

I noticed that Trent Thomason and Mike Brnadenstein weren't listed as well. If I go back and read it again and see their names, I'll need to go get a new prescription for my glasses.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:28 am

Trent was actually asked to be a permanment member but declined because of family. I believe his wife was getting ready to have a baby and they were living in Australia at the time, really a great guy though. Mike was a temp. and that was it. They both only played a handful of shows. If you really want to think about it; If those two were thanked why not Doug Pinnick from King's X? He played bits of two tours while Mark Kelly was off because of his father's illness.

I did make a mistake though and forgot about Bryce Bell. OOPS!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: i

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:04 am

executioner wrote:Trent was actually asked to be a permanment member but declined because of family.
From what I've gathered, he wanted to join the band but didn't want to commit to the rigerous touring schedule. He basically wanted to be a studio-only band member, which really wouldn't have worked.
0 x

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:19 am

yeah, I kind of figured it had something to do with the brevity of their stay as listed on Josh's website. I did notitce too that Bryce Bell wasn't listed either. That was probably just a mistake that his name wasn't there.
0 x

Kirkman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Kirkman » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:39 am

Mountain Man wrote:
executioner wrote:Trent was actually asked to be a permanment member but declined because of family.
From what I've gathered, he wanted to join the band but didn't want to commit to the rigerous touring schedule. He basically wanted to be a studio-only band member, which really wouldn't have worked.
I could be wrong, but my understanding was that Petra wasn't touring *ENOUGH*. He would have joined them if they had a solid year of touring ahead so that he could make enough money to support his family. But without a busy schedule, he couldn't justify uprooting his family from Australia, etc.

--Josh
0 x
[url=http://petrarocksmyworld.com][img]http://www.petrarocksmyworld.com/ads/rocks_ban2.gif[/img][/url]
[b]Petra Rocks My World[/b] -- [i]a site for fans across the globe[/i]! With song lyrics, interviews, newsletter, messageboard, chat room, and more!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:40 pm

My copy arrived in the mail today, a day early!

First impressions:

This album kicks! I'm loving Bob's guitar being up-front in the mix where I can actually hear it. I particularly enjoyed hearing--seemingly for the first time--the solo from Amazing Grace which was buried in the Revival mix.

John sounds terrific! It sounds like he held back a little in the opening number, but once he warmed up, he really let loose, even hitting some impressively high notes.

The instrument solos were nice but too short! It seemed like Bob was just getting started and then it was over. Same with Lawry. I understand Lawry's solo was trimmed, but was Bob's cut down to size as well?

Liner notes were o.k. The best part are the pictures in the middle. I could have done without the cheesy essay on the inside page, or at least a better written one. And oddly enough, Jim Cooper's "thank yous" has the apostrophes (') as commas (,) so it looks like "I,m thankful to be a part of Petra,s ministry." Very strange.

Greg Baily gets to showboat a little during Right Place. Very nice! (Listening to it right now. :D)

I usually don't like medlys, but the ones on Farewell are pretty good. They actually play a good portion of each song so you don't feel like you're being cheated. And It Is Finished absolutely rocks with just guitar, bass, and drums! I was also pleasantly surprised to hear Bob and Greg Baily play a guitar version of Lawry's It Is Finish keyboard solo.

All in all, this is an excellent send off for one of Christian music's greatest bands. I'm lovin' it!
0 x

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:23 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Edward wrote:1. BobwastheonethatchoseLichens.
2. Lichenswantedtobearockstarandlivedlikeit.
3. LichensjeopardizedPetra'srelationshipswithguitar/ampmanufacturers withquestionableactivities.
How do you know?
1. Louietoldmeso
2. Louietoldmeso
3. Louietoldmeaswellasotherartistendorsementreps.
0 x

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:14 am

executioner wrote: If those two were thanked why not Doug Pinnick from King's X? He played bits of two tours while Mark Kelly was off because of his father's illness.
whoa, Doug Pinnick played for Petra?
when was that?
0 x
i wanna live until i die.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:26 am

He played random dates in 1986-1987 for Mark because his dad was ill. I really don't know how many dates he played. I saw Petra on both of those tours(2 times TMW!) and Mark was with them both times. Hopefully this happen before Doug proclaim his sexual preference.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:56 am

I was very surpised to find my copy in the mail this morning. I had ordered it at Christiandiscs.com (the one with the signatures of the band and Greg X. Volz). Since I'm located in the Netherlands I would not have expected the CD to arrive before next week.

At this moment I'm listening the album for the first time. I've just read the booklet and I'm not terribly excited about the artwork. But I guess Inpop did a fair job on such short notice. I'll be seeing Petra twice (December 3rd and 4th), so I'm very happy with the album.

I just noticed that Petra is using a sampling device. Listen to the rock medley at the beginning of Think Twice. I think I also heard it earlier on the album, but I don't recall where. I'm a bit disappointed Petra started using samples since they began touring JAH. But hey, Petra still ROCKS!!!
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:14 pm

I got mine yesterday. Haven't had a chance to actually sit down and listen to it yet, I'll do that in the next couple of days.

Being the sentimental person I am, I like pics and the liner notes. The bit with Jim's thank you is probably just a typo.
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Michael » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:01 pm

p-freak wrote:I just noticed that Petra is using a sampling device. Listen to the rock medley at the beginning of Think Twice. I think I also heard it earlier on the album, but I don't recall where. I'm a bit disappointed Petra started using samples since they began touring JAH.
That's ALWAYS been a sample. Give the original a listen; it sounds exactly the same.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]