I got the Farewell CD!!!!!!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:26 pm

The whole No Doubt album was sample after sample after sample.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:03 pm

Of course the albums are sample after sample. But I had never heard Petra use samples in their live shows until I saw them on the Jekyll And Hyde tour in June 2004. I'm talking about live recordings here. I got over 40 hours of Petra live-recordings lying around in my house. I will check some recordings from the No Doubt tour to see if they did use samples back then. Could be, but my first Petra-show was in 1997 and since then the June 2004 show on the Jekyll And Hyde tour was the first time I heard them use samples in a live-show.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:43 pm

I hope I don't sound like a complete idiot here... but are you referring to "samples" as, like for example, the opening riffs in JAH that were pre-recorded and played (but not really "played") in concert performances?
0 x

brothertom
Pethead
Pethead

Post by brothertom » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:41 pm

I received my Farewell CD in the mail today. Right on time, I guess. In a word, WOW!! :D :D I was impressed from start to finish. I did get a scare, though, as I was playing the acoustic set. John was singing, '..all you really need to have is' when Graverobber started. That couldn't be right, could it? Turns out that my iTunes botched the import of the acoustic set, and left off the last third of it. All was OK when I re-imported it.

Tom
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:18 pm

Since I did not get my copy of the Farewell CD in the mail today, I went to the Best Buy and got one. (The one yet to come will make a nice Christmas present.) I love it, but that is no surprise.

What WAS a surprise, and quite funny, is that when John Lawry started his "Jesus Loves You" solo, our cats went nuts! They were freaked out. They kept twitching their ears and looking at each other worriedly. It was a riot. I'm sure John L would be so proud! :lol:
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:17 pm

p-freak wrote:Of course the albums are sample after sample. But I had never heard Petra use samples in their live shows until I saw them on the Jekyll And Hyde tour in June 2004. I'm talking about live recordings here. I got over 40 hours of Petra live-recordings lying around in my house. I will check some recordings from the No Doubt tour to see if they did use samples back then. Could be, but my first Petra-show was in 1997 and since then the June 2004 show on the Jekyll And Hyde tour was the first time I heard them use samples in a live-show.
They have played to tracks/loops for years. The used to carry analog decks, and then when digital hit, they played tracks from a Tascam DA88. Slick did arpeggiated stuff, and Lawry perfected that too.

I am vibrating the walls with my copy of We Quit right now. Bob gets some mean tones without amplifiers.

Some say Pillar is the new Petra. Nah.
0 x

abuelito
Pethead
Pethead

"Bitter Sweetness!"

Post by abuelito » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:33 pm

I hold in my hands PETRA's final album!
Somebody pinch me! This can't be!....

:,o(
0 x
JJ<><
"Petra will always mean rock!"

drcoolguy
Pethead
Pethead

Post by drcoolguy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:23 am

Edward wrote:Some say Pillar is the new Petra. Nah.
I really like Pillar, but there is a long way to go until that claim can gain teeth. I'm not saying it couldn't, but not yet. I remember going to see The Fifth Element in the theater ("a fool and his money are soon parted") and that night saw an ad for it that quoted some non-descript movie critic as saying "It's Star Wars for the next generation." I literally did a spit-take. It's an even more amusing absurdity years later.

Somehow the expression "Test of Time" works itself into the train of thought. :D

For what it is worth (which is nothing) I actually see Third Day more in that role if you want to pigeon-hole somebody.
0 x
[img]http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/2153/petrasig0gb.jpg[/img]

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:04 am

p-freak wrote: had never heard Petra use samples in their live shows until I saw them on the Jekyll And Hyde tour in June 2004.
The 1985 Beat the System tour used a fair amount of "sampling" and pre-recorded material.

About the new album, I was listening to it the other night on a boombox in the kitchen. Dance came on and my 19 month old ran into the room and started doing the most adorable headbang you've ever seen! I guess he's been paying attention when daddy listens to Petra. That's my boy! :D
0 x

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

LOL Calicowriter's cats

Post by js3971 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:27 am

That is absolutely hilarious. I guess if you really wanted to drive them crazy just put that song on repeat for a few hours. When that song comes on my dogs don't go crazy, but they do look at the stereo with that head tilt that dogs do, then look at each other and at me as if to say, "What's up with that."

If you've seen the live concert of this tour, turn the CD up as much as you, your family and neighbors can stand, stand somewhere in between the speakers just in front of them, and you will feel like you're at the concert. At least that's the feeling I've got when I've done that. So far, I've not heard any complaints from my neighbors. LOL! Maybe if I play the keyboard solo on repeat really loud, I could make them tilt their heads and go crazy.
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

third

Post by Michael » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:42 am

drcoolguy wrote:For what it is worth (which is nothing) I actually see Third Day more in that role if you want to pigeon-hole somebody.
Have you seen the cover of this month's CCM Mag? It's a big pic of Third Day with the text, "When Rock Cries Out" on top of it!
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

darthpethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by darthpethead » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:56 am

I have a pretty good idea but what is a sample soes that mean they dont actually play some of the songs live
0 x
Holy Moley

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:08 am

I think Third Day could be a good fit in that role. I can't think of anyone else offhand that would really be defined that way right now. Newsboys have been around for a while now. Although they've had some good albums, I can't say they've had the impact that Petra had during their peak. Mercy Me comes to mind in some ways, although their music now is a bit mellow. They do have some greatly annointed songs though. There's just not a group that really seems to have their lyrics just saturated with the Word the way Petra always did.

In discussing all of this though, a group can only be what God has called them to be. He won't call them to be Petra because only Petra could do that. If a group is faithful to what God calls them to be, then God could put them in a role similiar to the one that Petra had.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Lost Interest

Post by BForm » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:43 am

I'll have to listen to some recent Third Day but I don't know. I really liked them after their first two or three albums and really thought we could have another Petra. But then everything started sounding the same and the lyrics seemed really shallow. They really seemed to fit in well with the fluffy content on AC stations, only with just a tad rockier sound. I have everything through their fourth CD and then gave up on them.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

r_karlsson22
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire
Pethead since: 1996

Post by r_karlsson22 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:19 am

I got the Farewell cd today! I really lov it!
I look forward to the concerts in this weekend in Sweden and Norway! :D
0 x
https://twitter.com/RickardWidgren
http://AboutRickard.com
Instagram: rickardwidgren