Farewell CD tracks, and the originals

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Farewell CD tracks, and the originals

Post by Michael » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:09 pm

If you visit my Petra Farewell page and click "Compare tracks to the original recordings" (right under the track list) you can listen to clips of the original recordings back to back with the live recordings of the same songs. I didn't do the medleys (too many songs!), but all of the others are included (even John Lawry's keyboard solo!) I tried to cut the clips as close to the same spots as I could, to make for a fair comparison.

It's cool to hear how much harder "Amazing Grace" rocks! "Beyond Belief" comes off rockier in the live version, too. It's also interesting to note that they played a few of the songs in a different key. Figure that one out. Some of the songs don't sound quite as punchy compared to their studio counterparts ("Test of Time" is a prime example), although it's clearly a case of "sounds better in the context of the concert than out of context." Strangely, "Jekyll & Hyde" has a different quality to it... the album track is more aggressive, but the concert track is more sinister. And "He Came, He Saw..." is noticeably faster in the live version.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

Anton
Pethead
Pethead

great idea

Post by Anton » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:08 am

Great idea with the comparisons side by side - wow so good to hear.

well done!
0 x

jimmye4563
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jimmye4563 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:04 am

Thanks. That was Cool!!
0 x
"You say you've walked ten thousand steps away, but don't you know that it's only one step back?"

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:03 am

I assume by "different key" you meant lower key live as opposed to the studio. That's very typical. Although most people who like the 80's metal voices want them in the clouds, the truth of the matter is the studio covers up a multitude of sins. Singing in a lower key helps them to hold it together better live.

Greg was really singing lower and, as pointed out by another, struggled to hold it together; especially on Graverobber. It's wasn't that he was terribly off key. IT just sounded like such a struggle to keep it tight. He used to really be able to get up in the clouds live and just nail it.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Volz

Post by Michael » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:31 am

Most of the songs are in the same key as the studio recordings; it's just a few that are different.

The Volz clip is unfortunate; he sounds pretty wobbly on that first chorus, with that craaaaazy vibrato, but I wanted to match the clip I had for the original song. On the second chorus he sounds much more solid.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

SamScales
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by SamScales » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:02 pm

MJ - you got WAAAAY too much time on your hand!!!!

HAHAHAHA!!

But thats a great idea. I don't have the chance to listen to it, till I get my puter going again, but just reading the descriptions, it sounds really interesting to make the comparisons.

You rock, MJ! 8) 8)
0 x

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Farewell CD tracks, and the originals

Post by petrafan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:34 pm

Michael wrote: Strangely, "Jekyll & Hyde" has a different quality to it... the album track is more aggressive, but the concert track is more sinister. And "He Came, He Saw..." is noticeably faster in the live version.
none of the live renditions i've heard of "Jeckyll & Hyde" (including the one i've seen live at the Petra concert in S�o Paulo in 2004) is nearly as good as the album cut.
reasons for that:
1- they sing it live on a lower key (D on the album, C live)
2- the live versions lack the reverber when John sings the "Hyyyyyyyyyyyde" on the chorus, and he also sustains this part more in the album than live.
0 x
i wanna live until i die.

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:30 pm

It's pretty much impossible to get the punch of a carefully produced studio cut in a live recording like this.
0 x

seichu kaisho
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

J-J-J-Jes�s t-t-t-te am-am-ama!

Post by seichu kaisho » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:54 pm

I don't have the CD yet, but when I listened to the song clips I noticed that most of the songs on Farewell are a half step lower than their original recordings. for instance "Jekyll and Hyde," which is in D minor on the studio album, was played in C-sharp minor on Farewell. "Beyond Belief" is in the key of E on the studio album, and E-flat on farewell.

I really loved listening to the clips and hearing how different they sound compared to the original recordings I'm so familiar with. And the keyboard solo clip really cracked me up and totally amazed me. ("J-j-j-Jesus loves you j-j-j, J-J-J, j-j-j-j-j-Jesus loves you") that's so cool, lol lol lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
[i]shokai chusei!![/i]

beak
Pethead
Pethead

key changes?

Post by beak » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:17 am

Actually what musicians do is tune there instruments to 430 instead of 440 like on the albums, slightly lower than 440. It saves the lead singers voice to actually survive touring. I know, I was a lead singer that sang like John,Greg of Petra and almost everyone does it. Bride actually recorded in 430 and you thought Dale Thompson was this great singer didn't you!! I highly doubt that John Schlitt could even sing those older songs in 440 any longer or even did the first time since you can change the key of any song with the right equipment. Creed is a classic example that is super hard to do live without lowering it just alittle so a male can hit those high notes in falsetto. When it comes to Greg X Volz not being up to par I strongly disagree, the differences is just in his style of the song, he's been singing these same songs with his tracks for over 20 years. I believe for man being in his 50's he still holds his own very well.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

y

Post by executioner » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:52 am

I personally feel like the vocals on Farewell are great, but you arre not ever going to get the same quality out of a live album that you get out of a studio album. All artists sing a step slower/lower live than in the studio.
I know Bon Jovi sings his older stuff live it is alot more low than the actual studio versions.
0 x

seichu kaisho
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

tyme tu goe upp doun

Post by seichu kaisho » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:12 am

I watched part of a U2 concert (from the year 2002) on television and noticed that the band took some songs down a whole step (two half-steps), including "Pride / In the Name of Love" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday." What's odd is that they took "Out of Control" up a half-step.
0 x
[i]shokai chusei!![/i]

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: y

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:37 pm

executioner wrote:I know Bon Jovi sings his older stuff live it is alot more low than the actual studio versions.
I saw their set from the Live8 deal, and Jon Bon Jovi it seems doesn't even try to hit the high notes any more as they were provided by a track. He'd stop singing, let the track take it for a few seconds, then start singing again.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: key changes?

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:44 pm

beak wrote:When it comes to Greg X Volz not being up to par I strongly disagree...
It's quite apparent from the Farewell recording that he certainly doesn't have the pipes he used to. Listen to "Grave Robber" on Captured in Time and Space where he effortlessly hits every note in the song. On Farewell, he audibly strains to hit the high notes, and other times he doesn't even try which lends his performance a rather flat quality that lacks "pop" (as my wife put it).

He's still a good singer, no doubt, but he's not the singer he used to be.
0 x

beak
Pethead
Pethead

Greg X Volz

Post by beak » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:29 pm

Yeh, Greg isn't exactly like he used to be, he didn't do all that fancy stuff like on the live album that was like 20 years ago. I'm sure we all wanted that recorded again, exactly like it was 20 years ago. I really never heard much straining on Greg's side but with John I hear ALOT of straining, but I understand completely, shows catch up to you after singing almost every night. When it comes to losing the so called POP, I would say that's completely your opinion. For a fifty plus guy I would say he sounds excellent to me. BEAK
0 x