The Early Years

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

The Early Years

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:02 am

Does anyone out there still get into the first 3 Petra albums?

Well I do. Maybe it's that 70's sound I miss? Granted, the sound is a LOT different than contemporary Petra, but it's still Petra. I even like Lucas McGraw. My kids hate it.

I would think that older Petheads out there who grew up in the 70's (people in their mid-to-late 30's) and listened to the radio back then would like the early stuff. I like the way Bob gets down on those extended guitar riffs. There is almost NO lead guitar in today's rock, and I miss that in Jekyll & Hyde.
0 x

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:02 am

I have "Petra" the original. Only listened to it one and a half times though. Maybe it's time to pull it out again.

I've listened to "Come and Join Us." Didn't really care for it, so never bought it. It's the only Petra studio album I don't have. I suppose I should get it just to complete my collection.

I have Washes Whiter Than, and do like some songs on it, mainly I'm Thankful and Why Should the Father Bother. The others I'm not too crazy about.
0 x

Corval
Pethead
Pethead

Hi

Post by Corval » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:47 am

I am 25 years and I from Brazil.

I have "Come and Join us" . A friend of mine have "PETRA" I prefer "Come and Joins us" in comparisson with "PETRA".

WASHES WITHER THAN/NEVER SAY DIE i do not have. I know some songs from them.

CITS i do not have too. The others albuns I have!

God bless

Artur
www.ondagospel.com.br
0 x
Be happy

Pethead1
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Pethead1 » Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:39 am

I love the first ones. My Pethead parrioit LOVES Lucas McGraw. He dances to it. And stomps his foot. He looks like Stive Wonder on JAH.
0 x
Those asleep will be awakened
Not a one will be forsaken.

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

I have...

Post by Shell » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:56 am

All of them; I haven't listened to the older ones for awhile. I like "Washes Whiter Than".
0 x

Corval
Pethead
Pethead

Hi

Post by Corval » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:30 pm

Petra is always good!

They are a great ministry

Artur 8)
0 x
Be happy

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

I have 'em too!

Post by superfly » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:24 am

I have those first three albums on CD and listen to them when in the mood. I like Lucas McGraw too. If you can understand how the whole bluegrass/country thing was done tongue-in-cheek, it's really a brilliant song. Also, there's some fast pickin' going on there. If you listen to the chord progressions, you can really tell that Bob wrote that, especially during the instrumental/solo part. This is a sign of true musicianship...a young band deciding to do a country song, so they pick a theme and develop it lyrically so it fits, write authentic music that fits, and play it so that it doesn't sound fake. I don't think many rock bands could be that creative. And then in a similar process did Backsliding Blues...again a very creative idea. If they had more money for production and had Greg X. Volz or John Schlitt singing back then, I think the album PETRA would be one of their best!
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

all that's left of me is gonna be my clothes

Post by Michael » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:10 am

Mikey (the Official Pethead Baby, who is now 3 1/2) LOVES "Gonna Fly Away" ...go figure! :)
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:01 am

I really like the first two a lot. Washes Whiter Than, I'm a little lukewarm on. But I like the song Taste and See - I love to crank that tune. It's so much fun!
0 x

Petranut
Pethead
Pethead

1st 3 Petra Albums

Post by Petranut » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:31 am

I listen to them every couple of months just to listen to something different.
I really like Come and Join Us the best, but Petra and Washes Whiter Than are good albums.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:29 am

One of my favourite all-time Petra songs is on their first album: Walking in the Light. That song just plain rocks. Straight ahead no holds barred rock n roll. I love the twined guitar sound that they use a lot on the Myrrh releases. Very cool. So many good songs on that album: Storm Comin', Get Back to the Bible. Come and Join Us has some great rockers on it too, like Sally, Without You I Would Surely Die, and Woman Don't You Know with the big drum solo.

As for WWT, it has some good moments, like Taste and See, but I don't find myself listening to it all that much. The album is a bit of an oddity for a few reasons. Stylistically it is vastly different from any other Petra album. It also heavily features Rob Frazier on lead vocals, and then it ended up being his only album with the band.
0 x

RockMe
Pethead
Pethead

First Albums

Post by RockMe » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:53 pm

The first album has some neat guitar work but not much else (although some of the lyrics are quite funny). Come and Join Us also has some neat guitar work and is an all-around better album. It's their best pre-80s effort. Washes Whiter Than is IMHO putrid pop (with only two listenable songs), and I never would have bought it if they hadn't combined it with Never Say Die on CD. I often wonder how different Petra's later sound would have been if they hadn't softened it so much on WWT. I think they would have been more like Rez probably.
0 x

Corval
Pethead
Pethead

Hi

Post by Corval » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:42 pm

People

It is a personnal question
I am a slowly guy..
But PETRA teaches loving Rock and Roll.
I was told to me to not accept this!

But Petra teaches me! So, I love all the albuns. Nut It is me.aND I prefer slowly songs... But..It is funny that my favorite albun is ON FIRE!

HYes..I have learned tje PETRA'S LESSON..LOL!

Artur
0 x
Be happy

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:52 pm

How interesting... all the different attitudes about Washes Whiter Than.

Of the first three, WWT is my favorite. I love hard rock as much as the next Pethead, but WWT not only reveals a softer side of Petra, it shows how much they were maturing as songwriters. I think WWT was a much more accomplished recording than "Petra" and "Come & Join Us" from an artistic standpoint. Whether it's hard or soft rock is just a matter of preference.

The songs on WWT are well written, and Rob Frazier's additions of Morning Star, Without You, and Magic Words are all very solid. Some may think Magic Words is cheesy with Greg's falsetto dominating (the second verse, I think), but actually, it shows the incredible control he had as well as the dynamics of his voice.

Why Should The Father Bother and Yahweh Love are two awesome classics that I think all Petheads can agree on. How could anyone NOT like them? Bob very cleverly penned the lyrics with much deeper relevance to the Christian faith than ever before as a result as his own personal growth. It is this kind of penmanship that hooked me on Petra long ago.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

He.

Post by Shell » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:01 pm

"Why Should The Father Bother" and "Yahweh Love" are wonderful songs. Some opinionated folks think rock is the only valid sort of music. :D
Kidding. We all have our preferences.
0 x